Trials of Fire

Ah hah, thanks. Yeah, phrased that weirdly at 3am or whatever godforsaken hour I posted that.

I gotta say, while Urtuk is pretty good. Trials of Fire is so much better. Urtuk was really fun for the first map or so, then it just started feeling very samey. I wasn’t a fan of the drab visuals but that really isn’t too big a deal. The battles in ToF feel much more focused. Urtuk battles can drag on a but and wear out their welcome.

I just won the Trials of Fire campaign. Probably took 6-8 hours on medium. I took my time examining cards and trying to keep track of which enemies have what cards. The last battle had me worried. My warrior got really low on health but I pulled through it with everyone alive.

Anyone know the answer to these?

1. If a hero dies in battle, do they get revived if you win with at least someone alive?
  2. How many different types of enemies are there? If I play the Trials of Fire campaign again will there be different types of enemies, or will it be the same types but I just don’t know where the enemies will be?

It was cool seeing what I unlocked after winning the campaign. I gotta say, this game is great. I’m not sure how many more campaigns get unlocked, or how much creature variety their will be. but if I get a a handful more campaigns out of this as fun as the first it was money well spent. The rest will just be gravy. I think I’ll easily get the much play out of it with unlocking new hero classes, cards, etc…

I think it was @Scotch_Lufkin who turned me on to this so a big thanks!

Yeah, they come back but with a random weakness, like a broken arm or internal bleeding. You can remove them either through events, manually by spending 2 mystic herbs (or whatever they are called; you do this while camping, it’s next to spending 1 herb to upgrade a skill), or by completing a main objective (all wound/weakness are removed when you complete an objective).

I’ve seen a lot of variety in enemy types/species from ratkin types that vary between sorcerers and rogues to elementals and dragons. Each has their own deck and unique abilities and it serves to keep things fresh. There are about 30 different enemy decks in the game, which seems like a good amount to keep things interesting for a while, but of course I’d love this one to get expansions/content updates with new classes, events, enemies, stories, and etc.

I’m glad you are enjoying it!

Yeah, the campaign is a little too short for my taste. That’s about the only thing I can complain about though. Great game.

Not better imo, just different. I like the Urtuk battles a bit better than the ToF battles but they are really different animals. Urtuk’s combat is like Battle Brothers while ToF has card combat. Both are nice but hard to compare they are so different.

Just an FYI, you can set the game length for the default Trial of Fire to be long (1) and also, you can unlock Endless Odyssey mode (2):

I didn’t mean better as in a ‘universal’ everyone would think ToF is better kind of way, just I enjoy the ToF battles more than Urtuk’s. I can easily see people preferring Urtuk more because they are different, but my preference lies with ToF.

is there anyway to know how difficult a side quest will be?

also yeah the redraw makes a lot more sense now that they fixed that bug.
are there ever any conditions were swipe shouldn’t trigger a combo attack by an adjacent ally? I think I was seeng that in my last fight, I hope it’s not a new bug.

Hard to say for sure, but remember that your allies will only get a combo attack if they themselves aren’t adjacent to any enemies.

ah thanks I forgot that!

Yeah, I have 48 hours into the EA version and unlocked everything. I liked the Endless Odyssey mode quite a lot. I hope it got some additional love though since last I played it. I reset all my data as they recommended and lost all my unlocks so I have to unlock everything all over again. That may have been a mistake on my part.

In my first campaign, my elementalist didn’t play a large part in combat because it was rare I could get her into position without getting her into harms way. She stayed back and did the occasional magic missile, summoned an minion or used a power to generate will points. I had her recycle a lot of other cards to fuel the warrior and hunter. Anyone make better use of her?

She’s fantastic! Give her some armor and get out there – she can equip lots of defensive stuff if you find it.

Magic attacks ignore LoS entirely, which is absolutely huge on a lot of maps.

I do think I like her better paired with the Warlord (first class unlock) than the uh starter vanilla fighter-type whose name I forget. Warlord gets some cards that let other heroes move, which obviously works great with the Elementalist.

I’m really liking Warlord+Ranger+Ele in my second quest here. Warlord just kinda feeds the beasts, but what beasts the Ranger and Elementalist are. We’re pretty glass-cannony though, so we’ll see how the boss ends up going.

Elementalist belongs way closer to your front line than you’d expect. Trick is finding a way to keep her well defended up there. With the right items you can make her a better ranged damage dealer, but some of the unlocked classes are a better fit for that as the Elementalist has a lot of class cards that require being close up.

Which brings me to my only complaint. None of the cards indicate the range at which they work, which means wasting a lot of movement.

Unless I’m missing it somewhere,

If there’s a range restriction, it’ll say. Or like on Unstable Blast et al, the hex pattern shown includes the hero’s hex. So like Life Siphon hits a seven-hex burst that starts adjacent to the hero, whereas Gravity Vortex can be targeted anywhere.

There is no range limit UNLESS a card states such (“does X damage within 2 spaces”). Ranged attacks only have to have line of sight, as indicated by the EYE icon over the target. If you have the eye icon with a character, you can get them with a ranged attack.

One thing I still don’t get is why a character with, say, health of 6/10 will suddenly have 10 or 12 HP again at the start of combat, and then revert back.

The ARMOR stat (provided by quality armor as well as a high morale) gives bonus HP that is drained first before base health in combat. It’s the base health that doesn’t recover after a fight (this changes a bit on higher difficulties, I believe).

Also fun, I unlocked a class I’d never played with before that does a lot with Powers. One thing that’s maybe not obvious, you can play a given characters power cards on ANY other character, with the only limitation being that one character cannot have more than 4 powers.

So I am leaning into this as the new character can “expend” an equipped power for a huge effect. But also my Witch (quickly becoming my favorite class) unlocked this the previous run, and has it now for this run:

So I piled a few powers on the guy that wants them anyway, and when this came up I dropped it on him as his 5th power and BOOM go the fireworks, it was immeasurably satisfying.