Vigor - I guess Bohemia gave up on ever finishing DayZ

Vigor will launch with a paid Premium Founders Pack this year, then go to a F2P model later.

They used the Unreal Engine this time, which is good because their engine is apparently just too much trouble to get on console. On the other hand, talk about some Johnny-come-lately stuff…

Afaik they are planning to release DayZ this year and it has made a big strides in dev. I was surprised to see a second game like that from them.

edit - watching that video, Bohemia WTF are you doing. Argo was such a shameless cashgrab and they even got some EU funds for it iirc. I remember Dan Vávra commenting on it on facebook how much he “loves” subsidies like this, when your much wealthier competitor gets picked as a winner by EU bureaucrat for a game that is a pure cashgrab, while he spent half a decade and all his savings making a game about our history. Of course he never asked for any subsidies because of the principle of it (I agree with him, it is all corruptive bullshit that should be discontinued). Bohemia got 40 million CZK for Argo (around 2 million USD). Disgusting.

Of course, some people have the viewpoint of “dumb who gives, dumber who doesn’t take”. Fuuuck them.

Version 0.9 will be out later this month, while the full F2P release will be later this summer.

So, Vigor (v0.9) has a free weekend at the moment. Obviously, it will be f2p later (this month?), but anyone can check it out right now.

It has improved a lot since I tried it last year, but it’s still a bit clunky and laggy. But the main issue is the lack of PvE. The other games in this genre, like Escape from Tarkov and Hunt: Showdown, has PvE as the main component, with PvP as an additional factor to increase tension (not to mention the grand daddy of them all, The Division’s Dark Zone). But this game has only PvP, so it misses a major component that makes these games fun.

Well, if it doesn’t have PvE I would say it isn’t really in the same genre as Escape from Tarkov or Hunt. More in the genre of Pubg?

edit: I’m watching some trailers, and the vibe it gives it’s being second attempt of doing a Dayz, but this time not making the big mistake of DayZ: putting zombies in the first place. Because it was clealry the biggest headache for them, having hundreds zombies in a mp game.

No, the core game mechanics are exactly like EFT, except it lacks PvE. You enter an area, loot, and extract (maybe around 30 minutes rounds, but can be 5 or 60 depending on when you choose to extract). And if you die, you lose the loot and what you brought with you. So it’s not like PUBG at all. The DayZ comparison only makes sense if you think EFT is like DayZ.

Where this differs from the other games in this genre, is that you have your own shelter which you can improve, and craft weapons, ammo, etc., and where you select the area you want to enter (basically matchmake). And it also has a shooting range where you can practice with your weapons. But in practice it’s just a 3D menu compared to what you do between rounds, in say, Hunt: Showdown.

definitely just like EFT and Hunt, but without PvE. Been streaming the free weekend and having fun despite the clunkiness which pisses me off a lot when it directly kills me. Controls are still miles above Hunt, probably because Hunt was Mouse/Keyboard primary focus.

Always surprised how bad gamepad controls can be when so many companies get it so right. CoD, Overwatch, Apex, R6:siege are all smooth as silk and responsive then Hunt and Vigor are complete shit shows with controls.

I’ve been playing this for a couple days now. It’s available on PlayStation. I’ve seen it called Baby’s First Tarkov and maybe that’s true, but it’s just detailed enough to be strategically exciting between rounds and definitely full of terror if you go in kitted out during them. You don’t want to lose your stuff!

The tutorial isn’t bad. It got me all the basics except one major thing, how to switch guns! Hold R1 to bring up the wheel. Once you switch, then you can hit Triangle to quick switch. Same goes for using healing and items. Hold L1 to bring up a Consumables wheel.

It’s only on consoles, which means no hackers! Woohoo! PlayStation is separate from Xbox and Switch which are cross platform.

It is 100% free to play and free to try. I haven’t spent a penny and don’t feel like I have to at all. It’s only a matter of time before one of the really big pubs adds this sort of mode to a Call of Duty or Battlefield, but this game might have a nice niche for awhile. It’s got a special take on this budding genre. All PVP Suits me just fine!

Video of an Encounter from last night…

Unfortunately my buddy’s volume is low so it’s hard to hear without headphones. That’s in the recording from the PlayStation so I think I can fix that for future videos.

The funniest part is the phones… if you pick up a red phone and someone answers, you now have GPS location on that player to 1v1 me bro. My pal Charlie did it by accident, which turns out to be exciting later… :D

Hmm so is this a PVP solely or can you at least cooperate with a buddy?

It’s solo or co-op pvp. You can take up to three Outlanders into an encounter to face up to nine other real players in groups of up to three.

The weapons are super lethal so even as a lone wolf with good movement and awareness, you have a chance against groups of three.

Cool! Downloaded it yesterday so I’ll try it someday soon =)

Haven’t played super recently but I’ve put a ton of time into this from alpha-beta through release on xbox and it has only gotten much better each year.

It’s like a half step away from being something magical IMO. It’s a little disjointed with the Shelter/Encounter mechanics. It needs just a little more to tie it all together, but damn if it isn’t a great time for absolutely free.

I’m streaming this right now if anyone is interested.

I gave this a try because “Baby’s First Tarkov” sounded exactly like something I want to try. I like the gameplay loop and the various systems, but I wish it ran better on either the Switch or the PS4.

It performs better on PS5 but yeah, the 30 fps performance at best is its biggest negative. There is a ton of foliage and it’s a great looking game if a bit understated that way.

Arise ye dead thread!!

I’m awakening this because they have announced they are FINALLY bringing Vigor to PC. It can be wishlisted here:

Vigor on Steam (steampowered.com)

I actually quite enjoy this game, I just don’t enjoy having to play on console and I’ve tried to play on my xbox remotely but it never quite works well for me so I’m excited to finally be able to play locally.

Kinda funny that after 5 years of it being released, they are still doing early access on PC…and you gotta pay…for a free to play game. Bizzare.