Toy Soldiers for PC

This Xbox title is now available for the PC. Looks worth giving a try.

Or for fucks’ sakes, $7.50? What are you trying to do to me, gaming? KILL ME WITH AWESOME?!

:) I hope it’s a decent port.

“This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time.”

Methinks it’s getting slammed.

It’s up and running, and QUITE excellent!

note: played with 360 controller

I was wondering when this would finally show up in the Steam catalog, awesome. I’m split on whether to use the 360 pad for this, does it let you do the seamless self-detecting switching input (as in I drop the 360 controller and grab the mouse and it works fine without me having to go into an options menu) thing that quite a few games do nowadays?

I’ve been waiting for this to come to the PC for quite some time. I’ll probably pick it up pretty soon. I’ve heard it’s not the greatest port though – at least as far as configuration options go.

No, you need to select one or the other. Honestly, it’s balanced pretty well for the 360 controller. I’m not sure what configuration options are supposed to be there which aren’t, however … Shadari?

Some folks on the Steam forums mentioned that things like graphics options (resolution and so on) were limited.

Wow its region lock. Bummer…

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Ah. Yeah, that’s true: it goes up to 1680x1050 for me, no AA (although you can turn shadows on and off). It’s a true port from all that I can tell - no enhanced graphics or anything, just inclusion of keyboard and mouse support. I suppose that may be a little bit of a let-down, but the graphics are cartooney enough that I really doubt we’d see much of an advantage from better resolutions.

Just purchased, I hope it goes up to at least 1920x1080? I suppose I’ll find out soon enough. I love the concept and art, they had me from the day it was released on XBL (or rather the day Giantbomb uploaded their quicklook).

I hate to be that guy, but you PC folks are really missing out by playing Toy Soldiers instead of Toy Soldiers: Cold War. Just get an Xbox already!

-Tom

EDIT: Oh, man, there was DLC for Toy Soldiers? I wonder if they added some of the Cold War awesome to the original Toy Soldiers?

I don’t think they did… It wasn’t until after I bought this that I remembered that it was Cold War that Tom was praising. It’s pretty bog standard with the added annoyance of having no way to configure keyboard commands. Hey devs, some left handers don’t use wasd at all.

it doesn’t.

i like it, i think it’s the world war one theme that does it, normally i don’t really get much out of this style of game, but this is neat.

I’ve got an XBox 360, I just don’t like using it!!
I’ve mainly used it for racing games with a couple sports thrown in.

My guess is that they will port Cold War if this one sells well on the PC.

That is the resolution I like too. If you have an ATI card, in the ATI control center there is an option. If you set your desktop resolution to something less than the native resolution then you can have it display the image centered instead of stretched out. That way the quality looks good but it just doesn’t fill up the whole screen.

Why am I now a bad girl when I hit 10 posts?

Congratulations, - social worker, here.

Anyway, I can only hope this means Cold War and the DLC will eventually come to the PC. I have a 360, but I don’t purchase any downloadable stuff for it for fear MS servers get overrun yet again.

I seem to recall Tom saying good things about the other Toy Soldiers, too. Am I wrong??

3.74 Great British Pounds for a UK based denizen.

Sold.

One day, I may even play it.

Hey, great! I wanted a PC version of this back when the Xbox discussion was open.

I ain’t getting no Xbox, because back in 2003 Dave Long convinced me to hate them. Also, with all my music and video gizmos I don’t have any inputs left on my TV or amp.