Tropico 4

I hope the music is just as awesome as from the original game, i still play it just to listen to the great score(while building an island paradise at the same time off course).

Great news. I hope they bring along their sense of humour for this fourth instalment.

I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of Tropico 3. Definitely an underrated gem, and a phenomenal game to kick back with.

I’ve still got Tropico 3 on my wishlist on steam. One day I’ll buy it I keep telling myself.

Thats it, as soon as I finish GTA 4, the next game I’m playing is Tropico 3.

The new demo is just out: http://www.tropico3.com/en/index.php

I’ll probably download it tonight, but the previews so far seem very much like an expansion of sorts.

It feels and plays and looks like a 3.5, not a for. They’re claiming there is a bigger differnce between 3 and 4 than 1/2 and 3… but I think they under estimate the life new graphics can bring. I am not sure I am willing to pay the asking price for this, and I really enjoyed 3.

I downloaded the demo. If anything it feels like a highly optimized Tropico 3 at the moment. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they’ve expanded the whole uprising / secret police / etc aspect of the game.

Downloading demo now. Looking forward to it :)

That was my reaction too so I stopped playing. Perhaps there is more new than is at first evident in the demo, but I’m going to hold of until we see a list of what new features were implemented.

Played the first mission of the demo’s campaign.

Really feels like Tropico 3.5 , not much added, a few more goals are offered , but sure as heck doesn’t seem much different than the last game.

Yeah, this was my impression as well. Extra mission goals, a couple of tweaks to the UI, some minor additions to politics, longer list of customization options for El Presidente. Even the soundtrack feels identical.

The first post in this thread on the official forums has a roundup of what’s new. May not be complete or completely accurate though.

Does seem like more of an overhaul than a new game, but I will probably pick it up.

Your feelings mirror mine. I thought the demo was okay, but there’s no way I’m paying full price for what seems to be a standalone expansion.

There will always be future steam sales.

It bet it will be 75% off in the Christmas sale on Steam.

Council of Ministers – Appoint selected citizens to ministerial posts to help push through and enact your more controversial decisions and edicts

That sounds like a pretty cool feature I would like to see expanded - assuming it is more than simply a stronger version of the Bribe edict …

That’s one area the Tropico games have been lacking in detail: the politics and bureaucracy proper. Let me appoint citizens to important positions in exchange for support/favors/handjobs. Let me choose to cut shady/desperate deals with crime cartels, foreign agencies, etc. Let me specialize citizens into various special purpose agents.

Honestly, once you have an economy up and running, the game can become pretty easy. It’s just a matter of how much profit you want to generate. Give me some serious political pressure once I’ve seriously upped the education levels on the island.

Facebook and Twitter integration

Ugh, fuck.

Also, I will likely buy it - if only to keep the light ablaze in the dark cavern of simulation gaming.

… And because I’m a sorry-ass junkie.

Yeah, not google+, WTF?

Same here.

A handful of new buildings and disasters isn’t enough to get me to bite. Rob Merritt has it right - this is a prime Steam Sale candidate.