Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Thanks! I picked it up, my kid really wanted a boxing game. Hell of a workout! Really great tracking and no arcady weak points or health bars that I could see.

Anyone have opinions on whether to get quest vs steam for Blade and Sorcery, I expect You to Die 1 and 2?

Let’s see. IEytD1/2, there won’t be big graphical differences between versions. On the other hand, they are seated experiences and they aren’t replayable, so I just would buy them wherever is cheaper.

Blade and Sorcery, there is an important difference in graphics, and I read the framerate is also iffy on Quest. Mods also will be easier to handle on pc, so I would pick the pc version. That said, it’s a game to play without cables, so make sure to use AirLink or VD.

If any new Quest owner is here after buying it on Christmas, pm me for a referral. I still haven’t got any from QT3.

Everslaught has an update with new stuff

New stuff for InDeath

Quest 2 is doing it pretty well on Chistmas. It reached no 1 in the free apps category in both iOS and Android stores

And we have tweets like this

Thanks!

Edit: Once again I fell for the Occulus store’s stupid sale timer in game listings that said I had a day left when I really only had an hour left. I don’t know why it does that. For some reason when the timer rolls over to less than an hour it adds a day back on. So, i guess Steam it is for anything that I buy.

Thank you. Got my credit and used it to pick up RE4.

Steam VR best seller list of the year

IMO, PC VR is very stale. Most best sellers are games from 2-3 years ago. They also released less VR games in 2021 than in 2020 and 2019. It’s kind of ironic, but one of the main culprits is the new generation of headsets. Their screens have improved at a higher pace than gpus, and gpus price are a historic high which doesn’t help.

For example, in 2016 a gtx 970 was the requirement to play in ‘High’, as per SteamVR benchmark hardware checker.
This made sense, as the resolution of headsets then (Rift, Vive) was 1080 × 1200 = 1296000 pixels.
But now we have better headsets. A Quest 2 is 1832 × 1920 = 3517440 pixels. 2.7 times more.
A G2 is 2160 × 2160 = 4665600 pixels. 3.6 times more.

They need way more gpu horsepower. I wouldn’t buy a headset for PC VR if I had less than a rtx 2080.
It’s around… 7.8-8% of the total market, as per Steam hardware survey.
I know I couldn’t play well games like Into the Radius, Star Wars Squadron, or Risk of Rain 2 VR mod, with my gtx 1080 and Quest 2.

Sadly, it’s inevitable with Oculus abandoning native PC VR and just dominating the headset market with the Quest. You’d be insane to develop a big budget PC VR only game right now. I also don’t understand why there are so many WMR headsets being released. I can’t imagine most of them are even cracking six figures, or maybe even five.

I’ve used Airlink a bunch of times and it no longer works. I have it turned on in the PC app. I try to connect in the headset and it sees the PC. I try to connect and it can’t. The only thing that has changed is I got a new Orbi mesh system to replace my older non-wifi 6 Orbi. After it connects and fails, it doesn’t let me try to connect again until I restart the headset. I tried with my pc connected wired and wirelessly.

Any ideas?

For my experience, Virtual Desktop has been the best way to connect to my PC.

After rebooting my PC and headset a couple times I was finally able to connect. other times it just worked - not sure why I had issues this time.

I’ve had Airlink just randomly drop out from time to time. Seemed to go in phases. Mostly it was fine but then I’d have a bad session and give up.

I could swear the episodes of Space Explorers costed money before, but now they are all free. You may want to check it out.

I’ve been playing Vader Immortal for 15-20 minutes a day, trying to acclimate myself to VR. It saves every few minutes at checkpoints, apparently. I’m still amazed by it!

Today I tried sitting in a swiveling chair, as I’ve been a little worried about losing my balance while standing. I felt better sitting — less woozy after. The only downside is that the game expected me to be taller, so I had to reach up to operate some controls. I wonder if I could fix that by submerging my Guardian below the floor. Bad idea?

I had the same problem with Blade and Sorcery - I was short and had to reach up to grab a sword from the rack. Then I realized that my ground level was not set properly. I think I had to touch the floor to reset it. That really helped me!

Good to know! I’ll try it. Thanks.

My random comments:

• This ain’t no Half-life: Alyx. Graphics are so 15 years ago.
  • That said, the interactivity is pretty high. You can open doors, drawers and cabinets. Grabbing weapons from your body is pretty satisfying. Shooting and aiming feels good. The typewriter is neat. HL:A is more interactive, but it’s also designed ground up for VR.
  • I’m playing full immersion: smooth walking, smooth turning, etc. No nausea and I can play for an hour with no issues. During walking, the scene vignettes (darkens at the edges) which I think is supposed to help.
  • This is probably the biggest game for Quest, but I don’t know… is it worth $40? Maybe not.

In other news, the Lady Gaga song pack for Beat Saber is really boring and you shouldn’t buy it. Pop songs don’t lend themselves well to Beat Saber. The verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure just feels unnecessarily repetitive, and 4-5 minutes is generally too long for that kind of structure. (Oddly enough, this really highlights the unconventional song structures that Billie Eilish tends to use–her song pack is really good.) Not only that, but the Gaga tracks in particular have unimaginative patterns.

Beat Saber really needs a jazz pack or a jam band or guitar blues pack. Something where the songs evolve and extemporize. The dubstep packs (Skrillex, Monstercat, Rocket League) do this, but it would be nice to have a different style. The best parts of Guitar Hero were the solos. I think I might be done buying new packs just because they exist. I’ll wait for something interesting.

I finished RE4VR just now. 14 hours, 20 minutes.
And graphically speaking, I’d say it’s one of the best games in Quest, lol.

I’m about 4 hours into WalkingDead Saints Sinners… holy crap this is intense zombie killing. I’m being super paranoid about using ammo, so I’ve used up a couple of shivs until I could craft the army knife, a much more satisfying blade. I once came across a hatchet, and boy, does that extra reach count when hitting a zombie running straight for you, since a miss with the dinky knives means they’re nomming on you and the rest can catch up. I did have one raid where things went pear shaped on the way back to the boat and I had to pull out my six shooter and plug a few… nothing worse than reloading a pistol bullet by bullet when the hoard is coming… seriously stressful stuff when they feel so tangible and you’re so weak and always cardiovascularly challenged, apparently, that stamina meter is brutal.

It took me a week, as I’ve been limiting my play sessions with the Oculus Quest 2, but I finally got through the very short first episode of Vader Immortal. It’s more theme park than game, but what an experience! The cavernous excavation site might have been my favorite location. The light saber battles were fun too, and the interaction with other characters was remarkable. They stride right up to you, lol.

I also started Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge. This seems more like a game, with quests, an inventory, and a more game-like UI. On the other hand, the opening scene isn’t as interesting as Vader. On the other other hand, I found myself surprisingly comfortable in this game, using teleportation. Also, I like that it has an explicit option for seated play. I seem to be less prone to discomfort if I sit.

I also poked around in Wander a bit. It’s sort of a 3D Google Maps, right? I looked at my old neighborhood, visited Alice Springs, Australia (which I visited in RL 30 years ago), and wandered around the Aussie outback. Good stuff.

I do seem to be getting used to the Oculus. Until today I hadn’t played more than 20 minutes at a time. Today I felt good after 20 minutes, so I kept going for another 20 minutes. I might be a tad woozy now, but nothing terrible. I do think I’ll continue to limit my play-time to get used to it.