Vehicle Explosion at Canada Border

Current reporting indicates no serious injuries to anyone except those who may have been in the car that exploded.

Which way was it going? The BBC seems to say US to Canada, CNN says Canada to US. The CNN story also says the car blew up between the initial checkpoint and the secondary search area, where it had presumably been directed. Which is suggestive.

That story makes it sound like an accident, though you don’t usually get car explosions in accidents outside of the movie world.

I already typed and deleted one “don’t we already have a Tesla thread?” comment because I decided it might be insensitive, please don’t set me up like this.

Authorities have released this picture of a man wanted for questioning.

When I’ve crossed the Canadian/US border, the inspections happen on the side you’re crossing into, so presumably it was from Canada to the US.

Some of the reporting I’ve seen claims that no explosives were found in the vehicle wreckage by the preliminary investigation, and that the explosion was likely the result of the vehicle hitting a concrete pillar after briefly going airborne.

On the one hand, I really want to make a “The Long Kiss Goodnight” reference.

On the other hand, there are people who were killed, and it was probably terrifying, and some of the witnesses might have just lived through their worst day ever.

So I’ll just say that I hope Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson and everyone else are okay.

Bosch assures me car explosions only happen in movies

Mythbusters argues the same, fwiw. That sure looked like an explosion to me, and honestly I wouldn’t put it past the government to at least “delay” findings of explosives until after the busiest day of shopping of the year.

From the coverage I linked to earlier:

Rickie Wilson, a 65-year-old tour guide, said he saw the speeding car leave the ground as it crashed. "It hit a concrete barrier and went up,” he said. “It came down and hit an inspection booth. Then there was a lot of black smoke, and then a fire.” He added: "I know I sound crazy, but the car was in the air. And not three or four feet in the air. It was like something you see in Hollywood.”

I wonder if there is camera footage.

So it sounds like the occupants of the car were told to pull ahead to a follow-up search area and they decided they did NOT want to participate in that and went zooming at a high rate of speed, moved to avoid a slower moving vehicle in front of them and struck an embankment and flipped into the air before hitting a pillar at another inspection station.

There is.

Apparently the report that it was a “Terrorist attack” came from Fox News originally. Their reporter has now rescinded that report and claimed she was repeating information she’d been given.

No other media outlets got that information from any of their sources at the scene. (Or if they did, they didn’t find them credible enough to give their own first-hand reportage of same.)

Right wing loserheads are rooting for something bad to happen to the US so they can blame Biden. Skary Lake immediately had to post this. It’s got both a grammar error and misspelling, and it’s somewhat Freudian.

Remember when after every mass shooting we are told to “wait for more information before commenting?”

But… if it was an open border, why was the car stopped? (And, ugh, I hope that was just a misspelled word, or maybe Kari Lake is so awful that her autocorrect is worse.)

I believe that at high enough rates of speed, cars can do extremely unlikely things, and that while gasoline doesn’t explode, it can very rapidly spread while burning. Maybe this was a foiled attack (thanks, Obama!) or maybe someone hit the gas pedal when they thought they were slamming on the brake.

I mean, it could be there were explosives, or something volatile, that they didn’t mean to blow up just then.

They would check my ID when I crossed into the USA from Canada. Even pre 9/11.

Here’s a “better” view of it; it was a VERY high rate of speed
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1727455180361286098?