US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

I think Trump was finally broken today.

The ATC revolt+ Stone might have done him in.

Shitgibbon can also do a SOTU if the government is re-open.

Obviously any agreement from the president to reopen the government needs to include a threat.

This also.

A good point:

I just meant what’s Trump’s end game? We know he doesn’t really care about the workers, except its negative effect on his poll numbers.

It seems he’s not going to abandon his wall wet dream so we’ll be going through this again in a few weeks I assume.

He’s going to threaten to national emergency his wall. Democrats will call his bluff, since that is incredibly unpopular (the wall is unpopular; keeping government shutdown for a wall even more unpopular; issuing a national emergency for a wall is more unpopular than those two things, unbelievably).

In three weeks, Trump may threaten and bluster about his wall. He may have aides who encourage him to go ahead. It’s likely someone will tell him “Let’s not.” Dunno.

But he knows he lost this fight, and it cannot continue. He can reframe it in another losing way, or he can try just hoping that he gets blistered for a week or two by Coulter and Rush but their shared white supremacy eventually bonds them back together.

The damage this regime has done to the environment and wildlife is nearly catastrophic, and this stupid immoral wall just adds to it (SCOTUS has already ruled they can ignore environmental laws for it.) I’ll just add that your partner has a tough career but kudos to them for sticking it out.

Even a short re-opening of the government is probably good. My guess is that the WH sees it as losing the battle of course, but will take the break to try and reframe the argument for the next shut down in February so they aren’t the ones taking the heat

Glad I’m not flying for a few months.

I still haven’t seen a response by the GOP to the question “If the border is in such a state of emergency, why didn’t the GOP enact wall funding while they controlled all 3 branches of government?”

Would it have required 60 votes in the Senate? With everything going on in this country, I keep losing track of the simple rules like # of votes for certain things, etc.

They probably could have included it in the tax scam bill, but I’m not a parliamentarian so I’m not certain.

Or they could have handled it in reconciliation, just like they rammed the tax bill through.

I feel the worst for all the contractors that were totally screwed out of a month of pay thanks to his bullshit. Assuming this even happens today. I’m currently a freelancer and it’d really screw me over if my current employer suddenly shut down for a month.

For now, I regret ever having expressed even remote trepidation in her as a speaker.

I only hope she’s training someone young and dynamic in how to play this game so that when she does step aside, her legacy continues.

It’s interesting that Reagan had fired the ATC guys when they went on strike…
But Trump can’t, because no one will fill that job now.

Yet another facet of Trump’s failure.

Yeah, this past scene has highlighted exactly why Pelosi was the right choice. I doubt that anyone else would have had the total resolve and confidence to play it as she did.

And it’s exactly that confidence that won the day… Like when Trump tried to ignore her statement on the SOTU, and she almost IMMEDIATELY shot it down.

They wanted to create chaos for a whole news cycle with that, and she just fucking ended it.

She is literally treating him like he’s a child. And it’s working.