Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Oh, yes, if you’ve ever used OTT or the debug tool, be sure to set bitrate to 0 (default).

Will do, thank you!

Surely that’s what fixed ArenjiChaos problem.

Exactly

Do you remember the Oculus exclusive RTS game, Brass Tactics? No?

Well, I’m here to say you don’t remember it for a good reason: it isn’t very good. The first step for making a RTS in VR would be to find a good control scheme and implementation, and they weren’t able to. The main problem is how you move the cursor and how this conflicts with the multi unit selection, making complex orders or being able to do move order in the middle of big groups super hard. It has a weird feature of ‘hold the trigger at half force to be able to move the cursor above other units without selecting them’ as a workaround for the problem, but it’s a pain in the ass to execute.
Then the game itself, which a very run of the mill light RTS in how the combat works, and the expansion system seems flawed to me. You get to capture other sectors of the map, except the extra resources you gain aren’t that useful, the unit cap is lowish and it can’t be increased by capturing other sectors, which is what intuitively I thought it would be.
Finally the campaign is short, once you remove the two tutorials, it’s just 6 levels.

Well I used that OTT tool thingy to set everything to “default” then tried air link. Thing couldn’t even find my PC.

So I turned on Virtual Desktop and did my best run ever in Compound. Love that game so much.

I did turn it back on. Still no joy. Ah well. I’ll let it sit for a spell.

The advice regarding OTT is to reset it to default if you have been using it. If you haven’t used it before, there was no reason to install it! :D

Personally I experimented with it long ago in the early Rift days, and found it made very little difference to the things I played, plus I didn’t need any other features like audio switching and pixel density profiles, so don’t bother using it any more. I just use the official built-in debug tool on the rare occasion I want to play with pixel density or ASW settings.

It does hacky stuff to your PC like play with power profiles, modify USB settings, make registry edits, modify CPU priorities, and who knows what else. I guess it’s handy if you’re trying to eke out every last drop of performance but that minor potential improvement seems more trouble that it’s worth to me.

Whooooops

So I forgot I owned this:

So I loaded it up today. VERY fun. As janky as the pancake version but that’s part of its charm.

Tried this a bit last night on air link and it was great. I’m about 7 levels or so into a bow run. I hope they keep fleshing this out because the basics look pretty promising.

Hah I have never found a bow in the wild as of yet. Nice.

I just used the mutation since I wanted to try it. It’s the only weapon you’ll get so it’s 100% bow once you start it.

Are mutations the things in the vending machine?

Yep, can use them to modify certain things. Like letting you carry 16 guns, or making everything die in one hit (including yourself!)

Well shit I’ll have to try those.

Uh, from not having painting simulators, to now having two of them:

Evochon Legacy added VR controller support to its VR mode. Now it looks as if you can switch between a cursor/point mode and a flight mode. This is GAME CHANGING if it works well. I have to try it soon. If it works well, this’ll be the space sim to beat in VR.

Compatibility may be limited, but the system has been tested with Vive controllers as a functional baseline.

Uh-oh. This is a pretty obsolete control to be using as a baseline. :)

Let us know how it is on the touch controllers!

Apparently the controls can be edited with a simple text file so hopefully they can be tweaked if it’s bad.