Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Oh, you came here 10 mins before me!

https://www.uploadvr.com/quest-3-review/

https://www.theverge.com/23906313/meta-quest-3-review-vr-mixed-reality-headset

Mine arrives in a couple hours, apparently!

Remember to use referral links to buy games. Where are mine? I thought I posted them time ago, I can’t find them…

Ok ,here

For device referrals, to use before you register your device. I don’t know if it works if you had already an account wtih the Quest 2? I only tried for people new to the ecosystem.
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/TurinTurambar/
We both get 30$/€ for it.

25% off discount:

Apps
Virtual Desktop
Vermillion
Brink Traveler

Strategy
Deisim
Demeo
Gadgeteer
Spacefolk City

Puzzle
Pathcraft
Puzzling Places
Angry Birds VR
Shadow Point
We are One

Adventure
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Vacation Simulator
Moss Book 2
Mare
Red Matter 2
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Virtual Virtual Reality
Lone Echo - pc!
Edge of Nowhere - pc!
The 7th Guest VR

Action
Resist
Resident Evil 4
Barbaria
Blaston
STRIDE
Sairento VR : Untethered
InDeath Unchained
Blade & Sorcery: Nomad
Marvel’s Iron Man VR
Ancient Dungeon
Dungeons of Eternity

Action / Stealth
Assassins Creed Nexus
Vampire Justice

RPG
Asgards Wrath PC!

Party
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Rhythm / Music
Beat Saber
Synth Riders
PowerBeatsVR
Smash Drums
Audioshield
Pistol whip

Shooter
The Light Brigade
After the Fall
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge
MothergunShip Forge
Contractors

Sports / Sim
Black Hole Pool
Eleven Table Tennis
Ultrawings 2
Walkabout Mini Golf

Platform
No More Rainbows

edit: also, get acquainted with this site
https://vrdb.app/

I’m going to have to get it. I always try the new Quest. A bit expensive but I will use it a lot for 2-3 months and then nothing. I stopped using the PSVR2 after a few weeks, just hate tethers. In stock at Best Buy…might be hitting that on the way home. I really need to stop being such a tech nerd…now my kid is like me and the wife hates it.

I did forget about the referrals, which is annoying since I had a friend who also bought one and could have scored more credit there! :D

Not my first rodeo so I have most of the apps that I’m interested in there already, but if anyone has link for Resist I am thinking of getting that while it’s on sale for the next 4 days. And Dungeons of Eternity.

Maybe I’ll consider Red Matter 2 and Nomad.

Oh I am looking for anything that can give the experience of Google Earth VR without needing to stream from my PC.

I’ve enjoyed Wander but it’s kind of old and clunky now (and of course only does Street View). I saw something called Wooorlds that looked similar, anyone have experience with that?

Also on AppLab (or SideQuest) there’s this thing called EarthQuest which is cheap and looks like it could be what I’m after.

I have on my face a quest 3. Very early impressions.

Once I figured out how to adjust the eye relief, it fits over my glasses! The quest 2 did not, at least not without mashing my glasses into my face. I’m still going to get some prescription lenses for it, as extending the eye relief surely reduces FOV.

It’s seems much more clear and crisp. I haven’t had a chance to fire up flight sim to see what difference it makes making out little cockpit text but I’m sure it will be a great improvement.

It’s much smaller and it’s form more streamlined. The default strap is pretty good. Not sure I’m going to spring for an elite type strap like was needed for the quest 2.

The pass through video is really good. The hand tracking is also good, and the two combine very nicely. Sadly the quest pc link doesn’t appear to support the hand tracking. I had to get the controllers after connecting to my PC.

Going to fire up MSFS in a bit and see how that goes, but so far it seems like a really nice upgrade.

Edit: After a quick flight it is indeed a nice upgrade in cockpit clarity.

Fits over my glasses on the lowest eye setting, amazingly!

