Turning Point USA: Owning the Libs by Wearing Diapers Since 2012

TPUSA’s twitter account has shifted quite a bit in the last year or so. It used to be a lot of really trash level boomer memes, and those still exist, but mostly live on Charlie Kirk’s account.

They are pushing really hard into diverse communities right now, trying to gain traction with African American and Latino college kids. Their mantra is, “You don’t have to be white to be conservative” and “The Democrats are the real racists”

Who knows how it will work, I suspect it probably will win over a lot of young latinx and black students, until they come to the stark realization that the current GOP absolutely does not accept their race in the same way as TPUSA purports to care for them. (Not that TPUSA seems to care for POC at all.)

Maybe this will further hasten the destruction of the GOP as these motivated young conservative voters are forced to reconcile their conservative views with those of the people representing them.

It is interesting that they have hired Benny Johnson, the meme-lord of cringe, and have not shifted towards the memes again. I guess we will see.

Meanwhile the grift continues apace.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/Leaked-Memo-From-Conservative/243688

The memo accuses the organization of inflating the number of student chapters on high-school and college campuses, exaggerating its role in getting conservatives elected to student-government positions, and falsely boasting that it holds more activities than all other conservative youth groups combined.

Who would have thought, an organization built on selling itself to rich GOP donors is lying about their attendance and group numbers? The attached memo is a good read.

From the memo:

Kirk established an impressive social media and online presence for TPUSA. What he lacked in activities, he made up for through clever marketing, using pictures of students holding up signs and making unverified claims about the thousands of students involved with TPUSA.

The “rum” in “Trump”

Hey I didn’t say it was a good joke…

The Trum-Pee Tape - a fizzy drink that’ll get you pissed.

WaPo has a pretty deep article on Candace Owens and her “Blexit” campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/magazine/wp/2019/03/06/feature/candace-owens-is-the-new-face-of-black-conservatism-but-what-does-that-really-mean/?utm_term=.eba36511c1d6

Her first video, posted in July 2017, featured her “coming out” as a conservative to her parents. In it, she plays herself, and also her mom and dad (she wears a terry cloth bathrobe as Mrs. Owens, and her Mr. Owens sports a backward cap).

That is about all you need to know about Candace. She is an African American republican activist repackaging old black republican tropes and phrases (Democrats are the new plantation is from the Nixon era) as memes an tropes to connect to a young group of black and latino americans.

Jury is out that those Latinos she is targeting are excited about:

From backstage, we hear a chant erupt from the crowd: “Build! The! Wall! Build! The! Wall!” Owens grins.

I suspect she will be fighting the message of her own party for years, and I suppose in that way, she will always have a job translating the difference in GOP policy and actual impact on minority communities.