Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

[url]https://www.gameinformer.com/review/resident-evil-4-vr/breathing-new-life-into-a-familiar-feeling[/url]
[url]Resident Evil 4 in VR shouldn’t work — but somehow it does - The Verge
[url]https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-4-vr-review[/url]

Overall it seems they did a fine job, the weapon handling is properly redone for VR… but it’s still not a native VR game, it’s not a full remake in VR.
For example, why still have the roundhouse kick in third person? It’s super clunky. why not replace that with a strong horizontal swing with the player’s arm? Just detect when the player does the gesture with his arms and then activate the same reaction to the close zombies, it would serve the same function, damaging and pushing back the zombies close to you.

RE4VR isn’t the only VR game being released on Quest this week…

I’m not so sure on this one.

I’d love it to be great, but… it all looks kind of pedestrian. Like you’re mainly sliding your hand around without a lot of finger involvement.

Obviously the hand tracking can’t do individual notes like a guitar controller can, so (from all the previews I’ve seen) you get a kind of lame ‘freestyle’ section during songs where you just waggle your fingers as fast as you can.

I want to see their equivalent of ‘Through the Fire and Flames’!

new device!

1990€ (+taxes)
https://uploadvr.com/varjo-aero-announced/
https://varjo.com/products/aero/

Varjo Aero

Dual mini-LED displays with 35 ppd peak fidelity, 150 nits of brightness, and a 115° field of view for stunning edge-to-edge clarity.
Crystal-clear, variable resolution, aspheric lenses offering a massive step-up in visual fidelity over consumer-grade Fresnel optics.
Automatic IPD adjustment and ultra-fast, built-in eye-tracking at 200 Hz for a tailored, optimal experience to every user, every time.
Premium lightweight comfort with a 3-point precision fit headband, active cooling, and optimized ergonomics for long-duration usage.
Get the ultimate experience of SteamVR content including Microsoft Flight Simulator, and excel with professional 3D software such as Gravity Sketch and KeyVR.
No annual software subscription but full access to Varjo Base software updates, including a high-definition virtual desktop with Varjo Workspace.

Weight 717g

So 1990€ + 21% tax, + 159€x2 for two base stations, + 299€ for 2 Knuckles would be a cool 3000€ price tag if I wanted to buy one.
Hah hah…

Yeah; nice res, and eye-tracking, and I’d be keen to see the difference in the lenses.

But other than that… too expensive for what it delivers. May be good for someone who already has all the other SteamVR stuff you need.

Unplugged is pretty cool guys. It works pretty much as advertised and has more polish than I expected. That said, the hand tracking can still sometimes be weird (though I still love hand tracking with VR).

Also, if you play it, prepare yourself for some super cheesy FMV tutorials. You have been warned!

There are some other new games, also released yesterday:

This video is cool

Leak of the new Quest

Wow. I’m not sure about those dinky sliders in place of analogue sticks but cameras on the controllers is fantastic - assuming they’re not draining the battery life too much. I guess they save battery by not powering LEDs but you’d think cameras take more juice.

When I read that somehow I got “screens on the controllers” and not cameras, and was wracking my brain how that wasn’t a very stupid thing.

:D

It’s pretty good having the controllers handling their own tracking, if it works well. I don’t think any other device has tried that yet.

And it frees up the headset to track only your hands, meaning it can do controllers and hands simultaneously.

I’m pretty sure it will have normal sticks, that wasn’t a finished device photo.

I hope so, but are you sure? I thought that was a leaked video they were actually going to show at Connect in a couple days, so it seems weird to include non-finished hardware. Or is it some internal-only thing?

Ohhh Supernatural is adding a boxing mode! Yay!!!

Anyone try Shadowgate VR: The Mines of Mythrok on Oculus Quest | Oculus yet? It seems like it has promiss.

Reminder of the live conference from Facebook, today at 10.00am pst
https://www.facebookconnect.com/en-us/

I bought Thrill of the Fight a couple days ago and I really enjoy it. Feels like a proper simulator, being able to literally dance around your opponent and hit him from the side or back of the head. I’ve been playing on easy so far so they aren’t that hard, but regardless, I’m winded and sweaty after a fight with enough rounds and feel it in my shoulders the next few days. I tried the Creed demo and while the graphics were more impressive, the stupid stamina gimmick and silliness about staying in sync with the character and running and whatever really made it feel gamey (but I guess I can see it being a good alternative if you don’t have the space for TofF. What’s interesting is that I’ve never been a fan of boxing or boxing games in general, but actually doing it makes all the difference… the same way I don’t follow sports at all, but love playing them IRL.