Transformers One - Thor, ScarJo, Buscemi, Morpheus, Hamm - CG movie

OMG, now we need a subforum for cartoons!

I tried to watch the last Transformers movie. The one with the robot monkey. I really did. I just couldn’t make it. I think my brief dalliance with the franchise began and ended with the one with Stanley Tucci. I don’t even remember the name. The Transformers Go to China, I think.

That’s Age of Extinction where Tucci plays an evil CEO who cooperates with the evil robots, travels to China and drinks milk. The weird thing is that he was also in the next movie, The Last Knight, in a bit part as Merlin.

Whoa, I can’t believe I forgot that. Or should I say oh my god.

Speaking of, I think I know what dumb movie imma rewatch this weekend. Spoiler: it involves attacking Hong Kong with a ginormous magnet.

That trailer looks great!

What is with that guy, anyway? He’s just a pleasure to watch in everything I’ve seen him in. I’m completely oblivious about film and the art of filmmaking or acting or anything related so I can’t explain it, all I know is that he’s always great.*

• I have not seen Transformers Go To China. :slight_smile:

So true. And I’m a Michael Bay hater, but kudos to Michael Bay for realizing this. It can’t be an accident that most of that Transformers movie weirdly turns into the Stanley Tucci side story and becomes the only Transformers movie I enjoyed watching.

Stanley Tucci and Mark Strong should play brothers.

These are not the Transformers I grew up with, but they look fun! I’m in.

* especially when he’s talking about that bridge he built:

The tone is super glib, but otherwise they seem to be drawing some inspiration from the IDW comics, although Prime was a cop and not a miner like Megs. No surprise they’re not playing on the Autobots=Autocrat classist ruler political theme, kids will be like whaaaa, but yeah… seems harmless and fun to have them expand the lore a bit more for the masses without the tedious good/evil battle angle.

Not sure how I feel like the god-like Alpha Trion scene blessing them with transformation cogs though.

I have seen every single Michael Bay Transformers movie, and I still didn’t understand a word of this post.

You have seen the wrong half… imagine it’s like someone says the both of us get a chocolate bar, and I get a 72% Lindt hazelnut praline, and you get a dried up Hersheys someone found between the cushions of their child car seat.

Jim Henson’s Transformer Babies

Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts are the good ones? I confess I’ve only ever seen the Megan Fox one, though an entire franchise of goofy giant robot action does occasionally tempt me.

Bumblee was good-ish. It gets highly praised but I feel like that’s mostly due to how bad the other movies are in comparison. It’s a decent kids movie.

Rise of the Beasts was terrible IMO, but I acknowledge that’s due mostly to my hatred of Pete Davidson.

Bumblebee was alright. But the IDW comic run was the good stuff in my original post that I was referring to that Tom was befuddled by. But even in those, there are some good story lines and others not worth pursuing, as usual. The MTMTE and Lost Light run is like StarTrek:TN with robots; the GIJoe/Transformers Sciolia and Barber run was an 80s toy isle fever dream (in a good way).

Note that a lot of my love of Transformers comes from childhood nostalgia of a pretty bad cartoon, decent Marvel comics line, and of a continued sense of awe for the toys past and present (if you ignore the current shoddy mass market hasbro stuff, and look instead at the Masterpiece Takara or third party offerings.) I’m only marginally interested in TF films, because I don’t see them capturing that childhood magic (yet) in the way that some of the reading material has.

The Bay movies are all hot trash.

His best work remains Godzilla