Voter ID Laws

Oh hey, I was browsing news sites today and came across this great little read. How topical:

Specifically, Democrats tend to claim that fraud isn’t caused by identity theft.

There is endless speculation that it occurs by other means, e.g. tampering with ballots or voting machines. And there are certainly cases of people registering and/or trying to vote in multiple locations, including a Republican candidate for attorney general.

But these problems are not solved by stricter voter identification.

Thanks! figured there had to be something, but wasn’t sure and was posting from phone.

Are you fucking kidding me? You just linked to a video made by James O’Keefe, right? And you have the temerity to snark about partisan rejection of the source. Surreal.

Can’t we all just get along? I can only imagine how right-wing militias would react if their perceived political opposition was putting up road blocks between them and voting booths. They’d actually have a legitimate brick to lay in the foundation of their anti-govt paranoia.

Just want to say for 3 years in a row I had to validate my ballot, we do mail in ballots here, because they thought my signature didn’t match perfectly. I’m the only person I know of who has had this problem. And when I saw the original signature, the one i made at 18 to what I do now, I realized they’re not using a handwriting expert just some clerk, probably who saw a visual difference.

Now the extra hoops I have to jump through to renew my license because of the TSA… just causes headaches. I saw three elder individuals return home because they didn’t realize they needed more identification… clearly the conniving bunch met their match!

What do you need to renew your license because of the TSA?
Is it because of some of those new national id laws?

Public service announcement: you can fly even if you don’t have ID. The TSA itself agrees. But it will take longer to get through security. Here is what to expect.

Also, this only applies to domestic travel. You definitely can’t fly internationally without a passport.

Yes which our state still doesn’t qualify for apparently since we had to get an extension. I used my passport, I think my parents used their birth certificate and social security cards. Those 50+ seemed completely unaware they had to have those IDs, so I reminded them. And at the DMV they have one person at the start of the area/lines to make sure you have what you need before you get in line which saves time at least.

I had to show these documents when I first got the license by the way.

This is require for our Driver’s License, and it’s required because I believe our state is trying to be compliant with the TSA. And the voter fraud crap comes up every year in this state as a reason to destroy our mail in system.

Heh, I think every state had gotten extensions. I was reading about it with Washington, and they got an extension… And then I wondered if my ID was still going to work, only to find that we are now on our second or third extension.

I used my passport, I think my parents used their birth certificate and social security cards.

Yeah, sound like it’s basically the same requirements for getting a job. Basically, proof that you are who you say you are, and proof that you are a citizen. Or actually, I guess not, since they didn’t need a photo of ID? Or maybe they used their existing licenses for that?

Yes, I’ve done it. Misplaced my ID the day before a trip and got through security just fine. Other than having to submit to a (rather thorough) pat-down and having my hands checked by a robot for explosive dust, it wasn’t really a big deal…took an extra 15 minutes, maybe?

Of course, I’m a white male over 40, so that probably didn’t hurt.

I proved this when I got the license in the first place. These are for renewals and it’s just a waste of time that makes someone else feel good and still doesn’t qualify the state for the TSA requirements.

Ah, well that’s not quite true. For many state IDs, we didn’t prove our citizenship. The new IDs actually will, I believe, but current state identification doesn’t tend to fulfill that requirement.

That’s why when you apply for employment, you need to give more than just your driver’s license. You generally need to provide a driver’s license or other photo I’d to prove your identity, PLUS something to prove you are allowed to work in the US (for most citizens, the suicidal security card covers this). Or, certain types of IDs, like a passport or military ID can do both.

I don’t know how you can say that’s not quite true. I know the documents I gave for my driver’s license… there was a bit of a incident around it. I will never forget what documents I gave to prove my identity to get my license Timex. So maybe it’s not quite true for you, but it was for me… and it was required.

When you fill out an I-9, a driver’s license is not acceptable for proving your eligibility to work, because it doesn’t prove you are a citizen. That’s why, with that ID, you still need to provide some other form of ID.

Maybe Oregon always required this kind of thing, but they would have been the exception rather than the rule for older licenses, I believe. However, they definitely do require it now.

If they didn’t used to require it, and now do, then that would be why an existing license isn’t enough to renew.

In PA, we only need our existing license to renew, but our requirements haven’t changed.

I’m not talking about employment. I am talking about getting a driver’s license. You’re the one that brought in the employment angle. And guess what, my employer doesn’t ask me to prove my identity again every 4-5 years either.

The reason I was pointing out the i9 was that maybe with the new national ID system, they are requiring your ID to perform the same kind of identity duties as a passport, whereas it didn’t previously.

In this state, you have to continuously show your documentation for the renewals. As if they have no record that you showed it before. Employers do not do that. You only show it once when you’re hired. By the time we’re done with what people say they want, how many times a year do we have to prove our citizenship for the DMV, for voting, for employment, for the TSA… it’s getting ridiculous.

Florida has Real ID driver’s licenses (and has for years). We had to provide documentation once when renewing the first time after Real ID was adopted by the state, but not at each renewal after that. If one doesn’t have a birth certificate or US passport, there are other ways to prove one’s identity. If you have name changes from marriage(s) or other reasons, they have to be documented once.

The bad thing about Real ID is that all of the documentation provided by licensees has been scanned and is stored, presumably forever, by the state in electronic form, and theoretically hackable by bad actors.

One impact of Scalia’s death is that at least one voter ID law will likely be struck down–in North Carolina.