Trials of Fire

As I understand it certain classes of boss only show up in “short” or “long” runs. I should vary that setting more myself.

Thanks!

OK, now I finished those top 5 campaigns on medium difficulty, and the combat run. I’ll either try Boss Rush or Endless Odyssey next. Anyone tried Hard difficulty, and if so how much harder? In general I didn’t think medium was hard, but it may have been due to the fact that I stuck with the Warrior and Hunter as two of my heroes every time, so their soul level was pretty high (now 11 or 12). I think they stopped unlocking stuff at level 10.

I should also try the Trials of Fire campaign at short and long length too. Is there any way to see the soul level of each class, other then after a campaign? I’m not sure why I like the warrior and hunter so much, but I do. I guess I really like getting the warrior in the middle of things and doing his yell to make enemies lose a card and getting armored up to absorb all those hits while the hunter lays waste with some big damage. After those 2 I’m not sure who I like the most, but I’ve brought each one along once (I think).

It really does feel like I’m playing Gloomhaven with the cool abilities and such, without having my hand get weaker each time through the deck. This is definitely in my GotY contention.

Played the Endless Run (or whatever its called) for the first time and got a pretty good ranking on the leaderboard. Pretty fun way to play. The kicker was I lost in a battle I could have avoided and got killed by the lurker, which I’ve never lost to. I think I got too careless with my warrior and got whittled down quickly when I was surrounded by the lurker and 2 tentacles.

I just did another endless run and got into the top 200+. I was fighting multiple bosses per battle at the end. I’m surprised none of my Steam friends have finished an Endless Mode game. It’s pretty fun. I think on those I need to bump the game up to hard because it starts to take too long. Actually I think it’s time to try the scenarios on hard too. After 60 hours though my pace of playing it has slowed down.

I am still playing a bit but it’s not grabbing me like it was.

Has anyone else run into a case where the next goal is so far away your morale breaks? Just had this problem in a God Hunt run (second leg). We made it to meet the Lich but were “broken” by the time we got there. It was by far the furthest I’ve ever had to travel for a goal and then I had to hunt around for a cave entrance for entirely too long. We won the fight anyway (by the skin of our teeth) but it was all too close for comfort. I’m wonder if this is a bug or something I can prevent by other means? Is there any way to raise morale other than getting to the next boss?

Haven’t had that happen to me yet.

Interesting, since I know you’ve played a lot more than I have. That’s heartening, at least. I was wondering if it was just an intended feature of god hunt.

I was at least pleased to see that, after I beat that boss, morale jumped all the way back to “Determined.” I was worried the whole run was ruined but maybe it’s salvageable with some care.

Is there any way to bump up morale other than making the next checpoint? I’ll admit it’s not a mechanic I understand very well.

I am now apparently stuck in a wonderful loop of . . .

1. Attempting the seasonal quest Niam’s Rampage, on Hard. It is the one allowing 20 days to basically go out, get tough, then return to take on a big bad.

2. Going with Warlord, Spirit Speaker & Warrior team

3. Building Warlord as an almost pure buffer, Warrior as a crowd control tank & damage dealer and flexing the Spirit Speaker between ranged damage dealer, summoner or second melee damage dealer depending on what upgrades become available

4. By day 15 or so, building a slick super team that appears unstoppable

5. Taking on “one last fight” prior to the big bad and getting full party wiped within it.

I am attempting to break the loop by dropping to Medium difficulty . . . going well so far, day 10 . . .

Now that you have mentioned it I will give it a go! Just as soon as I complete the seasonal Niam’s Revenge one . . . which may take some time :-P

I couldn’t make it on Normal! That boss hits hard.

I should try that one. I kinda forgot about it.

I completed Niam’s Rampage! On Medium . . . placing me 201 on the global leaderboard!

Wow, that boss fight is a boss fight. I learned a new mechanic. Every time you shuffle through your entire deck, you get an exhausted card. I must have shuffled through nearly a dozen times in this fight, which took me well over 60 minute of playtime. For about half of that battle I could not figure out where the exhausted cards were coming from as I was deliberately not playing any of the cards I have that generated them.

Battle was epic . . . in length and tension. Because of the ever increasing pile of exhausted cards I began to worry I would fail to finish Niam before my decks became utterly trash.

If you are gonna try it, spoiler-ey tips below . . .

Niam is a single character and cannot summon, cannot be slowed or immobilized, has a default of 3 damage reduction from all sources, has a power card that adds further damage reduction, and has 2 x battle stance (+3 damage) power cards. One key vulnerability is to exposed, which has double duration or something similar

Therefore . . .

• Area of effect cards are inefficient
  • Cards that do a lot of damage in a single hit are very high value
  • Armour piercing attacks, armour removal, and armour denial are great value
  • Basic / non-upgraded attacks will do little or no damage, so replace them if you can
  • Combo attacks will do no damage (unless somehow highly boosted)
  • Damage dealing summons will probably not be able to do much or any damage
  • Exposed is a key mechanic
  • Any cards that let you steal powers are very helpful, part of the reason I eventually won was that I stole all 4 of Niam’s power cards and applied them to my own heroes

Nice! I’m playing Per Aspers right now, but I’m going to try this mission next time I start a new game of ToF.

What dream team are you guys using for these? I’m struggling with characters like the Warlord and the hunter seems all over the place. I recently unlocked the Assassin and the witch, so still unlocking cards for those two. What are your go to characters?

EDIT: I do see @Lykurgos 's combo up a few posts… I don’t have the spirit guy unlocked yet =)

I find that these two combinations work so well, I am reluctant to try others on the ‘harder’ runs.

Warrior as tank / damage dealer
Spirit Speaker as wildcard, ranged damage, area damage, summoner or melee
Warlord as buffer & group mover

OR

Warrior as tank / damage dealer
Hunter as ranged damage dealer & summoner
Warlord as buffer & group mover

Within both of these builds, I do this . . .

Warrior. Balance out the damage dealing and defence capacity. Ideally done with power cards like defensive stance (+defence on every melee hit) and battle readiness (+3 damage).

Hunter / Spirit Speaker. Once I have a few items or power ups I try and build them into a specific role. For example, making the Hunter either a high ranged damaged dealer, or making him a summoner, but typically not going with hybrid due to lower synergy. For example, the ‘deadshot’ power that adds +3 to ranged damage is excellent, but also costly to apply, so it does not go well with lots of summoning cards.

Warlord. Emphasis on getting ‘Leadership’ played as top priority. Get multiple ‘Show the Way’ cards to reduce the need for other heroes to use move cards for moving. Get 1 each of Bolster (play power for free), Regroup (protection / clear debuffs), Inspire (+damage) and upgrade them if possible so they cost 0. Equip with stuff that provides extra cards that can be played on other heroes in order to maximise use of Leadership

I always use Warrior + Hunter + (cycle through the others)

Me too. I’ve had particularly good results with the Witch in that third slot, though I keep coming back to the alchemist because he’s fun. I can’t figure out how to use the Warlord at all, she seems to be dead weight any time I try.

Truth be told, the 3rd character’s cards gets recycled a lot more than the Hunter or Warrior. I just can’t rely on them as much but they are useful situationally for me.