Trump ending DACA

Even discounting the racism, the GOP is still the party of “funnel all money to the top 1%.” You can’t blame Trump entirely for the health care bill or the coming “tax reform” or ignoring science because they got bribed.

This is who the gop is today and when Trump is gone it will be who they remain.

At a high level I don’t think the Republican party is racist, they just don’t give a shit about voting rights so they aren’t afraid to target groups that lean democrat. This was the real crime the dreamers committed, they were potential democrat supporters.

It comes down to the realization I had during the election though.

If you don’t give a shit about racism, then it makes you fucking racist. If you think it’s ok for other folks to oppress minorities, you are still a fucking racist, even if you aren’t doing the oppression yourself.

To be a good person requires that you actually stand up against shit like that.

And the GOP used to do that at least some of the time… Things like opposing the Soviets under Reagan, had a significant component that said what the Soviets were doing to their own people was wrong. Or even the misguided adventurism in Iraq had some justification in the fact that Hussein was a true monster who did horrific things to his own people.

Now it’s just like, wtf, the GOP literally doesn’t give a shit about anyone or anything beyond funneling money to the ultra rich. There’s literally zero real moral core any more… just some pseudo morality based on fake ass preachers conning people into sending them money while telling them about how the democrats are murdering babies. The only thing left is just this absurd fake christianity that’s so insanely un-christian even on its face. The notion of crap like the “prosperity gospel” is so insanely antithetical to the teachings of Christ that I find it painfully offensive, and I don’t even consider myself a Christian. But I was born a Catholic, and I always respected the religion, and it pains me to see it twisted into something so ugly.

It’s like there’s just nothing good left, at all, in the GOP. There are still a handful of individuals who I feel are good men (I still think Kasich is a good man, for instance), but their influence over the party is non-existent now.

We all know John Kasich is a man bereft of anything resembling a moral core.

And yes, I’ll never miss the opportunity to post that.

In a technical sense. It’s open to debate whether they are in the sense that the founders viewed citizenship. Then again, few of us would meet that bar probably.

So how many generations of those non-immigrants have had the option to learn english? I don’t think that is the point.

However, America has for many years welcomed legal and illegal immigration from countries where english is not the primary language. It would be best if they learned english and assimilated but it is not necessary. In most major cities (in the west and southwest anyway) there are areas where the language spoken and the signage is all in a foreign language. If you choose to do business with those communities you learn to speak their languages.

As I stated above, the local school district deals with over 100 languages. I think the city, county and state deal with something like 17 languages on ballots.

Is it true that at one time to get American citizenship you had to speak english? I heard that last week and wondered what happened to that requirement.

And every time it’s posted, I have a right good laugh. That’s such a silly moment, edited together to be something absurd.

Yes, but they are anchor babies.

This was one of my top alternates for my Qt3 tag. Half-Guatemalan hooooo

Since my country has at least 5 official (in certain regions) non-immigrant languages with a small but extant population that does not know Spanish but knows one of these languages, and they having been around for MUCH longer than the 170 years since the US/Mexican war, I do think that’s pretty much the point.

For a long while those languages where not official, and yet people didn’t necessarily learn Spanish. You can’t force a community to learn a language.

That is a different experience than the American one. The American experience has historically been one of immigrants learning the language when they came here, and maybe passing their native language along to the next generation. I say maybe because many immigrants here chose to have their kids only speak english. For others it was english everywhere outside the home.

I was specifically talking of those people that became US citizens during the annexation of Texas, California and New Mexico and that were Spanish speakers. That experience is not dissimilar at all to what I am talking about (people belonging to a somewhat different culture, including language, now living alongside and among a more dominant culture).

Only in Texas you have about 8m such citizens, so it’s certainly the American experience for a significant group of people.

So, how’s your Navajo?

You know I have never lived anywhere that people spoke Navajo? Now, my Chumash isn’t very good.

I bet their American descendants all speak english now. :)

I bet not all of them and that there are different levels of English proficiency among the Tejano/Spanish descent population (from people who speak English as a main language and little Spanish to a minority of (probably elder) people with reading comprehension and lack of fluidity in English).

Tactics used seem similar to what was used here, but isolated communities remained mostly monolingual for a long time.

To be fair-ish, the Hispanic population of Texas at the time of independence was only about 5,000.

The 8M is the 2010 US census of Texas of Texan-Spanish descent (different from descendants of immigrants).

That seems… unlikely, tbh. I’d have to see how this is being described.

again, same source

And here’s the first quote from wikipedia

Not that this matters! But most of the growth of the Mexican/Hispanic/Tejano population in Texas (however you want to describe it) has been from immigration and subsequent births in immigrant families in the last 50-75 years.

That was from wikipedia, but they might be using different data and giving the number for Mexican descendants regardless of origin.

Your source does give 14k Mexicans living in Texas just 5 years after the annexation, though:

But yes, that means the number of direct descendants is very likely way smaller than what I wrote earlier. Frustratingly, that data seems not to be easy to find.

I would be shocked if that were true Juan. I’ve lived in Texas a long, long time, and i know many Hispanic Texans, and i don’t think i’ve literally met one that did not have family that came from Mexico two or three generations ago. Now this could be one of those “everyone is descendant of Genghis Khan” things where marrying into families gets you a blood connection… but, don’t think so.

Now i do know (much less well) some old families in Santa Fe, and they really are blue blooded descendants of the Spanish from the colonial days. They are actually quite proud of the fact, and still live in the area, and tend to make up more significant portion of the higher rungs of society in New Mexico. But there’s not a ton of them.