Victoria 3

Clearly mission trees have been a hugely successful feature in EU4, how many years was it after release before they added those? And then how many years after that was it before they made any actual good mission trees?

It’s a trick question, cause they only made good mission trees for Imperator.

I hate the Imperator mission trees. Hate is maybe a strong word but they never clicked for me.

Hey, this is a period appropriate (especially if they eventually implement some of the additional ideas at the end of the diary) way to specialize countries while also giving a boost to the importance of prestige.

That all sounds great! I might have to take this for a spin again in 1.5.

I keep thinking about checking out the France stuff but then it seems silly to start a new game before 1.5 or at least a stable beta of 1.5.

1.4 seems like it will be a decent update but since they are putting out the 1.5 beta right when 1.4 comes out it feels like a situation where I can just wait 3-4 weeks for the beta to stabilize and just jump to a version with a whole bunch of extra goodies.

And oh hey, that’s as pretty significant military rework for 1.5 too which also seems to set the table for even more military improvements in future updates. Plus the comments mentioned that they are looking to have IGs have opinions on foreign policy for the Spheres of Influence DLC. That’s one of the biggest things I’ve been waiting for.

All the changes seem logical, but devs giving up on dynamically moving frontlines sounds like… giving up. It might have had unsolvable issues, but it sure was cool.

I think to make it work they would have needed to use a system like the new formations where troops had a physical location combined with better AI. Then if a pocket formed it wouldn’t necessarily have to split a new front but the troops trapped inside would be screwed.

Who knows, maybe they’ll go far enough down the discrete formations path that they’ll just kind of solve some of that and be able to revisit it. Might just depend on how long they continue working on the game. I think the demand for interesting warfare will mean they spend more time on that component than they really wanted to.

The open beta for v1.5.0 has gone live. Changelog and all that jazz below.

They are continuing to push a lot of changes for 1.5. Haven’t played in a while, but really liking where this seems to be going:

For some reason this iteration has clicked for me where the other 2 never have. Really looking forward to 1.5 but I’ll wait until it’s out of the oven.

I’ve been waiting for 1.5 to jump back in again. Based on where update 1 of the beta is at I think I’ll still be happier holding off until either update 2 or until the actual release version of the 1.5 patch. Too much of the military stuff is either unimplemented or too in flux for me to have an enjoyable experience.

I also hate that they teased they plan to do a bunch more with Companies in the Spheres of Influence expansion that is supposed to come out early next year because they need some of the new(unannounced) features from the expansion patch. Don’t get me excited for the next update before this one is actually out! Also I bet it has to do with foreign investment. Shares in foreign companies, perhaps?

They’re targeting 1.5 for November? Dang, this is going to be one hell of an update. Looking forward to jumping back in once it’s out,I haven’t played since release (and I liked that version well enough).

I’ve really struggled to get into Victoria 3. Whenever I read about the game it sounds terrific, but playing it I don’t feel any pull. Most of the game time seems to be in building stuff, but buildings and production chains and so on is not why I play Pdox GSGs and it just makes me want to go back to map painting in EU4, wargaming in HOI4, or roleplaying in CK3.

Will try it again with 1.5 or the Sphere of Influence expansion, especially as I bought the ultimate grande moneybags edition at launch.

Yeah, it really does not sound like the game for you, then.

I never expected a primarily military or map painting game. But the connection between politics and economy could be more compelling. The building in-game necessarily has winners and losers (domestic and international) and the allies and opposition that result feel quite muted and delayed – if it happens at all.

Probably wait for Spheres of Influence if you’re getting that for free anyway. Hopefully the improved politics and diplomacy in that will start to feel like more of a hook for you too. And they’ll keep making Companies more featured which will hopefully give more personality to the economic side of things.

Right, there is so much possibility in some really awesome stuff happening by just better connecting existing systems.

Sphere of Influence expansion is not 1.5, it’s next year.

So playing as the Two Sicilies I needed to boost my Prestige. I thought successfully completing the Congo Expedition mission would do just that, but nothing. I also would have thought it would lower the opposition to the laws allowing for colonization. Again, nothing.

Am I wrong or is this buggy?

Successful expeditions do provide you with a bit of prestige (for a while); it’s also possible to lose some along the way with some events. If you find something displaying your prestige and hover over it you should get a breakdown of how it’s being calculated.

I don’t think expeditions have any effect on support for colonization laws. For that you’ll need to change the demographics of your country, increasing jobs and/or empowering factions which are likely to support the law. As I recall, farmers hate colonization, so working to industrialise will help replace them with labourers, capitalists and others who are fine with it.