Trials of Fire

I just had what I think was the normal encounter at the temple. All is well.

Cross post from bargain…

Trails of Fire has been added to the Steam sale

I have yet to make it past the second boss in the starter quest… But I am still having a ball with this. I like how injuries, road quest consequences, fatigue, gear, heck everything ends up modifying your deck. Maybe there are other games that have done this, but I can’t think of one that I played that did it this well. The difficulty in encounters does seem to be all over the board, but that is almost always the case in EA games so I can live with that. I really like the presentation, the map, the streamlined leveling process.

One thing: Is crafting actually in game? I keep getting materials but I have never used any of them.

And bought.

So far I’ve gotta say this game is pretty cool. The battles are fun, everything about it is slick. The tutorial messages that appear are informative and seem complete. Thanks @ShivaX and @Scotch_Lufkin for highlighting how good it is.

I did the tutorial battle and just finished the first objective in the first campaign. Playing on whatever the second difficulty level is, I think it was something about having some experience with tactical card games or something. Right now the biggest pressure has been food. The battles haven’t been too difficult.

I bought the game too. The devs should start giving out commission here lol.

Wow that second or third boss I hit on my way to the second objective was tough and now I’m dead. Great time though.

I died on my way to the 2nd objective as well. I’m also on medium difficulty. Food is the biggest issue. I ran out despite scavenging every site along the way I could. When I got to “starving” I got desperate and fought some tough beasts I really shouldn’t have. I figured I was about to die anyway so why not. Maybe they had some beef jerky on them. They killed me of course. Took 2 hours to get to that point.

This is a very polished game and is great fun. It is indeed pretty cool. Everything seems pretty balanced except the amount of food available. I killed 3 mobs in a row on my way to the second objective that didn’t drop any food and found 2 towns that didn’t have any. That was all she wrote.

fwiw, you got really unlucky. I find food frequently scarce but I rarely feel totally screwed out of it.

Also depends on the quest. For the new quest, with two parts, you almost always lose to food because you have to wander so much and food is so random.

“Oh good a town, finally. Oh they have zero food. I guess I’ll take my 500 gold into the wilderness and starve.”

Oh man, I just had a tense run. I made it through the first objectives and was returning back to my home town. I realized I was maybe heading back in an inefficient way so I doubled back and went a different way. Food was tight and my party was exhausted. I was avoiding fights whenever I could. I managed to get some food and rest. I was so close to completing the scenario and got into a very tough combat and lost (fighting the dragon). 95% complete.

I seemed to stop getting new cards to choose from when I was leveling up, a lot of repeats. So, in the later part of the adventure it wasn’t quite as exciting. Hopefully they are adding more choices. This game is a ton of fun though.

After several runs ending in horrible deaths I finally made it to the second boss and beat him. Now I’m on my way home with the water gem in great shape at full health, full 10/10 on food and 5/5 on herbs. I’ve got some much better equipment now and that really makes a difference. Plus, I didn’t realize for quite a while that you could craft equipment and do the attune thing to add a card to your deck.

This game is such fun but I really have to watch the time. I’ve looked up at the clock a few times when playing and thought ‘that can’t be right’.

And I finished the adventure. That final boss is tough. Took just over 4 hours.

I cannot figure out how to use ricochet shot. I target an obstacle next to a mob but it never does anything. How is it supposed to work, exactly?

If you move the cursor over an obstacle with a valid target, the obstacle will glow red and any possible targets will be illuminated. It’s wonky, albeit quite good when it works.

They can’t be adjacent to it iirc. Aim for an obstacle behind or to their side. It still has to trace LoS so it can get blocked fairly easily.

Thanks guys. I don’t think they should allow you to shoot at an obstacle if it’s not a valid one. I just read that only single hex obstacles work. It still lets you shoot and waste a shot anyway on 2 hex obstacles. At least now I know how it’s supposed to work.

Do the soul levels mean anything other than unlocking a new character? I cannot determine their purpose otherwise…

No. They used to unlock more cards ala Slay the Spire, but they changed it. Currently they do nothing, but they’re planning to tie cosmetics to them iirc once those are in.

I swear I’ve shot 2 hex obstacles and had it work, but it needs to be one off to the side.

With that one, mostly just look for what enemy highlights when you target an obstacle is the best advice I have.

All the talk about this game convinced me to buy it and give it a try…I’m still pretty early on in the first mission, but I can’t believe this is only early access. It’s really well developed, the world building is really engrossing, and it’s just a well polished, fun game. Huge thanks once again to @Scotch_Lufkin for his review above - it convinced me to give it a try, and I’m super glad I did!