Tracking movies you want to watch

40! Haha. You got me.
Also, point taken on Kingdom of Heaven. I think this list was for back in the day before Netflix was ubiquitous. I needed ideas for when I went to the video rental store. These days my “list” is “look and see what’s on Netflix”.

Semi-tangent: does anyone know what “passed” refers to? Normally PG/R ratings would appear next to the year of the film

For pre-1968 movies, it just means the movie passed for viewing under the Hays Code. Sometimes it says ‘approved’.

Movies were either judged moral or immoral, no shades of gray here.

Thanks! TIL, who knew. Well you and not me obviously.

Now I want to see an immoral movie that didn’t pass.

Both Letterboxd and reelgood sound like good options you guys. I had no idea such things existed. That’s a great useful idea.

Don’t forget about trakt.tv too. It handles movies too despite the Tuvaluvian (?) TLD

can you launch shows from Letterboxd? That is one thing I really like about Reelgood. The list feature of Letterbox sounds cool too though.

No, although it does show you which streaming service has it.

Having experimented with both the last few days, I’m curious why people like Letterboxd over Reelgood? It seems it only has user reviews and more lists, but I much prefer Reelgood steaming services and Rotten Tomatoes integration. Just wondering if I’m missing something about why Letterboxd is more popular…

I don’t use Reelgood (if fact I hadn’t heard of it before you mentioned it) so I can’t speak to it’s popularity. It seems to be focused on streaming aggregation, where Letterboxd is more of a film-snob social network. I track what I watch on Letterboxd (when I remember to do it) and follow a bunch of interesting critics and podcasters and just regular insightful folks and see what they’re watching and what they think of what they’re watching.

I’m not sure they overlap all that much.

Letterboxd has the most mindshare I believe.

It’s also where the director of 2015’s Fantastic Four 5 reviewed his own movie:

I just use an Evernote note at the moment. Letterboxd looks like it might be interesting, but

a) How mandatory/intrusive is the social aspect of it? I don’t want to share my lists or see recommendations or stuff like that, I just want to make a note of what I want to watch, with a bit of metadata to disambiguate titles and perhaps remind me why I shortlisted it.

b) How comprehensive is the database? Is it just scraping IMDB or is it proprietary? Unless they’re brand new, most of the time the films I’m shortlisting are relatively hard to find, because otherwise I’d just queue them up rather than writing them down.

With regards to

a: I’m not using the social aspect of it at all and it doesn’t really affect me. I’m solely using Letterboxd to keep track of stuff I want to watch or watched. The watchlist or any other list you set up can be public or private.

b: https://letterboxd.com/about/film-data/

I spent forever on trakt yesterday, rating films 6 or 7 per page, and got tired of it after a while.

I followed the link and signed up for Letterboxd today, and their way to present films is to present them 72 at a time, in a 12 by 6 grid. I’ve already gone through 144 movies in a few minutes with a heart or no heart, and marked them viewed, or added them to the watchlist. This is a way better interface than trakt.

My wife and I started a new Trello board so we could remember which movies and shows we wanted to watch together in theaters or the different streaming services. It’s not too different from using the service for synchronized grocery or other to-do lists.

Woah woah woah! I hope you’re only talking about the theatrical cut, not the director’s cut! The director’s cut is terrific!

Yes, we saw Kingdom of Heaven in the theaters. I can’t imagine us going back to check out the director’s cut, but that’s fascinating that it was changed enough to actually matter to somebody. My wife actually fell asleep during the movie, and I wish I had. There are only 2-3 movies we still bitch about having wasted money to see in the theater, but this is one of them.

Orlando Bloom is still a weak lead, but SO much context, subplots, and character development is added in the extra fifty minutes (well, there’s an overture and I think an entr’acte, too) that, yeah, it’s remarkable how great the finished product is and how much better it is compared to the “original”.

I enjoy the diary function of letterboxd, going over the movies I watched in the last few months every once in a while. And the aforementioned big-ass display of miniaturized movie posters made it really easy for me to mark EVERY SINGLE MOVIE I’VE EVER WATCHED as seen. Took only a few evenings.

I may just be being dumb, but is there any way to make notes on a film in your watchlist, to explain why you put it on your watchlist (or any other note you might want to make). I can only seem to do it by reviewing the film, which Letterboxd assumes means I’ve watched it, taking it off my watchlist. Failing that, I’m having to create a private list for each reason and then allocate the films to them, which seems suboptimal.