Unexplored - Roguelike/Roguelite

Picked this up and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to open a dang door, and still never did! I think I explored the whole level, found all the switches etc, but still couldn’t figure out what I was missing. I like it so far, but wonder if this is a game which is going to drive me nuts with my lack of patience for puzzles.

Playing with K&M in relative mode (I think, where W always moves you forward), and I am sort of getting used to it, but think I should probably break out the controller.

Did you find lockpick? They pick the early “locked” doors easily. If it is “barred”, it means you need to find a switch. If you are really stuck (sometimes, the dungeon generation can get wonky), just “pray for help” in front of a door, and a one-use teleporter will appear.

It was barred. I found all the levers (unless I was missing a hidden door). There was a room with these crypt like things in the corners that were “too heavy” and 4 pots. I spent way too much time moving pots around to see to see if that would do something.

First game, was just probably missing something obvious. My next run it felt like I was doing great and collecting all sorts of loot. And then due to my clumsiness with the controls I died getting poisoned by this think that shoots poison barbs.

Liking it the more I play it.

I am getting some screen tear on it but vsync is turned on. At least I think that is what it is, a horizontal line sometimes where the graphics don’t look quite right? Anyone else getting this? Could be because I was an idiot and installed the newest Nvidia drivers the other day.

I am using quite old Nvidia drivers and experiencing the same issue as well.

No screen tearing here, but maybe try playing in a Window instead of full screen?

Also, in regards to doors you can’t open and puzzles, the more familiar with the game “world” itself and the puzzles you get, the more you’ll find you get out of each run. For example, the first time you realize how to recognize and open a specific type of secret door, you’ll find them every time you play and open them with ease, getting a ton of free loot that early on you are probably walking right past.

To clarify, Relative Mode is when pressing W moves your hero toward the cursor. Absolute Mode is when pressing W moves your hero ‘up’ (i.e., towards the top of the screen).

I haven’t played a lot, too many other shiny things, but this game always makes me laugh. Latest death: found a staff that casts spells. You don’t know what spell until you try it. Use it and it is a staff of summons. Except it summoned a bunch of swords that killed me before I knew what was going on.

My biggest problem is, besides not being smart enough to figure out some of the puzzles, is that my ineptitude with the controls keeps getting me killed.

I don’t understand this game. There seem to be so many monstrous things early on (e.g. Hulking Rats) that just utterly destroy you, yet there often is no way around them.

Perhaps I just suck with the real time controls, but the game seems really difficult. And not in a roguelike progression way, but in a “oh, there’s a gargoyle on level one, you’re fucked” sort of way.

On top of which, I really do not like games that force you to memorize little bits of things (like potion combinations, etc.). Once you have discovered a game tip (e.g. combine this plus that to make a fire resist potion), it should keep that information on hand for you, rather than making you memorize it for the next game.

Are you fighting everything? If there’s something that’s hard to fight and you can ignore it, you should. Avoiding combat is at least as important as being good at it.

I generally dislike games with item combinations for exactly this reason. Luckily there’s enough other stuff in the game that I like that that hasn’t killed it for me, but I agree with you there.

I’m trying not to fight everything, but it seems pretty hard. Stuff aggros to you pretty easily/quickly, and I often find myself getting mashed by things before really even being able to think about escaping. Otherwise, I often have to go through things to progress (like in my last game, the aforementioned Hulking Rat).

Couple things:

° you can hide while against a wall under normal lighting (light sources reveal you), so you should be able to sneak around a monster you don’t want to engage
° if I remember correctly, a journal is kept for each run. Does that detail the recipes you’ve discovered?

I’ve always had a hard time with the sneaking, as you have to basically tap your keys to move. I wish there were a better way to stay hidden that did not involve manually tap tap tapping your keys.

Regarding the journal, yes, it keeps one, but so far as I can tell, the information is only for that run. Basically, what I want is that if I have already learned it while playing the game, it should be there for me. I should not have to memorize it or write it down at my desk.

I heard the level design in this game is really good. Makes me wonder which roguelikes have the best level design.

Damn daily seeds rolling over at midnight…how am i supposed to gloat when i finish my leaderboard topping run at 130am…

The latest episode of the excellent Roguelike Radio podcast features an interview with the creator of Unexplored, Joris Dormans.