Ubisoft's Steep - Open world extreme snow sports

It is? But they keep telling me to buy the expansion in the beta.

that is so weird - I am certain I was reading those exact words in the PS4 store “This is a stand alone game and does not require Steep” and as such I was pretty glad I got it for free as part of the season pass.

But now I cant find it! I wonder if there are different versions?

On the Xbox, it looks like there’s an expansion for $30, or you can get Steep Winter Olympics edition for $60, or Steep Winter Olympics Gold, which is $80 and includes the Steep Season Pass. But there seems to be no standalone Road to the Olympics.

OK, so this looked like fun, so I bought the Olympic edition. Question - aside from the snowboard stuff, how do you learn how to do the other things - ski/board cross, downhill, GS, etc? It seems the story mode only really teaches you how to do the three snowboard events (pipe, big air, slopestyle).

Still fun - even the base game.

That’s a great question, Mr. BluesFan and one of the reason the Olympics stuff bounced off me. The new events were all sports kinds of things that demanded specific skills that I didn’t really have, because I’ve just been sliding down mountains and exploring.

-Tom

From the demo of the Olympic stuff though, it did make me appreciate the downhill races that I watch on TV much more than I did before. I hadn’t realized what deathtraps they were.

Forget trying to get a medal, I couldn’t even complete one downhill run without crashing, not even while trying to go slowly.

So the other day I was watching it on TV, and appreciating that, wow, nearly every single turn in this course in South Korea is a blind turn. You approach a little hill, and can’t see beyond it, and then the camera switches to a different camera on the other side of the hill which shows the athlete flying over the hill and landing at the right angle to take the turn. It gave me flashbacks from the game, and made me realize they have every single one of these turns memorized. They have to, in order to know which way to turn.

Here’s my issue - I bought it not necessarily for the Olympic events, but that helped drive the sale. Yes, the other stuff is fun in a pure exploring kind of way, but for me (and I obviously don’t speak for all gamers), that doesn’t keep me entertained that long. I like the competition, which is why I wish there were at least training runs for the sports they aren’t covering in the story mode.

I did get silver in my one and only try at snowboard cross, So there is that.

Is getting medals on the events not cutting it for you? That was a pretty effective pull for me, especially since I could concentrate on the events I liked most.

-Tom

It’s fine, but what pushed me over the edge to buy it were the skiing events - specifically, downhill, super G, GS, etc. If they had those kind of events in the main game, then the Olympic stuff would be a nice add on. But there isn’t (or not that I’ve seen). Which means there doesn’t seem to be any training on the downhill, or how to ski a slalom, etc. It’s a lot different skillset (so to speak) than the concentration on tricks and air and just getting around in the base game.

And that’s not to take away from the base game. Like I said, all I’m looking for was some idea on how to be at least semi successful at the events that aren’t at all like the base game.

And now I can’t play it at all, as it just goes to a black screen after the initial ‘steep’ splash screen (this is Steam/PC). Anyone know a fix for this?

Arise thread!

So I just got the gold edition thingy for cheap on GMG, like $20.

And just did a few runs and such.

Holy crap.

This is astounding. It’s gorgeous, runs great on my potato computer, and is just…a thrill to play. I can see myself really getting lost on these mountains, which the game seems to encourage!

I just got this, and it scratches the Mirror’s Edge itch Catalyst can’t. So many time trials. So many different ways to explore. This is from someone who had never skied and merely understood the physics of skiing. And when my dude crash down the mountain like a rag doll, I just can’t stop laughing. IRL it is instant death, but in a game it is hilarious.

I wince when my guy crashes still, but yeah, it’s also hilarious. I had so much fun paragliding for the first time too. Great way to find drop zones.

Still loving this game a lot. I suspect I’ll play it for quite some time. :)

I spent much of my time with the game yesterday doing one race over and over again. It was a checkpoint race in which checkpoints were like, on decks and in the middle of alcoves of buildings. REALLY great. Went through it four times before realizing I needed to do a little jump at one point to get over a tiny fence.

It was super satisfying to go from failing to bronze to silver. I’ll get gold eventually. This is excellent practice.

Also had fun with a precision wingsuit race, which is always super tense because of OMG TREEE NOOOO KO DAMMIT. ;)

This finally hit my $10 price on playstation so I picked it up and my kid and I had great fun. She discovered skiing backwards which she loved. Later I ran a few of the races. Everything controls so easily and feels so good! And the game is so quick to the action.
The base game has so much in it, for $10 it’s a great deal.

IT’s such a fun game.

Shows up as 20€ here, which is above my impulse buy threshold… Will wait for a better offer!

I spent about $22 on the gold edition and feel it’s money well spent.

There’s an X-Games expansion that just came out for US$15. If it is included that would increase the cost.

Crap, had no idea! Sold!