Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

I think Yakob Smirnoff would fit right inwith this administration.

This would qualify as a coup by one party against the US

“I think Congress should now intervene and they should abolish the independent counsel, because Comey makes so clear that it’s the poison fruit of a deliberate manipulation by the FBI director leaking to the New York Times, deliberately set up this particular situation. It’s very sick.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/337340-mccain-says-american-leadership-was-better-under-obama-report

SENATE
June 11, 2017 - 04:02 PM EDT
McCain says American leadership was better under Obama: report

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said American leadership was stronger under President Trump’s predecessor, President Barack Obama, according to a Guardian report published Sunday.

Asked if the country stood on sturdier ground under Obama’s leadership, McCain said “yes,” according to the report.

“As far as American leadership is concerned, yes," said McCain, who also vocally criticized many of the Obama administration’s foreign policy decisions.

McCain also lost to Obama when he ran as the GOP nominee in the 2008 presidential election.

The top Senate Republican was also asked what “message” the president delivered to the U.K. last week when he publicly criticized London’s mayor, shortly after a terror-related attack that left eight people dead and many more wounded.
“What do you think the message is? The message is that America doesn’t want to lead,” said McCain, chairman on the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“They are not sure of American leadership, whether it be in Siberia or whether it be in Antarctica,” he added.

I’m not sure what you’re replying to here, but there was nothing legit about McCain’s conflating the investigation into Clinton’s private email server with the investigation of Russian interference with the American political system. One is closed because it was partisan politics seizing on the closest thing they could find to a blowjob in the Oval Office. The other is still open because it’s actually important and there’s too much we still don’t know.

If McCain is incapable of distinguishing those two things because he’s jetlagged, he should probably limit himself to one time zone at a time.

-Tom

What he actually asked during the hearing made no sense. I saw a CNN interview with McCain after the hearing and he looked exhausted. Which he acknowledged,.

The question he meant to ask. Is why Comey treated them differently. I believe the answer is exactly what you said. I think both Comey and McCain agree with you. But since neither of us knows for sure, it would be nice to have Comey on record saying. Russian interference in our election is very serious and we don’t have all the answers, so that why I didn’t want to go on record saying Trump is not being investigated. As former prosecutor I can’t rule out the possibility of prosecuting him for Obstruction of justice or some similar crime. That’s fundamentally different than Hillary.

I’m objecting to treating McCain as a tool simply because he has R after his name and he is a conservative.

According to Sen. Chris Coons (D) we should be grateful that at age 80 McCain is busting his ass trying to reassure our allies around the world. That Trump doesn’t really represent the American government,. We sure in the hell don’t want McCain sticking to one time zone, any more than we want Gen Matis sticking to one time zone.

My view on him tends towards tool the more he talks about stuff while doing absolutely nothing about it.

“This is terrible, horrific.”
immediately votes for it anyway

He could be a leader in the party, but he’s too afraid to actually DO anything. Graham is in a similar position. They’re sitting senior Senators but they refuse to actually take action against Trump.

McCain is still in my “mostly respect” column, but every time he does this kind of crap he slips further.

In my minds eye I see him and Spicer at a bar after hours commiserating about how it was easier cleaning up after their 2 year old.

I thought Comey made clear in his response that they knew there was nothing there with Clinton.

This would not be necessary if people like McCain didn’t sell their souls to support Trump to begin with. He likes to talk about values and responsibility, but when it came down to it he put R before country. His convictions mean nothing, all talk.

McCain sold out back in the 80s. He occasionally erupts with a spasm of independent speech, but his votes and his political support go strictly according to the wishes of the party majority.

Supported Trump really? Let’s review. McCain withdrew his support for Trump after the Access Hollywood Tapes.
He refused to say if he voted for the man or not and his wife Cyndi wore a white pant suit to the polling place, (probably in support of the Hillary)

Honestly, I don’t know what people expect a single senator to do.

