Underworld Ascendant brought to you by Zombie Looking Glass

You would be correct in saying that. At least, that’s what I have gathered thus far.
This Starbreeze is not at all the same as the old Starbreeze.
From the MachineGames Wikipedia:

This is an unpopular opinion, but I liked Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons so much more than everything else that Starbreeze and MachineGames developed, and that shipped after the Riddick talent exodus. Given that Josef Fares left to form Hazelight Studios, though, I’m fairly sure most of the team responsible for that game are no longer at the studio either. I’ve seen a few former Payday 2 devs on Twitter who don’t seem surprised by the studio’s recent woes.

As mentioned by Alistair, Kingdom Come actually pushes the envelope on first person melee quite from Skyrim et al.

I still find it fascinating that Josef Fares the filmmaker just founded a game studio and is making games now. And yeah Brothers were pretty amazing.

I was curious as to sales figures for UA. The Steam charts are absolutely brutal.

Peak of 19 concurrent players.
https://steamcharts.com/app/692840#1m

Dark Messiah (released in 2006) had a peak of 81
https://steamcharts.com/app/2100#1m

A lot of stuff I was keeping an eye on is tanking recently. This, Fallout 76, Just Cause 4…

Don’t give up on Fallout '76, I’d say. It’s the most fun I’ve had with a game all year, no joke.

Roadmap to fix (some) of all the things.

Ouch, down to single figures.
https://steamcharts.com/app/692840

Man, if they could overhaul the savegame system in a month of work, why didn’t they just delay release for that?

The Steam chart numbers are devastating. A 24-hour peak of 17 players? Ugh.

Given that, I am surprised and pleased that they haven’t just abandoned it and moved on. I still want to play a good version of this, so I hope we eventually get one.

The February patch is looking promising. Game might be fun by then.

It shows an all time peak of 322. Does it include press accounts?

You would think more people would have tried it when it hit 1.0

There were almost 15k backers.

Hell, I backed it. Upon release, I learned from this thread that they had fundamentally altered some of the parts of the game I was most excited about and fucked up the save system. So I never even installed it. Just called my $20 wasted and moved on.

Ditto. except it was $125…

Yep, I’m another backer who never even started playing based on the word of mouth.

I didn’t back it, but I will buy it if the save game system repair happens.

https://otherside-e.com/wp/underworld-ascendant-where-were-headed-how-we-got-here/

Well, that seems like a reasonable mea culpa. It was indeed a funding problem.

Good lord, this “TL;DR we shit the bed” is almost exactly the same fucking thing given by the yots over at Nightdive when they shit the bed with the System Shock Remake. To wit:

1. Fire up community with a “we are going to totally update [beloved favorite here] and it is going to be awesome! Here’s some screen shots of our vision!”

2. Wait for sweet, sweet KS cash to roll in.

3. Now that the hot, sweaty cash is in your grubby paws, Immediately start creating a game that is not [beloved favorite thing], but kinda your own thing that is like the “spiritual successor” to [BFT], but with your own precious “vision” behind it. Don’t necessarily tell your backers this is what you had planned all along.

4. Attract some third-rate publisher or get a hookup from some guy you know at big publisher. Go full speed ahead on your “vision”. Ignore rumblings from your backers; now the publisher is with you, fuck them.

5. Cobble together some shit. Maybe you switch engines from Unity to Unreal, or Adventure Game Studio, or Inform 7, or whatever. Roll 2d12 and add that number of months to development.

6. Publisher takes a powder when Deus Ex 3 Part 3 flops like a, well, flopper, and Prey does the same (goddamn it). You are now out of money. Oh shit. The backers are important again.

7. If you’re Otherside, you release a steaming pile of shit and promise you’ll fix it later, without acknowledging that even if you had released the right game, your fanbase would have said "WTF is this – this isn’t Underworld 3". OK, there were words about “well, we just didn’t get that the people who gave us money for UU3 actually expected us to make something like UU3, gosh” but that’s just marketing/CYA speak and we expect that these days so that anal sex doesn’t hurt as much as it used to.

8. (If you’re Nightdive, openly come out with a “yeah, we were making something completely different until our pub abandoned us” statement, then completely restart development on what they should have been making all along. See you Christmas 2020, suckers, if ever).

9. Listen to bitter greybeards shit all over your hard, if misguided, work.

10 …

1. Shit bon3rz! The Looking Glass curse is still in full effect!

Note to everyone: if somebody comes up with a "TERRA NOVA REMAKE!!! kickstarter, bomb their houses.