Undawn - Will Smith in a zombie apocalypse survival MMO

This game literally has Will Smith in it as an NPC and it cost $140 million to make. How have I not heard of this garbage until now?

According to Reuters, quoting research firm Appmagic, Undawn brought in revenue of just $287,000 last month. IGN has asked Tencent for comment.

The failure of Undawn is one of many reasons for a strategic shift at Tencent that has also resulted in the potential delay of mobile game Assassin’s Creed Jade. Tencent is said to be focusing on casual party games and games like Genshin Impact, while moving away from working on mobile versions of Western IPs.

So uh, hello and goodbye I guess?

Lol, it turns out gacha isn’t a monetization model that grafts onto every genre. Good. I hope Tencent just abandons western markets.

Happily, they have left the non Chinese (or western, in any case) Path of Exile markets alone and it remains superb. The Chinese version has insane monetization (at Tencent’s insistence, of course), with a ton of things available you can’t get in the west. And it apparently makes mad bank over there.

None of their other games really inspire confidence though.

This looks like a game from 10 years ago. Worse even. The Division is almost 10 years old, and it looked way better than this.

Ewww. That’s really gross. I guess we’ll always have Grim Dawn?

Tencent haven’t touched “western” PoE. And they have expressed zero desire to do so (and that part of negotiations before Grinding Gear Games were purchased revolved around this). Obviously something could change in the future. But it’s been years and so far so good. While I find Tencent especially gross in regards to their monetization approaches, I’m willing to take chances there. I believe Chris (the CEO of GGG) has suggested that PoE’s Chinese revenue exceeds all western revenue. Like Japan, I think there’s a good deal of “capture the people who don’t have time market” in play there. Which is why they get all the gross shit.

But there’s also always Last Epoch. ARPG land is pretty strong right now with GD, Last Epoch, and PoE IMO.

Can you slap zombies?

No, of course not, I understood you. I just meant it was gross knowing Tencent had bastardized Path of Exile so terribly, but at least Grim Dawn isn’t kowtowing to the Chinese, so we’ll always have Grim Dawn.

To be honest, I always have to stop for a nanosecond to think about which one is Grim Dawn and which one is Path of Exile. It’s like any time I have to distinguish east from west, I have to take a nanosecond to picture a map of the US and reference the two coasts. : )

There it is! That’s the Will Smith gag this thread needed! Nicely played, Mr. 71!