Trump/Russia 2016 election investigation (continued, now with Ukraine!)

I think the US has already passed the point of no return. The US as a Democracy won’t disappear tomorrow, maybe not for another 20 years, but I suspect the damage Trump has done is irreparable.

Consider what is really required to prevent Trump 2.0:

Wide-spread electoral reform. Especially wrt finances. Currently it is way too easy to pump money into the US electoral system, which again makes it way too easy for external forces to influence results. I’m not really seeing any credible political movement to curb the influence of money in politics, so I doubt this problem is going to disappear.

Decisive reigning-in of the executive aka shoring up of the democratic institutions. I strongly doubt this will happen. The Democrats may make some gestures in this direction once they are in power, but more likely the sentiment will be “why should we limit ourselves when the Republicans didn’t?” (as has already been argued), and actual effective reforms will be non-existent. Moreover, there is no way to institute reforms here that a GOP-controlled Congress/Senate cannot undo.

Responsible electorate. This doesn’t exist. In a world with a rational electorate, the GOP would not survive what they have been doing for the past years (essentially aiding and abetting treason, while destroying the lives of their electorate for their own enrichment). But people are stupid, and the electorate has no memory. The Democrats may win in 2 years time, but by 2028 or 2032, you’ll have a GOP-controlled government again.

And next time, the GOP won’t be so stupid.

Imagine a Trump who was not a moron. Who didn’t commit treason in the most obvious of ways, who didn’t needlessly antagonize, and - most importantly - who actually understood how government works, so that he doesn’t waste political capital on moves that serve zero purpose other than to create outrage. Imagine a Trump with actual charisma. I think that person would have carried out pretty much every one of Trump’s campaign promises right now and been pretty sure of a second term. And that person (or more likely - several of that type), are sitting somewhere in the US right now, taking notes from the Trump presidency. Worse - imagine a a person who actually understands the mechanisms of populism; understands that it can make sense to squeeze moneyed interests in the short-term, for long-term gains and power (i.e., an American Putin).

Considering how poorly the institutions of democracy have stood against the whirlwind of incompetence that Trump represents, I really doubt that it will withstand a deliberate, intelligent attempt to destroy it. And the latter will come at some point in the future.

Don’t be so optimistic.

So, This is interesting. From Barr’s testimony:

Barr said his “brief meeting” with Trump was squeezed into a busy morning shortly before a staff meeting. During his exchange with the president, Barr said Trump asked him how well he knew Mueller. He replied that he and his wife “would be good friends” long after the Russia probe concluded. Trump also asked what he thought about the special counsel’s “integrity and so forth and so on.”

“I said Bob is a straight shooter and should be dealt with as such,” Barr replied. He then told Trump he wasn’t interested in the job, shared his phone number and “never heard from him again” until the attorney general nomination came up.

Given how critical Trump has been of the relationship between Mueller and Comey, it seems surprising (even for Trump) that he’d choose someone to oversee the investigation that considers himself Mueller’s friend. Did he forget this conversation took place? Did he pick someone he could then deride for this reason?

Trump’s Razor?

I don’t think what Barr says here matters at all. He’ll say whatever is needed to get past this hearing, then do whatever he was hired to do.

Everyone Trump Touches Lies (apologies to R Wilson).

A couple of big stories today which dovetail:

With Mueller possibly investigating Nunes, I’d definitely expect any information Cohen could have had with regards to that, as well as any obstruction of justice investigation which could actually reach members of the House Oversight/Intelligence committees (particularly given the propensity for leaking from Congress), to be off limits.

Don’t apologize to that guy; he owes the rest of us an apology.

I think we mean different people, then. I was referring to Rick Wilson, who coined the phrase, “Everything Trump Touches Dies.”

Rainn Wilson does indeed owe us all an apology

Mueller may be getting ready to indict Corsi and Stone (gathering more nails for the coffins):

Nope, we mean the same person. This guy:

You see, up until about five minutes ago, Mr. Wilson had spent his entire adult life as a shit-slinging, Republican smear-merchant for hire. And Mr. Wilson was very good at his job because he understood exactly what kind of knuckle-dragging, atavistic racists made up the GOP base and exactly what kind of venomous language to deploy to fire them up and get them to the polls.

In fact, as late as March of 2016, Mr. Wilson was one of Ted Cruz’s corner men and was relieved when the Cruz presidential campaign finally filled its pockets with stones and walked into the sea.

And now, just two years after being the reluctant defender of Ted Cruz (and thanks to the tireless promotional efforts of his many, many, many friends in the Liberal media) Fredrick G. “Rick” Wilson is the much-sought-after, New York Times best-selling Never Trump author of “Holy Shit! The Republican Party is Full of Republicans!” and can pretty much pick and choose which publication will print his words.

This is all apparently the result of the mind-blowing epiphany – “Holy Shit! The Republican Party is Full of Republicans” – that came to Mr. Wilson over the same long weekend in 2016 that the same mind-blowing epiphany came to every other life-long Republican Never Trumper who wanted to continue making a living by selling their opinions. Which, when you think about it, is truly hilarious given the fact that Donald Trump could never in a skajillion years have won the nomination of the Republican Party if he had not been willing to sing from the Paranoid Racist Wingnut Hymnal more loudly and proudly than any other Republican candidate – a hymnal that has been relentlessly shaped and refined and weaponized over the last 30 years by none other than men like Fredrick G. “Rick” Wilson.

BTW, the special counsel’s office today sought a stay in the sentencing of Rick Gates yet again, citing his continuing and ongoing cooperation with an investigation in progress.

I’m sure a law and order stickler like DJT will be very happy to hear this.

This is a very interesting (and short) twitter thread…

Trump gets a win.

I thought yesterday they said they were upheld

May look like a win in the short term. We will see how it looks long term, once the Mueller investigation concludes.

So weird that all these Republican Senators are backing this oligarch. What a strange coincidence.

No Mitt, how surprising.

Yesterday it got enough on a procedural vote to advance to the full vote today, where it needed 60 to pass.