Unity2020

I find it interesting that he says that China is evil due to their treatment of Uighurs. Were you asleep, Bluddy, for about 3.5 years of putting Latinos in cages on our borders, watching their children get sick and die due to neglect and lack of basic food and health care?

To be fair, Trump didn’t actually deliberately kill those kids in cages, nor harvest their organs; but the error is in thinking he didn’t do those things because he wouldn’t do something like that. Of course he would, if he could profit from it and get away with it.

So like, harvest covid antibodies out of an imprisoned population, something like that?

Don’t give Trump ideas.

I’m so confused over what is right and left, conservative and liberal these days. With the conservative white house being so far right, this means that center right is actually now center left. But then where is center left, extreme left? And so where does extreme left now fall, maybe epic or legendary left?

In today’s fucked up climate then, I agree that discussions between center left and extreme left are the most productive. Center left can bring to the table more efficiently run government and extreme left can discuss needed social programs. Etc.

One thing I do know, is don’t call yourself right, even if you did before. That makes you a racist nutjob. Better to just throw your hands up at the terminology and discuss the actual issues.

There are more ways to be on the left or on the right than just “far-” and “center-”. Does anyone really believe that something as complex as political ideology can be graphed on one big long line? These are increasingly useless and even dangerously fraught terms, because they cause us to lump people together in ways that aren’t real. Couple that with the amount of vitriol that politics elicits, and we get the equivalent of an indiscriminate firing squad. Hey, I don’t mind if someone thinks we should (metaphorically) execute both Donald Trump and Mitt Romney, but don’t do so because you consider them fellow-travelers! They share almost nothing in common, politically speaking.

We’re mapping the author of an article asking for “unity”, who also thinks that white culture deserves elevation above all others because it is…white culture, which is supreme.

No thanks.

I was hoping this thread was about a big update to the game dev toolkit.

There is no unity with asshole ideologies, man. Nazism, Feudal Communism(former USSR & satellites, China), God Emperor Communism(NK), Populist Fascism(Putin, Hungary’s Orban, Erdogan, Trump&GOP) are incompatible with democracy, they rely on a person or a small minority to rule, without question or dispute. Give any of these guys control of a state for a decade or so and they will dump on everything and everyone until the whole thing is a nice, uniform pile of shit.

The GOP is no longer a democratic right-wing party, if you want to know what that looks like, consider the Tories in the UK or Germany’s CDU.

The author of the proposal, evidentially.

(Conspicuously missing from the manifesto: any definition of “center-left” and “center-right,” any examples of living people who might work as candidates, any discussion of the procedure to select said candidates, any discussion of the mechanism that would force the selection of center-left and center-right candidates as opposed to two candidates from the polar extremes, two candidates from the same side etc., let alone just random Kardashians or pro wrestlers, etc.)

Extremely well said. That’s a sentiment that isn’t specific to any ideology or political party but is rather a widespread problem that distorts and suppresses political debate.

Discussion based on the premise that one entire political party, from elected officials all the way down to individual leaders, is irredeemably evil or psychopaths or morally corrupt is a great way to vent but just leads to echo chambers. Especially when folks trying to take a more nuanced view are shouted down as being apologists or both-siderists. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of people taking dishonest rhetorical positions in America and using both-siderism as a way to deflect attention and defend the indefensible, but there’s also a big difference between both-siderism and not conforming to a simplistic black-and-white mine-vs-yours good-vs-evil view of political issues.

This only comes up when a Democrat wins power, or is about to, in order to basically preserve the regressive right wing gains.

Indeed there are, and some of them are the authors of this proposal.

Huh, that’s interesting. There’s this other guy called Tortilla over in this thread, making the opposite case - that we should expect parties to act “in lockstep”

Which would mean that if the leadership of a ruling national political party had put into effect policies that were clearly evil - putting kids in cages, say, and intentionally destroying their families - we would expect most members of that party to remain “in lockstep” with the evil party leadership by not actively opposing them.

We would also then expect it to be perfectly fair for those opposing the evil to call these “in lockstep” collaborators evil, because they both enabled the national leadership by not offering full-time opposition and benefited from the evil personally by partaking in the assistance of the party’s apparatus and funding.

The Tories are no longer a democratic right wing party. They are far right ethno-nationalists.

If you think this is strong left-wing, you haven’t seen a lot of other places. This place comes off as very centrist to me.

This bothsiding bullshit needs to be called out for the apologism it truly is, and should be treated with complete intolerance.

I think it’s clear from both the context in the threads and in the actual quoted text that they are not about the same topic. The former was a discussion of an entire political party from top to bottom, the latter was a discussion of how people elected to congress have to work inside the confines of a party apparatus.

Lol, you guys are trying to split hairs about whether the reigning US oligarchy is actually penetrating the collective buttholes of…well, everyone…but with or without reluctant consent.

Nah, fuck you.

They are literally evil. The uneducated and/or ignorant and/or incurious masses spitting on retail workers because their cult leaders told them to? Eh, okay, I guess if useful idiots is a gentler descriptor, sure.

But the actual power behind the right wing in the US (and probably Canada, the UK, most of the EU, and Australia? Sorry, I just don’t have the context to speak cogently about other parts of the world)? That right wing power? That’s literally evil. It is the immiseration of billions, now and for decades into the future, to protect the power and privilege of a tiny cadre of humans.

Fuck them. They get nothing.

Come at me.

I feel like we need figure out a good way to have a discussion on political ideologies that is completely separate from the political parties and their actions because the two aren’t really linked at all.

The Democratic party is essentially a coalition of numerous factions and the Republicans have devolved into a pro-white populist group.

As to Congress. I wonder if restoring earmarks would make members less dependent on the Party apparatus, and more respondent to the needs of the people they allegedly represent.

The Pork has to be less expensive than the bailouts and legal fights. probably less dependence on lobbyists too…