US Government Shutdown Watch: 2018 Edition. More Bricks in the Wall?

I mean, Trump just regurgitated the lies and nonsense he spouted at his rallies in September and October. None of them moved the needle. Democrats won their biggest House landslide since Watergate.

Carry on.

I just caught it, lots of sniffing. :D

Watching the Dem response now.

BTW, just before speech time, Lisa Murkowski joined Susan Collins and Corey Gardner in calling for appropriations bills to reopen the government.

BTW, have we talked yet about how MSNBC’s ratings have been zooming up, and FOX News’s ratings have been spiraling? Because that’s also a thing that’s happening.

LOL.

Maybe he’ll just quit.

Schumer bringing up Trump’s failure on national TV, to get Mexico to pay for his wall.

QONVIyz

The only thing keeping him from quitting at this point is the legal jeopardy not being president would open him up to. He literally has to stay President now no matter how much he doesn’t want to. So we’re all in the same Hell which is a tiny, tiny, tiny consolation.

Meanwhile, I love that Trump now even fails at being Trump. I came up with the perfect strategy for him to declare this defeat a victory and move on but he’s too incompetent and impotent at this point to even execute Trumpian bullshit judo. Good.

Seems like a reasonable way to combat McConnell’s obstruction of bills. If he wants to prevent bills from being voted on, well, so can the Dems. Bipartisan gridlock is better than gridlock that only helps the GOP.

My wife kept telling me to be quiet because I was yelling at the TV so many times “you’re a fucking imbecile” with all of Trump’s claims.

I come to this thread to comfort me and the lack of complaining & dissecting all of Trump’s lies in this thread disappoints me.

It’s better for my blood pressure not to hear or see Donald Trump speak.

Trigger basically said all there was to be said.

Trump just repeated the same lies he’s been saying for months, that lost him the midterms.

It was a bad speech. It doesn’t merit deeper examination.

I mean, per that NYT article, Trump himself said as much today to news anchors off the record. He didn’t want to give this speech. He doesn’t want to go to the border. He doesn’t think either will move the needle, but Stephen Miller and others are pressing him to do it.

It’s a losing argument all around. And Trump is losing faith in it, it sounds like.

Any opportunity to wallow in his failure is a good time.

I watched it on NPR and they said basically the same thing “move on, nothing new to see here”

Trump’s a troll. They power up by the indignant reaction, justifiable anger, and rage of others. What hurts them is when a troll trolls, and no one cares.

So what does a loss look like for Trump? He just says “I never really wanted the wall anyway” and walks away?

I do kind of expect that by Friday, Trump will declare his state of emergency to get wall funding from the DoD. And the Senate then passes appropriations bills and reopens the government. And then multiple judges at every step tell Trump he can’t get his wall money doing what he did. And we get the scenario Menzo has described multiple times here: Trump declares victory by saying he acted on the wall, and it was those damn judges who thwarted him. Congress gets the government open. Everyone returns to their corners.

That may be the only way out for him.

Shepard Smith, not mincing words.