VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

The deep learning based foveated rendering was pretty neat. Good thing I have those tensor cores now. :) I’ll be ready when it arrives in 4 years.

The Samsung Odyssey has the same resolution as the Vive Pro and costs $500.

I was only tangentially aware of the Odyssey, does it support all the same games?

The answer to that seems to be “mostly, but there are exceptions”.

My ultra cheap microsoft mixed reality headset would like a word with you. It’s the only headset I have tried, and I still don’t understand what the ‘screen door effect’ is when it’s explained.

I don’t know if Oculus is better than the Vive about it - since I’ve never tried the latter, but even with prescription lens inserts - which amplify the screen door effect, I honestly don’t even notice if I’m not actively looking for it.

Likewise. Non issue for me over here in Oculus land.

Yes, for the most part I think it is something you tune out after a while, but I still notice it at times.

Find someone who has an old Oculus DK2 lying around. That had a screen door effect you couldn’t miss.

yup, that thing gave me real world screendoor from the afterimages if I flew an hour or so with it.

Skyrim VR is just incredible.

The sense of scale and depth to everything makes it feel like the first real RPG I have ever played. The hand controls feel great (disclaimer: I am using mixed reality so my controllers have two joypads and two trackpads so it might be less great on other devices) considering it’s an old pancake RPG, and maneuvering is just as fantastic. If I got motion sickness from smooth walking/running with the joypad I can imagine this would be a much less immersive experience (then you’d have to teleport around), but if you have the stomach for it it’s perfect.

It took me about 5 hours setting up all of the mods for it, which may sound like alot but it is worth it. The game looks beautiful, there is so much detail and noteworthy facets to this vast world it makes me feel like a kid when I put on my headset and don the magical hand controllers that become swords and spells. It’s been quite a long time since I have played the original and so none of the content feels stale. I downloaded a couple of gameplay mods that add alot of interesting perks as well as spells, so the systems are fresh and interesting as well.

It’s hard to really communicate how great it feels to explore and interact a virtual world in 3d VR like this.

It has to rank in my top 5 gaming experiences of all time, and alone has made the purchase of the VR headset worth it.

My only complaints:

• It’s hard to be a ‘killer app’ when you need to spend all of that initial investment getting the mods set up. It runs fine out of the box too, but the VR immersion isn’t as impressive when the meshes are mostly flat and the textures are so low res.
  • I am finding that I get eye strain after about 50 minutes of play. Is this usual? My headset doesn’t have physical IPD adjustment (only software), I wonder if that is the culprit. It looks clear and feels fine prior to that point, though. I also think it’s easy to forget to blink as often as the eyes need when immersed in VR.
  • The game really needs a way for you to easily view your character with its armour on. That is an essential part of a RPG game! There is a mod but it’s cumbersome.

Sounds very much like an IPD problem.

Skyrim VR made it difficult to go back to pancake games. And now I want VR in all my first person games. How can I possibly play The Elder Scrolls 6 now if it doesn’t have VR?!

Be sure to turn off Dynamic Resolution in the Skyrim settings, all it seems to do is make things a little more blurry.

I don’t get eye strain, but the Rift does have a physical IPD adjustment, so that could be it.

Awesome. Any chance you could list the mods you think are worthwhile? I have to say it’s the effort of assembling mods that has stopped me buying this so far.

What do you mean about the armour? Does the VR version actually enforce a 1st person view? Interesting… hadn’t occurred to me.

This is the guide I followed, although I didn’t install all of the ones in the list. In the guide he goes through the major ones: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8riiqk/and_refined_my_texture_and_modding_guide_140/

I would say the biggest ones are…
The major mesh/texture replacers: SMIM, Noble, Skyland, Underground
Other graphics stuff: HD LODs, Obsidian weathers, majestic mountains, ELFX, Veydosebrom,
NPC look: WICO (also the hardest thing to install as for it to work I had to get XP32 which needed FNIS which is tricky to set up)
Gameplay: Ordinator (lots more perks) and Apocalypse (alot more spells)
Interface: SkyUI-VR which needs SKSE VR
More armors/weapons: Immersive armors, immersive weapons, etc.

Regarding armour, the VR version does enforce 1st person view. It’s because you’re doing everything with your hands which wouldn’t make much sense 3rd person! There is a mod called VR mirror which lets you look at your character while stationary.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is crazy good. It’s a Nintendo quality platformer.

This is crazy. If you unfocus your eyes and line up both frames of an oculus shot you can actually get a full 3d effect. Similar to those calendars that were popular a number of years back showing all the noise with a picture of a unicorn or something that pops out. Same principle. Totally works.

This is now on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cybershoes/cybershoes-step-into-vr

That looks bad.

Hope it comes with some kind of Rollerball toe-in.