Universal Studios Theme Park getting a refresh

Much of it is just stuff that already exists like Hogwartz, the Nintendo area, classic movies, etc with more displays and rides being made. A new area for How to Train Your Dragon is being added. It’s all being themed together with a new Celestial Park hub under the “Universal Epic Universe” which may be the dumbest name ever.

Oh, and for fans of the defunct Dark Universe movies, I guess they’re bringing back that name for this.

Needs a Scott Pilgrim ride/stunt show, a Dazed and Confused chill-out/hazing pavilion, and an Oppenheimer “Trinity” attraction.

I went to Universal Studios in LA in 1996. By far the most disappointing visit to any theme park ever.

A fake looking shark. A fake looking earthquake. A boring Back to the future ride. And that’s about all I remember from it. I remember the backlot set where Back to the Future town square was looking really boring outside the movie. I mean, it’s just some buildings without all the flourish and extras and such, so why are they even showing us these boring looking structures?

Anyway, I guess this looks a LOT better than that.

Big difference. Universal Studios in Florida is a theme park - actually 2 of them currently and this will be the third one. It’s not a working studio. Universal Studios in LA is a studio and theme park, although not at the same level as Florida (no real thrill rides). That beings said, I was there in September and got to visit ‘Little Europe’, which they used as the town in ‘The Good Place’ and a bunch of other ‘cameos’ as well (short scene from the first ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ was filmed there), and saw the set used for the current iteration of ‘Quantum Leap’.

TD;DR version - the two ‘studios’ are very much not alike except for the name.

Here’s something that will date me. The last time I went on the Universal tour tram in Hollywood, our ride got stopped and held for about half an hour just after the Bates house because they were filming a scene for the Sheriff Lobo TV show in that field just off the path.

That’s costing a buttload of money, but for kids and families, I’d say it looks promising. Not for me so much as a DINK who’s wife doesn’t like rides.

This is awesome beyond words.

The Mummy was my favorite ride there. At one point when there was no line, we went on it 5 or 6 times in a row.

The last time I went to Universal Hollywood, the tram went through a Cylon Base ship from the original BSG! Boy that was cool. I’ve been to the FL one a bunch since then, though.

Mummy ride was something! I will surely ride it again.