Ubisoft DRM Cracked!

malkav11 is talking about ME1, you are talking about ME2. ME1 and ME2 used two completely different systems. Most customers seem to be quite happy with the ME2 system.

Pirates are still to be reviled.

If there is a PR match between Ubisoft/publishers and pirates, then Ubi just kicked the ball into their own goal.

█ █ Support the companies, which software you actually enjoy!

LMAO!

You have as much proof that it is working as you have that it isn’t, it’s basically your word against those downloading it.

As for Chaos Theory, extremely popular?

Chaos Theory: 2.5 million units sold in the first 4 months, cracked supposedly 400+ days later

Modern Warfare 2: 4.7 million units sold in the first 24 hours just in the US and UK, cracked and working on the same day

Again, I’m not arguing that copy protection A is better or worse than B, it’s a simple fact: no matter what copy protection is used, there is no uncrackable system. And this whole thing is just getting all the attention because of Ubisoft’s new DRM not because of the game itself, niche or not.

Well then, in a couple of days when the pirates start bitching about how unstable it is and how it’s crashing all the time, I guess we’ll know. Though I highly doubt they’d ever admit to anything like that.

Look, all I’m saying is that you guys need to disassociate your hatred of DRM with your excitement of DRM getting cracked.

I haven’t even offered my opinion of the Ubisoft DRM in this thread. I will now - I think it fucking sucks, I think it’s terrible for gamers, I hope it goes away, dies, never comes back, and certainly doesn’t become a mainstream thing that other publishers pick up on.

Even if it somehow stopped 100% of piracy for good, not a single pirate could play the game, I still wouldn’t like it. It simply isn’t justifiable at all.

However, even with my vehement dislike of this DRM, I’m not going to blindly, instantly accept that since some release is out there, it works. I know far too much about this DRM to assume anything like that. There is far too much reliance on an external internet connection for actual content, not just activation.

Maybe it will be cracked really soon, within a month, give or take a couple weeks, but I don’t believe for a single second that this crack released in 24 hours is remotely stable, capapble, or legitimate in the least.

Fuckin’ A. +1

So you think it would be awesome if the DRM actually has been cracked, but it probably hasn’t, so no one should get excited? There’s a word for people like you, and that word is pessimist.

How does this sync with claims that the connection needs only 1kb/sec of bandwidth to work. There can’t be that much content that you’re downloading for it to only need such paltry bandwidth. (Even if that’s supposed to be kB or kibiByte or whatever the hell, that’s still not much of a content pipeline. That’s less bandwidth than a 9600 baud modem.)

Either I’m misremembering that figure from the Ubi press-release, they’re lying, or you’re mistaken. (#1 is a distinct possibility! :) )

It’s not pessimism. It’s realism. And certainly, the only thing cheering on an unproven crack like this does is remove any credibility at all from the anti-DRM movement.

Expecting a crack like this to work within 24 hours on a DRM system that requires a permanent internet connection to perpetually retrieve from a live service only demonstrates that you really don’t understand the system, undermining your entire argument from the get-go.

I’m not arguing pro-piracy, I get your point and agree mostly; what this proves is that no DRM system can eliminate piracy regardless of how it is implemented.

As for it (the pirate release) being unstable or whatnot, it’s PIRACY, it’s bound to be unstable, but most releases work fine. As for content download, piracy also managed to bypass that in several cases, with people cracking patches or even patching programs that install the content aside an internet connection (the DLC’s of ME2 and DA being a good example of self executables created outside the game that install the content to the game as if it was a download from the server or even Steam-based games with working cracks and content patches).

Again, i’m not arguing pro-piracy, i’m arguing against retarded DRM.

1kb/sec could be something like random lines of code interspersed throughout the game. That is the exact type of thing that would yield a false-positive, of a crack people think are working, only to find out it crashes all the time a few hours in.

You speak as someone who already tried it and knows with 100% certainty that it does not work.What if it…you know, does, work, perfectly? (I don’t know)

If this crack actually does work I’d be the happiest kid on the planet - and I’ll be buying Silent Hunter 5 this weekend.

It is boosting sales already!

Or more likely they will just make even more draconian copy protection which will also be cracked quickly. No matter who wins, paying customers lose.

I haven’t tried it. Haven’t pirated a game in years - I can afford anything I want to play, and I certainly don’t need to pirate games I don’t even have time to play in the first place.

Whoa, hey man, no need to get so defensive. Why are you getting so defensive?

Pirate!