Turkey's descent into authoritarianism

Maybe they’ll go to war with Saudi Arabia.

Then Trump will pull us out of NATO so he isn’t “allies” with the enemies of his besties.

What are those items she’s quoting?

Household goods prices last/this year: milk, tomato sauce, butter…

Updated numbers on the crackdown on dissent in Turkey, from a minister’s report to parliament this month (since the failed coup ~2 years ago)

Not sure where to put this, but this is one hell of a smoking gun and it appeared in Stars & Stripes.

Why is this huge? The soldier got released (and this hit the news) the day after the US announced it was leaving Syria and also approved a sale of Patriot Missiles to Turkey.

But Erdogan is our ally?

Surely this is the face of a trustworthy friend

Well, I guess we’ll soon see if we abandon our allies easily.

Surely, the Turks would not engage in a genocide. We can just ask the Armenians.

Spoiler alert: we will

This is the biggest danger of trump in the Whitehouse. He is causing permanent damage to our standing in the world stage.

There is a reason Mattis and McGurk both quit and it’s not because we’re going to protect the Kurds.

This breaks my heart. I feel sick and that I share some responsibility for this as an American citizen. I voted against Trump, but maybe I could have and should have done more to make sure we wasn’t elected.

Agreed completely

Any guesses as to how many days before Turkey starts pouring troops into Syria?

Sadly, since the 2003 Iraq invasion, the US has writing blank checks and making promises it is unable keep. Kurds are just the most visible victims of this because they have been our besties in that region for a long time.

Also, how many days until Trump starts a war with China?

Don’t think it would be China.

It’s more likely to be Iran… Or, since that would cause problems with Russia, more likely just some backwater country that no one cares about. Maybe some random country in Africa. Maybe invade South Africa to save the white farmers or something.

I’m guessing the day after our troops leave.

Trump has been antagonizing China to a greater degree since he’s been in office. Plus I think Trump is stupid enough to do it.

“Donald Trump likes this”

Thankfully our institutions have held up better than Turkey’s. So far.

Turkey has also issued an international arrest warrant for NBA demi-star Enes Kanter, dubiously linking him to a “rebel” group who were also, most likely, setup anyway. His family have already been forced to disown him and cut off all contact to avoid further retaliation (IIRC, his father was already jailed under similarly trumped up charges), and he’s said he won’t travel to an exhibition match in the UK over concerns about Turkish agents targeting him there.

It’s pretty nutballs. Dude was lucky to get out with his skills, but the fact that his family is trapped there is really awful. And sadly all too common with Erdogan’s regime…