Tyrant's Blessing: a fantasy take on the Into the Breach formula

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tyrant’s Blessing: fantasy Into the Breach ripoff

Oh, it’s out today, for reals (and not Early Access). It looked good enough on Retromation’s video:

Well, bestowing that moniker on it while asking whether or not it is any good might be jumping the gun a bit.

My one pet peeve/caution for those used to ITB: it appears upgrade stones can only be reset before leaving the screen. You can’t move stones around like energy cores after installation. Certainly something I can get used to, but not crazy about that, since it might encourage you to horde stones more.

A few interesting bits from a Steam review:

Differences I have seen from ITB:

1. There are some missions that have objective bonuses to protect buildings or stationary objects, but I haven’t seen them cause a failure.
  2. Instead of protecting buildings, you instead have to deal with your character’s previous location. So for example, if you move your character 4 blocks SE, a shadow of your char will exist in its original location. This means, you still have to deal with potential damage that might come to that spot after the turn ends. There are ways to avoid this with a Dash ability, but it seems you need to have “cover” like items near you, like a bush, or a wall.
  3. While you might be able to make custom teams in ITB (I can’t remember) you start off doing this in Tyrant’s Blessing, you pick the 3 heroes from your roster that you have unlocked and 1 pet, equaling 4 total members. The pets are not as advanced in abilities (they have one, as far as I can tell) than your main heroes.

Right, you choose each party member from the unlocked roster. There are no fixed squads.

I need to revisit the tutorial. I’m missing something about dashes. Sometimes a shadow is still left behind.

One interesting note about pets: they can use mission objects that require an operator (e.g. cannons)

I kept going, but just got more puzzled, to be honest.

Agreed. I’ve finished the first area, so as far as in that Retromation video. There are definitely things I prefer about ITB:

I really miss having the map overview and making some choices over which missions to take/avoid.

I already mentioned the upgrade stones.

The items you can buy from the merchant are not a fitting replacement for Island reputation. Furthermore, the items don’t have upgrades available to spend stones on.

Without the energy grid, there’s definitely something missing, especially combined with the previous point.

Having said that, I like what I’ve seen as far as the combat in the early going (and it has some unique mechanics), I’m just not sure it has the same push/pull tension that is part of the ITB magic.

Again, I’ve only seen the first area so far.

The only thing I am aware of is unlocking characters from the roster.

Any meta progression in this one?

Tyberia has been turned into a paradise by the Tyrant, free from war, suffering, and death - because nearly everyone has been turned into the undead. Take charge of the last living warriors in tactical, turn-based battles and drive the Dead Army into the sea!

The store page says so — and we got meta thread progression too.

I’ve only unlocked one new character so far (Tink). Maybe I just got lucky, but she is amazing. This “healer” can (after upgrades) heal/harm 5 units in a + for 3hp. Her passive dispels player “shadows” in adjacent squares when she uses a skill (including her own!).

Speaking of shadows, I feel dumb for not realizing this sooner, but units only leave a shadow when they are in a square that is under attack. This has important implications when deciding what order to do things in if you are moving units/enemies around.

I’m on my second run now. I lost the first one when I mistargeted an ability with no resets left and killed my own unit 😅

How do you like it so far?

Funny, but I just started playing Intro the Breach again because I never used all of the squads. I hadn’t played in years and it felt like a good time to get back to it. I wonder if I just should have bought this. Maybe when I’ve had enough Into the Breach and looking for a twist. I’ll be curious to hear what people think of this too.

I don’t really like a lot of the squads, tbh, but others I love. I’ve played a decent bit of ITB, but feel no compulsion whatsoever to win with every squad or anything like that.

I’m enjoying it, but I want to see what the later stages of runs look like. I’m not ready to give it a ringing endorsement just yet.