Trying to remember a sci-fi book and author

For some reason I started thinking yesterday about a sci-fi novel I read many years ago. I thought I remembered who had written it, but cannot find any mention of it attached to that author (SM Stirling), so I guess I am incorrect.

The basic idea of the novel was a French revolution type event happening on a planet that was very culturally French. The main character was involved in this revolution, and IIRC was poisoned near the end of the novel after the revolution succeeded and a battle for power among the leaders began (i.e. similar to what happened in the actual French revolution.)

Anyone remember this one? I want to say I read it in the early 1990s and seem to recall the author had a few other books that I liked as well. One other may have involved a crewman of a space freighter that because of relativity would come back from its runs to a world where decades had passed. But I could be wrong in thinking the two books were from the same author.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don’t want to have to go digging through my books that are in storage to see if I still have this book just to see who the author was!

Can you think of any details of the book? What little you’ve given isn’t really enough to even begin a search on. Character names, perhaps? professions? were there space ships and laser guns?

Might have been a David Drake book… doesn’t sound like anything that Stirling may have written. Or maybe James P. Hogan?

— Alan

Sounds vaguely like Inversions by Ian Banks, but I don’t think that’s it.

I’d guess Drake as well, though I can’t source it specifically. Weber, maybe?

Definitely not Inversions.

It’s not Drake or Weber.

I wish I could remember more details as I’ve tried googling and lots of crap is what comes up. My recollection is that it may have been a woman, but I’m not sure of that either.

This is most likely not A Million Open Doors by John Barnes, but there’s a very slim chance.

Doubtful. He’s too fond of writing about libertarianism for a plot like the one the OP outlined.

One of the Worlds books by Joe Haldeman?