US hires mercenaries in New Orleans

Security Guards != Policemen

The distinction between policemen and mercenaries is very real, but unfortunately for you not what we were talking about. If you’d like to concede that you are babbling nonsense in this discussion we can end it and start another one about policement where your point might be relevant.

sigh You’re right, I wasn’t talking about police before. :roll:

I did however also mention security guards, so let me address them too. I’d also say there’s also quite a distinction between underpaid untrained rent-a-cops and mercenaries with the afore mentioned training. I’d also say that security guards are less likely than mercenaries to shoot a civilian with no good reason. Oh, and I’ve never seen security guards packing automatic weapons.

Oh yes, clearly security guards and mercenaries have no relavent distinction. Why, I’m sure it’s normal for security guards to be highly paid experts fresh out of Iraq.

Security Guards != Policemen != Mercenaries

No, you weren’t, but I’m feeling charitable so we’ll expand the discussion to include that topic. Mercenaries are not suitable as police. If you have any links of them making arrests or enforcing the law or doing cop things I’ll be glad to join you in deploring them. For the moment, I’m just working with the stories we have so far which describe mercs as private security guards.

I’d rather have somebody who is calm under fire with real combat experience guarding against looters than a local boy who is seriously freaked out by everything that’s been happening. Remember, some of the horrible video we’ve seen out of NO has been some fairly nasty abuses of authority by local cops.

What the hell does the “fresh out of Iraq” have to do with anything? I’m sure it’s atypical to use mercenaries as domestic security guards, but then raping and looting in a major US city is also pretty seriously atypical. So like I’ve said repeatedly, as long as they play by the rules for security guards I don’t see a problem.

Jasper- Do you believe the private security industry sprung up fully formed immediately after we invaded Iraq?

Also, could you define mercenary?

Cause I said they did, or something