Unreal Tournament 3 worth it?

So now I bought World of Goo at Steam and saw that they have UT3 for 12€. So my question: Is it worth it? I enjoyed UT 2004 although I never play online. I just play for the occasional DM against some bots. I also liked the Assault mode, CTF etc. but never got a grip at Onslaught.
So, any opinions to UT3?

for $11.99? Yes.

awesome custom maps/mod community + ability to play offline against bots is a win in my book. game is a looker too.

They took out Assault… again. I would say no.

To be truthful, everyone talks about Assault like it’s the greatest game type but a -tiny- fraction of people actually played it. It was way too much work for too little pay off. Those maps take forever to make and balance and play test.

I’m trying to buy this game but Steam keeps telling me I already I own it. I assume this is because the game shows up in my list because of the free weekend.

If you only play against bots, I’d say skipping UT3 is fine. I do the same thing with UT games, and UT3’s bots seemed stupider than UT2004’s. Haven’t been able to get Steam downloading it ever since the big patch so I don’t know how much the AI’s actually improved, but as it was it wasn’t very smart.

Then again, it’s $12. If you’re at all in the mood for more UT-esque action it probably won’t disappoint you much at that price. So if you feel like UT go for it, but it’s not really good enough to try if you’re not.

The free Titan expansion made a lot of AI changes. Are you talking AI pre or post that?

That’s a shame, because after finally finishing the UT3 download from Steam, I hopped on to try DM and the Warfare modes, played for a coupla hours, and decided UT3 (even at the excellent price point) wasn’t for me. I really missed Assault :(

You’d know best, but perhaps a stand-alone UT focused on Assault might have an audience? Something similar to the excellent Quake Wars: Enemy Territory but in the UT universe and with UT vehicles, naturally.

i am sure QW did not sell well. it sold disastrously judging from the piles of collector’s and regular editions i’ve seen clutter up retail at $5-10-20 pricepoints throughout 2008.

That’s a shame, because after finally finishing the UT3 download from Steam, I hopped on to try DM and the Warfare modes, played for a coupla hours, and decided UT3 (even at the excellent price point) wasn’t for me. I really missed Assault :(

That’s fine but realize you’re in a very small minority there. :) In terms of missing Assault, I mean.

Maybe so, but they were the most memorable of any straightfoward FPS ever made. I mean, you had some with spaceships dueling! Getting into a space station with turrets manned by players!!

Those missions sold me on UT 2004, no doubt at all. UT 2004 had just so many crazy and fun locations with a great sense of scale but UT3 just seemed to move toward being slightly more pedestrian and “just another glossy multiplayer FPS shooter”.

Put me in the camp that cared nothing for Assault. It was fun once or twice just to see the maps, but after you learned what was going to happen, it was pretty boring. I think UT3 is still the best multiplayer FPS out, but it would seem most people prefer more tactical stuff.