Trials of Fire

My pleasure! Though all thanks go to @ShivaX, who is the one that signaled to me how amazing this was, and convinced me to buying it by using trigger words like Slay the Spire and Gloomhaven.

Yup, I echo this. I mostly avoid early access but positive steam reviews gave me confidence to go for this one and wow . . .

I think the ‘best’ piece is the excellent, thoughtful, challenging tactical turn based combat. That is backed up well with the push your luck overland exploration (luck being . . . how much can you explore without running out of food?), character development, crafting, questing and somewhat roguelike random encounter choices.

I kinda feel like I should have paid double or triple for this game already and the updates are frequent and meaningful.

25% off on Steam until the 24th. Bought.

Has this had enough time in the oven to feel finished? Or are you getting a noticeable EA-experience?

I’ve had a couple of restarts and finished the first quest on easy this evening, about 3 hours altogether, and it is plenty complete enough, there is a lot of game here. Some of the mechanics seem a little unexplained (I wasn’t aware discarding cards could also be used to move my characters), but I did quit halfway through the combat tutorial, so it is possible I missed that explanation. The combat and deck building is a lot of fun.

This game owns. It’s not as tough as I thought it would be. I wish that there was a scenario where the survival stuff was toned down so I could explore more though.

Oh my goodness, go for it, get it now. This is one of the most ‘complete’ experiences I have played in recent years. Chunky quests, varied opponents, fantastically challenging and innovative combat. It is getting improved, it is getting more content, it is already a fantastic play, worth your time and cash.

I finished the Godhunter quest tonight and boy that was intense. It took me 11 hours to do that quest.

Hmm I picked this up and first impressions are very positive. And it looks gorgeous on the widescreen.

GD your eyes! Had the dragon down to 2 hitpoints in the final mission of the 1st quest when my last 2 characters succumbed to the dragon’s fire. Game over, no save-scumming.

This is already very polished; no bugs or issues encountered. A mite more explanation in some areas wouldn’t go amiss but for the most part is fairly intuitive. So looking very good for this stage of EA.

Between this & Deity Empires…

I agree that it’s very good. Having finished 2 of the 3 story quests, my main worry now is how good the repeating content going to be. Custom Quest and Endless Odyssey looks like the procedurally generated content so if that’s good it will go a long way for replay value.

It’s there any multiplayer mode planned?
I really liked card Hunter, but I didn’t like the easy their semi subscription model (club) worked.

25% off again. Might get it to play on iPad over steam link.

Also, talked with one of the two devs on discord the other day. They are planning to update their roadmap soon, since they are off their timetable a bit. They are still putting out updates every week though.

Anybody know any status on this game? The roadmap still not updated, last date on it is Q1 2020. They are still doing updates (there was one on July 17), but no idea if the end is in sight…

Think there’s another update about to come out. They are still planning to release this year. Don’t know much in terms of specifics

I returned to play it again mid-July (2020) after completing the initial Water Quest and God Hunter Quest in early 2020.

Things I noted were -

Food mechanic has completely changed, and probably for the better, meaning less stress and frustration, more fun, but still tension

Combat mechanics have changed a bit too, including by giving a 1 point discount on the first card each hero plays each turn. This encourages use of all heroes instead of focus on one or two.

Overland explore view provides more useful info now. Mouse over a destination and you get info about what you will might find there

When you find an epic item now you get a choice of what it is, so you can pretty much make sure it will be useful and usable for you (I wish more games used this mechanic)

Overall, still fantastic tactical battles, tough but feels fair. Absolutely value for money whilst in EA, only getting better.

Picked this up on a sale awhile back and just finally started on it to take a break from Shadow Empire. This game is awesome! I’d say this doesn’t feel early access at all, but I see that they are still making rather dramatic changes(last patch included a rework for the defense mechanic) so I’m interested to see where this goes. Seems like it’ll be an easy game to go back to every so often.

The tactical battles in this make me think that card-based is the only way to make these type of tactical battles interesting. So much more engaging and varied than the battles in HoMM or the last Disciples game or the million other games that cloned that system.

This is one of those games that was immediately so compelling I put it away. I’m waiting for the final release, but I read the weekly patch notes frequently.

Dominions doesn’t have tactical battles, at least not ones you can control (which is generally what people mean when they say “tactical battles”), right?

Fixed now. I meant Disciples.