Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

I mean solely in that mode, so only able to act as displays / motion sensors.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. Unless I’m misunderstanding you, that’s exactly what the Rift was, and it’s what the Index and Reverb G2 and Varjo Areo are. It’s what PSVR 1 and 2 are. They don’t do any meaningful on-board processing (except maybe in some cases of motion data).

Yep. Via an app like Virtual Desktop, they act as a monitor or multiple monitors.

Here you go:

Thanks! I’ll probably pick that up.

It says now including The Mercenaries. What is that? I know, I should google, but I’m lazy and someone here can tell me yay or nay on if it’s any good.

It’s a horde mode for re4

Got another 30% off coupon from Meta this morning… I like this trend, even if it makes me spend money… I bought Bonelab and Moss2 last coupons back and I haven’t even had a chance to try them, as I’m still working my way through the Doom3 Dr.Beef VR mod (which is a decently long game, turns out! I had stalled one third in, back in the day, glad I did, since this is such a fantastic romp in VR).

Now I have to figure out what I want. Have to say, there’s no lack of choice on the platform, despite not having triple AAA devs. I have about 25 games in my wishlist.

Report back on Bonelab, I’m intrigued by the series but haven’t jumped in yet.

I have to try that mod, given how much I like the game.

Just bought it. Thanks! Nice to save $50, since I was going to get it anyhow. I might poop in my pants if I play RE4 on it, though.

I haven’t tried it but it sounds like RE4 VR is really great. And it includes Beat Saber too. Enjoy!

I’ll try it and let you know if I experience a UFR (Unexpected Fecal Release).

I’ve given Bonelab about three hours… it’s a bizarre game, kind of a mashup of HalfLife vibe and Sinners & Saints mechanics, with the parkour and climbing of some other titles. Kind of surreal setting, no real story. After a two hour intro, I’m at a ‘main menu’ area where you can do some generic testing of the systems… I assume the ‘story’ mode continues once I’ve finished mucking around here.

But overall, I feel like I’ve had better experiences in other places. I know that the physics system is a draw, but rigging of the entire player body is clumsy when climbing and jumping, and they make you do a fair bit of it, and I don’t love the platforming style. The gunplay feels good, but so far it’s not in service of much.

I dunno, maybe it gets more engaging, but so far I’m lukewarm.

I played the new Myst course for Walkabout Mini Golf last night. Great stuff, as always. The course gimmick consists mainly of floor-plates you need to roll your ball over to trigger contraptions like pivoting ramps or guardrails that raise and lower. And all that immersive 90s nostalgia! It’s like taking a trip down imaginary memory lane.

Recommendations for some apps/games/experiences that would be good for kids in the 10-12 range?

I would think Beat Saber, Walkabout Mini Golf off the top of my head. Maybe Moss (though I never played it). Looks cute and cool.

Bait! is pretty cool

…it’s a fishing game with fantastical elements

Mission ISS is free for a cool in orbit experience.

My kids like Walkabout golf… The Reef was enjoyed for a good hour between them. I expect the Job simulators would do well, but I haven’t picked them up. I’ve been thinking since my daughter likes the Sims games and Animal Crossing, that Raccoon Lagoon looks like her jam. My son loves Open Brush.

Walkabout Mini Golf is my favorite VR game but mostly because we play it multiplayer as a weekly social event. Really fun though and the courses have really gotten better over time with the DLC. Clash of Cooks, Loco Dojo, Catan, and Cook Out fit the MP mold too, though you’d need a second Quest (which I highly recommend too, if they really get into it).

If you or your girls like puzzles, the ‘I Expect You to Die’ games (1 and 2) are excellent. Basically a spoof on James Bond, where you’re placed in a scenario and have to escape (stationary, you can sit or stand). The Room is also great for that, though it’s a bit more serious. It has some violence but more cartoony stuff.

Rhythm game-wise, either Beat Saber or Pistol Whip are great. Pistol Whip obviously involves guns and shooting though.

Moss and Moss 2 are fun 3rd person games where you control a mouse protagonist. Really neat to see the VR effect with a platform type game.

My girls like Job & Vacation Simulator as a fun toybox to kind of play around in. Cosmonious High is by the same maker and is supposed to be fun in the same vein. Startenders is another one in the genre but you’re working as a space bartender while you uncover some sort of conspiracy. Raccoon Lagoon is a fun little Animal Crossing type game that fits in here too.

Real VR Fishing is one of the better looking VR games & it’s a nice peaceful relaxing take on the genre.

Demeo is an excellent tabletop board game that I think has pass-the-quest gameplay for local MP.

For action RPG type stuff, Until You Fall is a great 1st person melee roguelike. Or In Death: Unchained but might not be better for you instead of them.

Traffic Jams was a fun cartoony game where you work as a traffic cop, sort of.

For shooters, Swarm is a heck of a lot of fun and somehow doesn’t cause motion sickness. Like Spider-man crossed with a bullet hell (more of a heck here) shooter.

Vermillion is a neat painting tool which lets you basically create digital paintings like you would on a regular canvas.