I wonder if the Q3 has the cpu/gpu power for that now, if a PC simple web browser can pull it off these days. I’ve been happy to let my daughter jump around the world, it’s a great learning experience, but it would be more fun to not have to get the PC+airlink running. But alas it would be a Google initiative, and they’re pretty unreliable software producer as far as anything not related to their core business. Not as if $10 a pop instead of free would be much of an incentive for them to get going.

It can do it without issue, it’s just that the Google company that did Google earth isn’t the company that is now, focused on ads and subscriptions.

Also, they aren’t going to help competitor Meta.

EarthQuest is running on the Q2 so it can obviously do it, although based on the videos the detail level seems lower, or slower to stream in than I remember.

It’s very cheap and has a trial so I’ll be checking it out tonight

Did some more playing with the Quest 3 today. I tried the little AR intro game that comes with it. Mapped out my walls, couch, coffee table, etc. and then a little game began where the balls break through in places to some alternate dimension and tribbles gradually flood into your room that you have to shoot to capture. Not sure I’m going to spend a lot of time replaying it, but it was actually a lot of fun and a good demo. I was giggling through it a bit.

Then it was back to flight sim. Did some very minor performance tuning. Other than turning off the incredibly annoying asynchronous spacewarp feature in the oculus debug tool I didn’t change anything from defaults on the quest. I’m running currently is a i9-10850 with a 3080. With a link cable, and running MSFS through steam, on high with TAA I was getting about 42 fps even when tlying through the canals of Venice. Lowest was 36 when I was flying around lake Tahoe would look at the sunset’s reflection off the lake. At medium I was getting about 56 fps.

The one disappointment so far is the battery drain. I haven’t run it down to zero so I can’t say what the life is, but even with a cable connected (USB A to C) it drained significantly while I was flying. A C to C cable delivers more power, so maybe that can keep up, but the .9a a regular usb3 can deliver is clearly inadequate. I notice the provided charger is 3 amp, which is the usb c limit.

You’ll need the appropriate cabled connection to the pc and good wifi to the Quest, but if you can airlink to the headset, and get a battery strap, you’ll be much happier. With a pack the quest2 lasts six to eight hours which for me is over two play sessions, and the tetherfree is so much nicer.

I’ve since tried this EarthQuest 15 minute trial and it wasn’t great unfortunately. All sorts of visual glitches. The interface is rudimentary and annoying to use, compared to how awesome Google Earth VR is.

Ah well, looks like I’m keeping the PC on! :)

I have to say it’s fun watching MRTV becoming a convert in real time, and the passthrough/mixed reality does seem good, but it also seems like the demo is going to be just about the only thing to really take advantage of it for some time. At least until people start making stuff for the Apple headset. So I think I can definitely skip this generation.

Also, it’s kind of amazing how Meta just made the Pro completely, painfully redundant after, what, a year? How would you feel if you’d bought one of those now? Or worse, since they were pitching them as productivity devices, if you’d ordered a company’s worth of them.

The 7th Guest VR game is out, and people seems to like it

Game is now out in both Steam and Meta

and for Quest, my referral for the 25% discount

After The 7th Guest, the Vampire Justice game was released. It happened to be a Dishonored clone, unexpectedly, a first person stealth game with blink power (and others), rats and even the same mini crossbow in your wrist.

And today Assassin Creed Nexus has released. Reviews are fairly positive
Assassin's Creed Nexus VR Review - IGN 7/10
https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/6423/assassin-s-creed-nexus-vr-analisis 9.5/10
Review: Assassin's Creed Nexus VR Stands Proud With The Main Series 4/5
Assassin's Creed Nexus VR review: A return to the glory days | Android Central 4.5/5

Well that’s a nice surprise after the disappointment of Mirage.

Watching that video review, though, it’s weird how bloodless it is given how absurdly gory the mainline games are. Also, it’s a bummer they didn’t do physical parkour a la The Climb.

Well, contrary to what that video was suggesting, it seems you do do physical climbing at least.