Videos about Video Games (that are interesting)

I’ve played every Far Cry except 4, which I have to fix at some point.

2 is my favorite of all of them, and still worth playing.

Thanks. I’m totally out of the loop on FC2.
I’m guessing there must be a mod that addresses some of the issues that game had on release. I’ll have to check into it. Such as continually re-spawning enemies at checkpoints, or something like that. And weapon jamming would bother me quite a bit if I couldn’t disable it or turn it down quite a bit.

That is a great preview. $7 to rent it digitally, $19 for the blu ray. I don’t know much about Mother 3, so I am very tempted by that blu ray.

I believe this is the one I used for my playthrough.

Or maybe this one.

It’s been a minute.

Those both look promising. Thanks.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was Vanilla Plus, but I’m not 100%.

Insert Coin is a 2020 documentary about Williams / Bally / Midway company history, the developers, and their 80’s-90’s era arcade games: Defender, Narc, Smash TV, Terminator 2, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Revolution X, War Gods, Cruis’n USA, and The Grid.

I really liked this video discussing the obsession with bad games - e.g. how angrily dunking on bad games can give more engagement than coverage of good games.

Angrily dunking on anything gets more engagement than not in general. It’s the way most social media algorithms work.

Why do you think people went ravenous for the day before?

People love a disaster.

Thanks Bobtree. I really appreciate that this video was made with lots of labelling and subtitles, so I didn’t need sound on at work to watch it and watched it in the corner of one of my screens. Thanks!

Must be tough to be Blue Scuti and to peak so young. Way to go Bluey. An example to us all.

Ah, NES Tetris, my favorite (between it, PC, and GameBoy I guess). My memory is that I made it to level 18 or 19. “Rolling” is a fascinating input technique.

I know Tim Cain’s channel has been brought up a few times in this thread, because he has put out a bunch of really interesting videos talking about his experiences making some really cool games. Just today he made this one specifically about questions he’s gotten from viewers that he either can’t or won’t answer and one in particular stood out: he’s been asked quite a few times about releasing the source code for Arcanum, and replies here that he can’t, because even though he owns the source code he is still under contract to the publisher and that contract specifies he can’t release the code or patch it without their consent. Even though the original publisher no longer exists, the rights have transferred to its new owner, and the contract is still binding.

To be fair: that’s pretty standard and also applies to the majority of old games? Rights don’t revert back when a company goes bankrupt or gets acquired unless you have enough clout for such clause to be included in a publishing contract.

So if the company doesn’t exist anymore, who will sue Tim for damages if he releases the source code?

My surprise is more related to the fact that Tim Cain owns the source code of a game but that doesn’t translate to control of that code. You may well be right that this is a common thing regarding video game ownership, I have no knowledge in that area.

Whoever owns publishing rights to Arcanum, presumably.

No One Lives Forever enters the conversation.