Virtual reality: to boldly game like we never gamed before...

Cheaper Quest 2

Wow they released UEVR. Excited to mess with this tomorrow. Happy New Year!
https://uevr.io/

I picked up a 6E router and added that as a dedicated AP for the Q3. I’m running on 5ghz band right now since I’m streaming 2 rooms and 1 floor away, but it was a large improvement over just connecting into my mesh.

Now that I’ve got that squared away I’m tweaking my VR Desktop settings. The posts about that a up thread were helpful, thanks. What framerate setting are those of you with Quest 3 generally running? I saw a screenshot with 80 set above, the app defaults to 72. I’m running a 3080ti with a solid cpu for info.

Also, I started playing Moss Book II. I have missed that little mouse. It’s such a fantastic game, so glad they made a second.

I started AW2 but then punted and restarted AW1, I never moved past the first main area/act and it deserves the attention. Virtual Desktop seems to be working very well even with everything Wifi, I did have one stutter on a glowy portion of the game, but otherwise it’s solid. Thanks @Nightgaunt !

I read a bunch that the combat is a lot better in AW2, to the extent of folks recommending skipping the first. What’s your thought having played both? I haven’t really started either yet.

I haven’t actually played 2 yet, just started it up and stopped. I certainly think the throwing physics/detection could be better in 1, but I haven’t played enough to really opine.

You’re going to get a little spoiled by the PC visuals (even though what our team has done on the standalone headset is unbelievable), but there was a whole rethinking of the combat after AW1 to make it both more satisfying and more fun. My suggestion is, enjoy AW1 but if it ever starts to feel tedious, just jump over to AW2. And if you love every moment of AW1, great! You have many many hours of VR gaming ahead of you!

Ah, that hadn’t occurred to me, I cranked it to Epic and it looks great on the 3. As long as it isn’t a joke like The Walking Dead difference, I’m sure I’ll adapt.

I have same GPU - it depends on the game but I like doing 120hz where I can. :)

For example, VTROL VR at 120hz runs wonderfully at full frame rate. No Man’s Sky works best for me at 120hz too, because you can’t get much more than a stable 60 anyway and having Quest interpolate to 120 it is pretty smooth, much better than trying to maintain a stable 72 on that game. Same goes for Project Cars 3.

Typically if it’s hard to reach a consistent, native 90fps I’ll instead aim for 60, doubled to 120hz.

I’m deep into AW1, wanting to do the games in order, but I’m getting the sense AW2 is made to be approachable without it, given so many won’t have the PC to run the first one, even if they are giving it free.

I’m quite enjoying AW1… I wouldn’t call it an RPG as much as an action-adventure game… even though you can revisit areas, the progression is mostly scripted and linear with puzzles, generally less freeform than I expect out of a western rpg, … and they do a lot of inventory management/crafting/buying/selling that I’m finding fairly tedious and that I think is there mostly to take up time, rather than make meaningful choices. But the general feel of the world, the scale and layout of the environments, the crafted encounters and general production values are really great.

Combat… I almost gave up and dropped down to Mortal, but I kept at it in Legendary difficulty long enough to crack the code. No idea if they kept the armor gimmick in the sequel, but here, to prevent the player from wand spamming the baddies, you have to forcefully parry a special attack that only happens when the enemy rage meter is full. Once you are attentive to that rage meter in view, you can anticipate the special attack more reliably (because it can come in really fast) … and then the last big trick is to always dual wield (the shield can be too cumbersome so I go with whatever else) … and then because different baddies vary their special attack timing, I layer my parry with a staggered one-two of my arms, which basically doubles how long my arms are performing the required speed and direction to get a success. This has now made the combat challenging, but fun. For a while I had trouble identifying the special attack and responding in time (they made it too similar to the unblockable red and black attack) but now it’s all clicking. I do think I prefer the less gamey combat of Dungeons of Eternity, but the nature of the arena combat spawning in AW1, and the non-physics based setup they have, guided them here I think. It’s a decent workout too!

I’m trying Racket Club today, It’s cool, but definitely I’m going to need a few more games against the AI to just get up to what we could call ‘mediocre level’. Right now I’m bad as hell lol

Serious question, why the heck hasn’t Meta introduced fully functional accessory controllers? I’d buy one shaped like a golf grip immediately, and there’s a huge market for gun analogues (that wouldn’t have to look like a gun at all, just provide a trigger and some grips with proper spacing and a shoulder rest.)

Feels like when it comes to accessories like that, third parties do it just fine and be way cheaper than Meta would sell them for. Look at the battery strap comparisons.

Does the Quest have a friend group system that we can have an accessible pool of people that we can quickly get games going from the community? I have a few contacts from here in my friends list, but they’re (you’re) all individuals I’m not going to manually harass to play golf, Onward, Racket CLub etc. Ideally it would be like the Discord group that can then quickly from there hop into a host room if someone says ‘come play X with me’. I guess a Facebook group would almost have worked (if that’s viewable and notification-giving in-headset) but not sure if everyone has a Facebook profile if Oculus accounts are now separate.

Eurogamer very excited by it…

I wonder how well it supports games outside of the official Unreal Engine 4.8 - 5.3 support?

Crackdown 3 is an early version of Unreal Engine (4.2, probably, given the release date) and would be a freaking amazing experience in VR.

I finally managed to make myself sick in VR for the first time.
Yesterday I wanted to try racing Sims and went with Live For Speed, which is old, but still maintained and updated and with great VR support.
Everything went well for an hour or so, then started trying cars and after a couple of laps in one of them I felt sick and had to stop.

I was curious so I tried again today some other cars and tracks and everything was ok until I finally hopped into the same car as yesterday and… Insta need to puke again.

BUT WHY

FOR SCIENCE

Ha!

Is there something about that specific car that’s different??

It’s time to kick people in the back and shoot them in the butt in VR!