Trump/Russia 2016 election investigation (continued, now with Ukraine!)

It really is time for the bullies to meet Ralphie after school.

Re: Rosenstein. Recall that “sources” also said Rosenstein was going to resign right after Kavanaugh was confirmed. And then before that they said Rosenstein was going to resign immediately in a badly-managed attempt to force him out.

Given the horrible track record of “sources” on this issue, nobody should take any of these reports seriously until they are directly quoting Rosenstein.

(This report sounds a little more plausible than the previous two times, but again … unnamed sources have been consistently wrong about this so far.)

Does it matter if Rosenstein is out? Barr is AG now, so Rosenstein is no longer ultimately responsible for overseeing Mueller.

I was recently in the local shakespeare company’s production of Henry the IV Part 2, and a line comes to mind re: Roger Stone.

When Falstaff is chastized by the Chief Justice in a bar fight, he argues that his service during the recently quelled rebellion means he deserves a break, the Justice says:

But since all is well, keep it so. Wake not a sleeping wolf.

Which basically feels like a theme for the Trump administration. They continually reach a state of semblance of order, only to blow things up over something else.

Also, I played a character named Bullcalf who unsuccessfully pleads that his obviously fake medical condition (not bone spurs) should stop him from being drafted into service, and once that doesn’t work he pays his way out. (Some pretty fun parallels to the current ruling class in the USA)

I love a court order that is basically “come tell me why I shouldn’t throw you in jail”. Hope he brings his toothbrush.

Right? Any time you read “show cause” in a court order, it’s never for anything like “We shouldn’t all go to Wendys and get some Frosties together.” I read that first sentence and I was like “Oh shit, here we go.”

Give her a beat!

It’s Amy, Judge Jackson if you’re nasty.

He’s an idiot. Why his lawyers wouldn’t just simply walk away (I know, I know… money) is beyond me.

Seen a couple of talking heads today suggesting that Rosenstein’s departure is another sign that the Mueller report is almost ready. I have heard both stories: that R. would stay until the report was done, and that R. would stay until Barr was in place, so everyone on the outside is just speculating.

Um so this NYT article is shocking, even to those of us whose genitals no longer feel the battery clamps.

Yeah that story is…something. Holy shit. Nunes running to tell Trump everything going on in the Intel committee, Whitaker seemingly perjuring himself to congress.

Yowza.

I really wish anything mattered anymore, because goddamn.

Are we finally at the holy shit THIS matters point yet? Can we be? Please.

Uhhhh…

Mr. Trump’s lawyers add this novel response: The president has been public about his disdain for the Mueller investigation and other federal inquiries, so he is hardly engaged in a conspiracy. He fired one F.B.I. director and considered firing his replacement. He humiliated his first attorney general for being unable to “control” the Russia investigation and installed a replacement, Mr. Whitaker, who has told people he believed his job was to protect the president. But that, they say, is Donald Trump being Donald Trump.

In other words, the president’s brazen public behavior might be his best defense

That’s not “novel,” NYTimes. That’s gibberish, and should be called out as such. Neither the normal dictionary sense nor the legal sense of “conspiracy” requires it to be a secret for it to qualify as a conspiracy. If I stand in front of a cop and tell my buddy, “Hey, let’s go rob a bank” and then we go walk into the bank waving guns, that’s still conspiracy to commit a crime. The fact that Trump is stupid enough to do this in public is not a defense.

For many months the Pod Save America guys have griped about the fact that Trump openly does and says things which, had they been found in a secret email or something, might be the long-sought-after “smoking gun.”

Attorneys (and the Times) should know better, of course.

Yeah, something like looking into the camera on national television and publicly asking the Russian government to hack his political opponent?

Something like that.

Serious question— Is it possible that Barr will have to recuse himself given that his son in law just joined Trump’s legal team? And if it, why?

Barr absolutely, positively will not recuse himself no matter what. Who would force him to?

Nothing really. Not sure what congress could do there.

I mean short of