TTS gets some competition. Maybe?

I have looked at it from the point of running RPGs on it as I do with TTS but the support for scripts and tools is sadly not there yet.

Some works in progress:

Oh sweet, a good implementation of Formula De would be worth the price of admission all by itself.

You’re in luck :)
Someone just put out a Formula D mod (the new version) and another guy followed with a collection of maps from the original Formula De. Wouldn’t take much to bash em together.

I’ve always been a Speed Circuit fan, though I haven’t picked up the new game based on it. Don’t have much interest within the local gamer crowd for racing games.

My other favorite racing game is Das Motorsportspiel, which is a lot of fun with the right crowd and very fast paced. Hard to find a copy unfortunately. Some good info on BGG about it.

I’m so out of date! :)

I haven’t really engaged with board gaming much for decades, since my old gaming group scattered to the four winds. I’m not even aware of Speed Circuit or Das Motorsportspiel, as a result (one really does have to love how literal German can be).

That definitely isn’t formula de. I do so love that game. With my group, it’s one of the go-to ‘we’ve got too many people’ or ‘we need to kill an hour until soandso shows up’. We even did a league a while back, with all the rules, including time trials for starting positions. The finale was a big double-map, 3 laps- players spent so much time in 5th and 6th gear that people ended up out of the race from blown engines, so many checks were being made. Good times.

Speed Circuit was an old Avalon Hill title, and 3M before that. I played my AH copy into dust.

I found DMSS on Boardgamegeek, read a few of the threads about it and had to own it. The rules are available on BGG, or they were. I don’t know if it is still available anywhere. The designer had copies at one point and there was a place in the US that had some but that has been years ago now.

Found a rules translation here: http://www.gamecabinet.com/rules/DTM.html
Couldn’t find any copies with a quick Google. It was a rather lavish production, with expensive model cars included.

Lack of boardgame racing opponents has driven me to iRacing lol!

Here are a couple screenies of that guys Formula D mod, looks pretty good:

The other guy did all 35 maps of the 1st edition. And I feel like I need to go up the resolution of my maps now. (I’m very stingy with file sizes, old habits die hard lol)

OK, I was never in-date to begin with then, I guess. :)

That looks amazing.

That really does look good.

Uploaded a few mods:

Up Front

Speed Cicuit, the three base game tracks

Nexus Ops, one of the best “dudes on a map” games ever.

Hive, a brain burner.

Alea Evangelii and Alquerque. A couple old school games to get my feet wet with the modding process.

Has anyone kept track of Tabletop Playground and can give some insight how its progressing as an alternative to TTS and what the mod scene is like?

I looked again a few weeks back and a couple more games I am interested in had mods. As in, maybe 2. The whole mod site was under 300 mods total.

Ok, thanks! Will have a look…

As long as you’re not looking for other players, it seems fine: https://steamcharts.com/app/838410

It seems to be going along, but it feels like the devs haven’t done much to get it out there. I made a bunch of mods up for it, couldn’t get my gaming buddies interested in it (they hadn’t committed to TTS yet either) and wandered off to other games.
It still is far better than TTS in my opinion, for playing, but especially from the mod-making point of view. I would far rather make another mod for Playground than fight with TTS again.

They were up against TTS having a 4 year headstart where they were pretty much the only game in town, so that’s a big lead to try and catch up. I’ll keep using it for solo stuff, and will eventually make some more mods for it, but I’ve been distracted by other things and unless I can convince some of my buddies to pick it up I am lacking in incentive to mess with it.
I still recommend it if you’re interested in it, it’s only $15 after all. Maybe eventually quality will pay off over quantity lol.

Still a little while to subscribe to the current Humble Choice bundle and get Tabletop Playground as part of the bundle, FYI. I’ve done so and…it’s pretty early access. Nowhere near feature parity with TTS from what I can tell. But I will also say that it loads almost instantly, which cannot be said for TTS in any way, shape or form. One interesting feature (which I believe Tabletopia also does but TTS doesn’t) is that when you start a game the mod can offer multiple setups presaved for you to choose from. You can also add additional packages when loading, but it doesn’t appear to spawn them directly, just add them to the object library to spawn manually. I didn’t play around with it enough to see if there were more elegant ways to do it. Mod.io also only downloads mods while you’re actually running the game - I’m not sure if there’s really any way around it (other than manually downloading and installing mods, which, bleh) but it’s a lot less convenient than Workshop as a result. Overall…I can’t see it being my choice for playing anything currently, but that’s down to its early state and the limited mod selection. It could get there.