Voter ID Laws

That is awesome. On to the Supreme Court, I assume.

Republican-appointed judge, with a pretty thoroughly reasoned opinion. Rick Hasen – who may have a bias, but knows more about this stuff than I ever will – thinks it stands as written.

When the judge’s ruling includes, “You’re so bad at this I’m going to assume you’re an idiot and instruct you to take classes.”

In response:

Kobach’s argument in this case was the stuff off legend, when it comes to incompetent lawyering.

Even before this ruling, i remember reading stuff about how his presentation of his case was pants on head retarded.

Ah, yeah, here’s one of them. Kobach’s argument was sooooooo bad.

When the judge cites your own witness as evidence for your opponent’s case, you done fucked up.

So, here in Michigan we’ve got a proposal on the ballot this year to make it easier to vote.

It’s got overwhelming support (as of polls of a week or two ago). Between this and the anti-gerrymandering proposal also on the ballot, there may be hope yet for accurate representation in Michigan.

I remember voting in MIchigan in the 80s. Great big mechanical lever machines.

(only, you know, with Michigan candidates)

At the top were a couple of “Democratic Party Ticket” and “Republican Party Ticket” levers.

Heh, I used one of those voting machines in PA… in 2002.

I remember using something like that in California in the 70s and maybe 80s. I have voted by mail for 20+ years.

Hope that works for you. Here in Missouri we had an amendment pass that put restrictions on puppy mills. Apparently we are one of the worst states for that.

Then the Republican state government basically overturned the amendment by passing a new law restoring things to what they were.

Weird Al on voting.

Good news in New Hampshire.

With just over two weeks to go until voters head to the polls, a judge has blocked the state from using new voter registration regulations that require voters to prove they live where they’re trying to vote. Instead, the judge says the state needs to switch back to the registration forms used in 2016.

Hillsborough County Superior Court Judge Kenneth Brown issued his ruling on the voter law — commonly referred to as “Senate Bill 3” or “SB3” — on Monday afternoon. You can read his full order here.

Brown’s ruling drew heavily on testimony from experts about the burdens SB3 could place on individual voters and on New Hampshire’s voting system as a whole. That testimony came during a two-week hearing held earlier this fall to decide the law’s fate. (You can catch up on NHPR’s full coverage of that hearing here.)

Kudos to Lyft after Dodge City, KS moved the ONLY polling place for a town of 27k, out of town and over a mile from the nearest bus stop:

That’s great but it’s not going to make a difference. By moving the polling place they’ve successfully prevented a ton of people from voting. A Lyft ride or two won’t make a dent

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. Closest I could find.

So I’ve talked above in this thread about our voter-friendly ballot proposals here in Michigan this year. The opposition campaigns are in full swing, as evidenced by my mail today:

New photo by Skip Franklin

New photo by Skip Franklin

Sheesh, there is absolutely no subtlety here. Two black liberals pictured. Scaremongering about “unaccountable bureaucrats” being put in charge of voting. Nothing about conflict of interest in the current system. Fearmongering about how much it will cost. (None of which has any basis in fact, except possibly that Obama and Holder would support the measure, assuming they’re even aware that it exists.)

I guess this is my own fault for living in a almost-rural area at the very edge of the suburbs. Unfortunately I can see this flyer working on many of the folks who live in the area, particularly in the direction away from the city.

Dodge City hadn’t done quite enough to suppress their Latinx majority’s vote

I’m not sure what this indicates in Texas.

She says she expected all Democrats to come up on her screen, especially Rep. Beto O’Rourke, but when she got to the last screen to review her choices, she noticed a problem.

“It’s all Democratic except for Ted Cruz was checked,” Blake said.

So she backed up and did it again. And again.

“I tried it a third time and the same thing happened,” she said.

The same thing happened to Cordell Hosea in Fort Bend County.

“When I got to the end, I just so happened that I glanced at the screen, I saw Ted Cruz was selected as my senator,” Hosea said.

He too voted straight ticket Democrat.

But it’s not just a Democrat problem. Voters who select straight-party Republican unselect Sen. Cruz and wind up voting for no one. Either way, officials say it’s a rare issue that happens, but not to everyone.

It’s popped up across Texas often enough for the Secretary of State to put up a statewide advisory on Monday to every Texas election advisor.

The Secretary of State calls it ‘operator error.’

“We’ve heard from voters over a number of elections about this,” said Ft. Bend County Election Administrator John Oldham.

Oldham says it’s a problem he’s seen for years.

HMMMMMmmmmm. The rest of the article offers a scenario in which a poorly designed voter system might indeed malfunction in such a way. Maybe they should get that looked at?

I love what that article describes…people overcoming disenfranchisement through effort and legwork, then exercising their right to vote the assholes out. I’m too cynical to think such efforts are making enough difference to matter, but I’d love to be wrong.