Toy Story 3

Bingo.

The moment when Andy’s Mom stops and looks at his room with almost everything all packed up was the moment when I lost it.

Good point; I noticed the camera lingering on that photo, and now I see why.

Awwww!

Well, mine is in bed, not able to fall asleep due to nightmares from the damned monkey. :) Heh.

Brilliant.

Pish. The aliens have transcended their previous narrow theocratic discipline and realized that truly thou art God as Michael Valentine Smith would have it, or in their case, thou art The Claw – they seized the power of life and death itself, realizing that they are not merely passive bystanders subject to the random whims of fate, but instead masters of their cute little alien destiny.

Yeah, I wept from the moment they were back in Andy’s room right through the Rebecca playtime. Andy DID play with them all one more time. Man, how lovely it all was…

GREAT end to the trilogy. Will there ever be a #4, I wonder?

Pixar has said they plan on making shorts with the Toy Story toys.

Yeah, there will be a short with Buzz and Woody next year, but at this point they have no intention of making another full feature movie.

I plan to never see any movies in theaters with my kids unless the majority of people on Qt3 have given the thumbs-up and alexlitel has said something that makes it sound bad. Thus do I hope to avoid blowing $70 on crap and then having to lie about it. We have a projector at home, every damn cartoon they watch is like a movie, we don’t need to go to the actual theater for crapflix. This will probably go right the fuck out the window when they hit elementary school and the peer pressure comes down like an almighty hammer.

I just came back from watching it.
I’m going to go to sleep now, but I always thought there was no such thing as the greatest film ever. But I know this is that upper tier. Pixar, you unlocked my heart, and there are not many movies that can say that. You have created the greatest film trilogy I’ve ever seen, and one that touched in my early childhood, late childhood, and now my early adult life. I won’t remember the movies every day of my life. But every time I do, there will be a part of me that remembers the magic we shared for a couple of hours. The magic of imagination, of dreams, of love, and of innocence. But maybe most of all, I’ll remember that amid all the chaos of life, that the little things make everything worth it.

To complete the sequence, there’s a fourth step. Go listen to the Quarter to Three Movie Podcast on the movie and see what you have to look forward to in your later adult life, when you get jaded and can only see what’s wrong with things. :)

Nawid. Given your post. All I can say is…Don’t. Do. This.

Seriously. Just enjoy your bliss.

Please.

-xtien

“I should have seen this coming.”

True story: the director of Shrek Forever After calls me a couple weeks back to see if I’m “available” to provide my “perspective” on something. Thinking that it’s at best work-related, at worst him wanting my guarded take on his movie I finally got around to seeing, I finally win/lose the ensuing phone tag and tell him, yeah I’ve been “available” for a few months now…so what’s he need?

Him: “Dude…Wasn’t Toy Story 3 amazing?”

I kind of hope it’s the last one. There haven’t been so many curtain calls in a movie since Lethal Weapon IV.

It was a pleasant movie, like spending time with elderly grandparents. Very familiar (even repetitive) and warm if a little slower and weaker, a few emotional stings, and you’re grateful for the time spent.

I cried. How did Pixar get such story telling wisdom?

Apparently not from Dreamworks…

How to Train Your Dragon was fantastic. They’re getting there.

They just need to see why Shrek went downhill so fast and why, looking toward Disney, Aladdin has aged so poorly while Beauty and the Beast and Lion King and Mulan remain timeless. Packing your films with pop culture references makes for a movie that won’t watch the same next year, much less to your kids or their kids.

Then again, I wish Disney’d stop it with the goddam stunt VO casting.

What do you mean stunt VO casting?

Another reason I like Pixar over the other animation studios is that they don’t always hire big name Hollywood stars. Kids don’t give two shits about Brad Pitt – what’s the point of having some Hollywood hunk doing VO if you can’t see him? Ratatouille had Patton Oswalt!

Pixar has the luxury of not having to do this anymore. But way back when, they were arguably doing this when they got Tom Hanks and Tim Allen for the original Toy Story.

But the reasoning behind it is that it’s a way to sell a movie. Celebrities sell! And whereas Pixar has been making great movies, Dreamworks tends to make product. And an important part of making a product is marketing it. Dreamworks does a pretty good job of this. There haven’t been four Shrek movies for no reason, you know. :)

Oh, and guess what the tag line is on the Master Mind posters I’ve seen. “Ferrell vs. Pitt”. Good lord…

-Tom

There was a preview for that with Inception today. I don’t think they could possibly have made me want to avoid the movie more. Dreamworks has some truly terrible trailers. Even How To Train Your Dragon, probably Dreamworks’ best film so far, in my opinion, has trailers that make it look horrid. They should cull the whole trailer department, if such a thing exists.

Seeing the trailer at a Despicable Me showing, I’m deliberately going to watch Despicable Me again in 3D, while avoiding Master Mind. Way to sell the other guys dreamworks.

You just answered your own question.

Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid didn’t need big name stars movie stars. Hell, a lot of the actors came from the musical world. Or were, and this one is wacky, actual professional voice actors! While Eddie Murphy was fun in Mulan (Donkey before Donkey in Shrek) Robin Williams kind of makes Aladdin unwatchable these days and stuff like Tarzan suffers from having flash-in-the-pan ‘stars’ like Rosie O’Donnell in major roles.

I never heard of the term stunt VO before.

But yeah I hate it when studios hire big name movie stars (at the time) for their name recognition instead of VO talent. Movie actors rely their facial and body language as well on screen. It takes a lot of talent with just using your voice to convey what the animators will be doing (I really don’t like Disney’s selection of the English dubs for some of the Miyazaki movies for this reason).