Two separate game website rants

GameSpot’s opening ad sucks. But they have descended to a special level of hell with the EA Sports ad which camouflages as the front page of GameSpot. What a terrible fucking ad – it simply enrages me. :evil: To me, that’s just as bad as those popup ads that try and masquerade as Windows system dialog boxes – it’s deceitful, not to mention just plain lame. I guess they couldn’t just sell their products based on their merits…

GameSpy’s new “please click through this article” happens to be a list of their most underrated games of all time. On their list is Operation Flashpoint, which is referred to as a “sleeper”, along with an icon explaining that maybe it was too original for people to try it. I’m sorry, but I wish the games I’ve worked on were as overlooked and underrated as Flashpoint…because it sold over a million copies worldwide. Give me a fucking break…

Considering the dubious nature of GameSpy’s recent lists, I’m waiting for one of their 25 Most Overrated Games to also show up on their list of Most Underrated Games.

I have to admit that I clicked on that GameSpot ad twice before I figured out what the heck was going on. In a way, it reminded me of some of the old ads in CGW that were designed to look identical to the magazine reviews.

I wonder what happen to those special advertisment sections where they would describe a game like a preview including “interviews” of the developers.

Isn’t every preview a special advertisement? :roll: If publishers want to pay them to do what they will end up doing anyway I don’t really see the problem. I mean, when have you ever seen evidence of critical game journalism in a preview?

I’m sorry, but I wish the games I’ve worked on were as overlooked and underrated as Flashpoint…because it sold over a million copies worldwide.

More than 1.5 million (as of last year), and that was before Resistance and the GoTY edition hit the store shelves. It was probably mentioned because that article is written from a US perspective. I have no clue how well OFP did in the US, but I’m tempted to think it sold A LOT more in Europe (same for Vietcong). I do remember it being in the German Top 10 for quite a while, same for the Resistance add-on.

Isn’t every preview a special advertisement? :roll: If publishers want to pay them to do what they will end up doing anyway I don’t really see the problem. I mean, when have you ever seen evidence of critical game journalism in a preview?[/quote]

No mas!