Senator can do three things, give speeches, propose legislation, and vote. Committee chairs, like McCain who chairs the Armed Services Committee, but unlike Senators Graham, or Sasse who don’t,

Proposing controversial legislation is a waste of time in Mitch McConnell’s Senate. The only thing that’s going to get voted on is what Mitch allows.

He is one of only 3 Republican to vote against two of Trump cabinet nominees. I’m not sure what other votes he was supposed to make against Trump.

The Armed service committee has held hearings on Russia, but the investigation is really the responsibility of Judiciary and Intelligence. The Senate Intelligence Committee has been doing a better job than the American people deserve.

So that leaves speeches and interviews. The senator has given four major [speeches] (https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/speeches) at major conferences in foreign countries. All of which have been very critical of Trump and Bannon. It’s non-trivial when the former Presidential candidate for the Republican party says that Obama is a better leader than the Republican President.

McCain isn’t a Democrat, nor are Senator Sasse, Graham so expecting them to act like Democrats is foolish. I do think they are placing country before party. Any hopes of getting rid of Trump before 2020 start with these three and ahandful of others.

Not sure what you mean here. The American people deserve a good president. They deserve a Congress that is devoted to figuring this shit out. They deserve politicians who don’t just vote their own interests at the expense of their own constituents. They deserve public servants, not ideological know-nothings who are literally working to kill them.

Voting to confirm Pruitt as head of EPA or Sessions as AG marks you as an enemy of humanity.

Really why?
Let’s start with basics about us Americans. 45% don’t bother to vote, 87% don’t contribute and 96% don’t volunteer to help out a campaign. (Now I’ll admit I didn’t do the last two this cycle, but that’s the first time in a long time I did neither).

If you look at they resume of the typical Senator or Congressman. They have a level of achievement that would make you extremely proud as a parent and in many cases insufferable as a grandparent… A military veteran/Harvard law school grad, top notch surgeon who volunteers to go oversea to help poor people in developing countries. A humanitarian/Navy SEAL/social entrepreneur. Not to mention the garden variety, businessman, entrepreneur, pro athletes, famous entertainers. and a zillion top lawyers.

The vast majority make a significant financial sacrifice to take a government job. They all open themselves up to intense public scrutiny, where every misdeed they ever did in their life is open to second guessing, ridicule, and exaggeration. In most cases, their families members actions are also scrutinized

What do they get if the win elected office? mediocre pay, with nice perks. Long hours, with many frustrations and zillion frequent flyer miles. Plus the opportunity to beg strangers for money, and be grilled by about 1/2 their constituents no matter what they do. Also, the certain knowledge that if they ever doing anything remotely questionable the other side will make sure the nation knows about.

Do we ever thank these people for their service? Hell no, we constantly criticize those on our team, and as for those on the other team. Instead of allowing that they may actually be well intention folks, who looked at a set of facts and arrived at a different conclusion, no the other teams members are all the “enemy of humanity” who deserve to be treated worse than criminals.

American richly deserves Donald Trump, we are just lucky we haven’t seen more Trumps as President. Best case we deserve somebody with Hillary’s intelligence and naked ambition and lack of character. But for the life of me, I have no idea why the American people deserve somebody with the talents of a Barrack Obama or the character of a John McCain. We certainly haven’t worked hard enough to keep our Republic (as Ben Franklin warned),

“Congress fires the President” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, that’s exactly what the GOP-controlled Congress will do.

If Trump fires Mueler and Congress still refuses to act… I don’t know what to do at the point. We’ve gone full tin pot dictator.

Oh, sure, I definitely agree with you. There are far better reasons for treating him as a tool. In the time period before the “but her email” whinging at the hearing and after, say, failing to vet a certain mayor from Alaska, McCain being a conservative is the least of his problems.

-Tom

Well, keep in mind that the interviewee specified Trump wouldn’t fire a special prosecutor unless it was something serious…“as in the situation with James Comey.” In other words, so long as the special prosecutor pledges his loyalty, concedes to Trump’s “hopes” when it comes to dropping cases, and remembers their “thing”, Trump would never fire him.

-Tom

Should be cool then, cause Muller won’t do any of that shit.