Twelve years later, Six Days in Fallujah is real

Title Twelve years later, Six Days in Fallujah is real
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When February 11, 2021

In 2009, Konami announced a third-person military action shooter based on the Iraq War - specifically, the infamous Second Battle of Fallujah that featured house-to-house fighting against insurgents that resulted in hundreds of civilian deaths..

Read the full article

The difference a couple of weeks make.

Then:

“For us as a team, it is really about helping players understand the complexity of urban combat. It’s about the experiences of that individual that is now there because of political decisions. And we do want to show how choices that are made by policymakers affect the choices that [a Marine] needs to make on the battlefield. Just as that [Marine] cannot second-guess the choices by the policymakers, we’re not trying to make a political commentary about whether or not the war itself was a good or a bad idea.”

Now:

https://twitter.com/VicturaGG/status/1368924485676527623

There’s some really fascinating stuff going on in this game. It’s basically an FPS (with a co-op campaign) with procedural level generation. We’ve seen that years and years ago, but they were really clumsy and primitive efforts. This looks like the technology has finally arrived.

And it’s not the geometry that changes. Tactical situations change.

Kotaku being Kotaku. They had a similarly embarrassing article today on Reggie leaving the Gamestop board of directors, where they described being a board member of a public company as “an advisory position with a nice paycheck”, lol. Utterly clueless, as usual.

I haven’t read anything about this game but wouldn’t Spec Ops: The Line fit under the war crimes subgenre? Or it is because it is a purely fictional exploration and condemnation of military jingoism while this presumably celebrates it based on true events?

This is coming to Steam Early Access on June 22.

By the time this comes out it’s going to be almost as much a history game as Call of Duty.

Well it’s “out,” and reviews are mixed. I can’t believe it’s early access even after such a long-ass development. Even positive reviews saying it’ll “be great” in a couple months or years. If the last 14 years didn’t do it, I don’t know why a couple more would.