Trump ending DACA

Trump is expected to announce the end of DACA this morning and ordering Congress to “fix” the situation within a six-month window.

Do your job, he yells, as he sends Jeff Sessions to make the DACA announcement.

Good plan for Trump.

He gets to keep his promise AND blame “both sides” when there is no replacement that can pass.

The plan only works if Congress actually enacts a replacement. If that doesn’t happen, then nobody who is opposed to ending DACA will be giving Trump a pass.

“You break it, you bought it.” No politician can escape that.

I disagree.

I feel like this sort of can kicking happens all of the time and only high information voters notice. Trump will not be punished in this scenario.

The only people who will call him on it are not going to vote for him anyway.

The people affected can’t vote anyway, and if they’re gone it’s no skin off anyone’s back but theirs and potentially their employer. Right?

Dumb question: was everyone but me already familiar with the term “Dreamers”? In response to this DACA news it started showing up all over my social media but without any context to initially connect the dots for me. I had to google to see what people were talking about. Just curious if that was a new thing, or just something I’d never heard of.

Dreamers has been around for as long as DACA I think. At least, that’s how I remember it.

The whole “this program steals American jobs” line is utter bullshit though. No matter how much data anyone presents to the contrary, no matter how little actual evidence these bozos can come up with on their side, this sort of blatant demagoguery that panders to base feelings and fears seems to be impossible to eradicate.

And the biggest irony of all is that the people who are actually responsible for the huge number undocumented workers are actually the big businesses that the GOP sucks up to, at least in certain economic niches. It does make you wonder how the GOP actually negotiates all these conflicts of interest.

Maybe by ditching DACA employers feel that the immigrants will be so desperate they’ll pay to work…

This doesn’t just affect immigrants. It affects their friends, neighbors, employers, and customers.

I can’t think of a single example where a President successfully blamed Congress for something that originated with him or was strongly associated with him. Bush Sr owned “no new taxes”. Bill Clinton owned Hillarycare. GWB owned the Iraq War. Obama owned Obamacare.

Nobody gave any of them a pass, regardless of Congressional action or inaction.

There it is:

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/546423550/trump-signals-end-to-daca-calls-on-congress-to-act

800,000 bad hombres… Winning!!

IMG_0508

Gah, what is the purpose of doing this other than spite?

He’s running on the simplest algorithm -

if (it will make me money)
–do it
elseif (it will destroy something Obama built)
–do it
else
–forget it

God that’s disgustingly accurate, it seems.

Shouldn’t Congress do something with this? I don’t know that much about the existing program but isn’t it just passing a problem along?

I do agree that whatever Congress does (or doesn’t do) Trump will end up owning it, whether he wants to or not.

Note that “The Trump Train” is not Trump’s Twitter, but he did retweet this.

Someone give me a justification for this that isn’t racism.