Vampyr - From the Remember Me devs

Thank you…

There are some ‘interesting’ people that frequent this forum, I get the impression they don’t get out much past a PC and I sometimes have to read their paragraphs twice to remember that. :-)

D:

Tonight’s the night , someone is gonna die.

I love how you get to lecture citizens for being unethical, while at the same time offering them medicine so their blood will be of the best quality when you return to murder them. :)

Well that second image certainly told me a lot! :)

Is it unethical to feed cattle? :)

Pfft, some of us never return to murder them, so we can be as preachy as we want! (We’ll just forget about all those vampire hunters wandering the streets trying to help the city)

I just need to figure out how to switch weapons in combat first…

The blood explosion skill does a ton of damage, so i’ve been leaning on that. Now that i’m in Chapter 2 the game is opening up a bit more and i feel less uncertain about it. Still feel the opening act in Remember Me was better. Honestly both games took just about the exact same opening sequence for their setting.

Once they’re equipped, you can switch between main and secondary weapons by hitting left on the d-pad.

Thanks!

Literally the hardest thing for me in games now is keeping up with the myriad control schemes when i switch games. I can only barely play fast games now because in combat i forget which button does what… eek.

Pardon my digression but as a baseball fan this always bothers me. AAA is good but not fully polished and ready.

I think it’s great switching between Vampyr and The Surge and watching my characters flail around like a spastic toddler caught in a spiderweb.

Yeah, I’m not very familiar with baseball, so that’s new to me.

It’s possible that baseball creates it’s very own, specific league-based context for “AAA” that applies specifically there to league tiers based on a historical reason, but has an origin not related to the context in which AAA is used elsewhere.

Before the American and National Leagues expanded out west (or perhaps pre-WWII) the idea of “The Major Leagues” wasn’t quite as well defined. A bunch of reasons including greater regional identity, less travel,the occasional upstart new leagues, the Negro Leagues, and the reserve clause (that tied players to the big leagues instead of feeder minor league teams to the big leagues) served to make regional teams and leagues (for example the PCL) the bigerg deal instead of the American and National league teams off in the NE and old Midwest.

At the very minimum AAA and “the big leagues” were closer together in meaning the top level. I have no idea why the game industry picked up on the “AAA is best” meaning since I’ve never really seen that used anywhere else. Now that the AAA teams are explicitly below the AL/NL teams it sounds strange to my ears although I have to admit that it has a sort of neat mental connection to power creep in that I keep expecting some company to say they have come out with AAAA graphics.

Some of us are natural carnivores both IRL and in-games so as a foil to your soy based diet / pacifism I present to you, White Chapel 2.0

There were a few good souls here who probably deserved more but virtually every citizen in the district either had a shady past or simply wished to die anyways. Who am I to deny someone a request?

Suffice to say, the combat portion of the game is a bit of a triviality now. But I did complete every quest line before I purged the entire region.

Though I do find it rather comical that -nobody- says a word about Jonathan looking so ahh, how do I say? Well-fed… LOL

D:

Whoa , the main character’s face and eyes change is you kill a lot of people!

They should have made it so that you could craft this later in game.

SY355

You are bad and you should feel bad!

I’m going to try a no-kill playthrough. I imagine lots of guns and sneaking will be involved.

Not that i’m, like, murdervamping thugs and vamps left and right.

Or you can just pause the game to monkey around with your inventory. This is one of those games where you’re always carrying every single weapon, spell, and ability available to you, so long as you’re willing to go to the trouble of ducking into your inventory screen.

-Tom

I tried the game out a bit last night to put the gpu I have on loan through its paces and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised at how responsive combat feels. I expected a janky horror show from mid 2000s based on what I’ve read here but it couldn’t be further from that.

Running animation on the other hand…oh boy. I guess we know where that stake went. At least running doesn’t have the godawful inertia that has become so popular lately.

There’s a cooldown for changing abilities, though

For changing abilities or for using abilities? I think it just won’t let you swap out abilities while they’re on their regular cooldown, so you have to “pay” a certain amount of downtime. I don’t think it impacts the fact that the developers didn’t care one whit that you can go into the pause screen and swap out your loadout whenever you feel like it. Need some blood? Hold on a sec while you equip something that drains blood! Want a little stun? Pause to muck around with inventory. Feel like using one of your guns that has ammo left over? No problem except for the downtime in the middle of a pitched battle while you slide the cursor around the grid to get that other gun!

Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and Dishonored, you get a giant box of gameplay tools, but it’s a pain in the ass if you want to use something that doesn’t fit into one of the quickchange slots. In other words, anyone who wants to min-max the half-assed interface gets an advantage because the developers couldn’t be bothered to make it part of the design.

I’m intrigued by Vampyr for a lot of reasons, but Dontnod is totally out of their element with the action/open-world part of this game.

-Tom