VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Well, I picked up the PSVR Move bundle for $249 yesterday and tinkered with the demo ver.2 disc…

My first thoughts, above all others, is to say thank you to @KevinC and others that helped push me over the edge. I play games. Lots and lots of games. I was jealous of neighborhood kids that had Colecovisions and Ataris. I begged my parents for quarters at pizza parlors. I collected systems and carts as I aged. I hauled computers to Doom LAN parties. I’ve built beefy gaming PCs for years. I have closets stuffed with crazy Kickstarter board games. I’ve been to niche arcade games like pods. And…I was not prepared for what I experienced last night.

The Battlezone demo was a treat. The things I read about videos not doing justice to the VR experience were way, WAY more correct than I ever could have imagined. YouTube cannot help or aid a buying decision here. PSVR was not only visually and auditorily rich, but I was not expecting how much depth there would be or how varied the lighting would seem. How the experience…feels. The 3D of movies or even rides like Star Tours now feels “meh”.

As I sat in the Battlezone tank cockpit before launch, I was marveling at how it looked like I was in some electronic pod with a closed shell around the outside of the tank. It wasn’t just a cockpit with a window. It was like a real cockpit, that I could turn inside to look around at information pads instead of just player centered UI bits (including one that even had my PSN name inscribed on the panel like a fighter jet). The window was above, but more than that, OUTSIDE the window was like a digital sheath that rolled back when the tank was deployed. It had a very immersive drone combat command module feel. Once fighting, I expected it to be like mouse look with a centered cursor, but it wasn’t. It was like I was in a car with free look everywhere and windows, panels, and levers all around. The shooting interface stayed up front as I turned. I could even see the gun move up and down outside the window. Yes all games have a gun drawn outside the cockpit, but this gun looked OUTSIDE. I was in the cockpit seeing the cannon arm raise as I aimed. It is hard to describe the difference, but it was fantastic for feeling like I was IN a tank.

More than all this though was the realization of what I guessed at from playing the Switch version. The audio of shots, explosion, and vehicles around me were impressive. Not just the surround sound that I experienced with the Switch and my theater system, but a real immersion as sound played around me as I moved not only in game, but moved my head WITHIN the game that I was moving in. Again, it is hard to describe.

Lighting too surprised me. I am still not sure how they did it, but I had a real sense of light inside the headset. When the tank docked and the shell folded back over the cockpit, there was a feeling of bright lights coming on in the cockpit. Like the goggles had a light dimmer inside it or something. It was a weird effect. Also in combat there was a real sense of light, glow, and flash as shots whizzed over or tanks blew up. I can’t really describe it, but as a gamer that has played many games, this one felt like it had not just light sourcing, but light itself as a tool. I guess like some amusement park 3D rides, but they have actual light and fire to play with. The VR headset doesn’t.

Once upon a time I was so mesmerized with one of the Star Wars pods at an arcade that I thought seriously about dropping major cash to buy one. My buddy owns pinball machines, so why not? I didn’t do it though. The experience with Battlezone last night dwarfed the pod experience. And it was in my freaking living room.

I stand by my initial review when I first took off the headset. With a boyish grin, and to an empty room I exclaimed, “holy F&@$!” It was an experience not to be missed by a gamer.

Going back to @Desslock, I can now see why the demo seemed shallow. It’s a basic tutorial/ tech demo with a very shallow arcade feel. Having the full version on Switch I can safely say the demo peels all of the game out of the game. They briefly touch on it on the map/deploy interface, but it’s pretty confusing there. The game is an FTL roguelike where you progress through random sectors and missions collecting resources and tech to upgrade. Some spots are stores. Some have new tech. There is a nemesis meter like For the King to worry about as enemies get more dangerous and boss tanks chase you on the strategic map. You combat the raising of the meter by going to certain types of sectors. You lower the final mission difficulty by going to shield generator sectors and destroying them. You also gain currency to buy upgrades by doing missions and killing enemies. However, the more sectors you go to, then more meter builds. Also sectors are unknown unless you spend currency to scan them. There is a lot of strategic give and take decisions to make. Also, certain tech unlocks can appear in future games.

I also now understand @Tim_N statement about teleporting. Even in Battlezone I felt a roller coaster like weightlessness in my stomach at times. This was most appearantly when changing elevation or looking over my shoulder while moving.

It was worse when I tried the Persistance demo. This was a different kind of immersive in a randomly generated roguelike space station with zombies. It felt like a System Shock meets Rogue Legacy. This one was rough on me though. I don’t get car sick or sea sick, and have never been ill in the slightest when playing FPS games. After a few minutes of Persistance, I felt woozy. A few minutes later I was nauseated, my face felt cool, and I was needing to burp and lay down. My fiancé, who doesn’t play FPSers and isn’t comfortable with thumbstick movement, felt severely ill after just a few minutes playing and for many hours still after she had stopped using the headset. She is afraid of trying more VR. This too was a VR element that I was really surprised by. Which sucks because Persistance seemed like a really cool, spooky sci fi/ rogue-like/ Resident Evil. I will go back and see if teleporting helps. I read a bit last night and folks said there was a bit of a learning curve to VR sickness. Others said even walking in place as you move in game can help since it is your brain fighting in game movement with a physical sedentary reality. Yesterday I saw teleporting as a controller tech limitation or a built in developer hack, but now I can get behind seeing it as a sort of technological Dramamine.

I think that’s the way of the future. Though the go is limited to 3DoF, I think Oculus’s next was supposedly 6DoF. Even not being on PC platform, that’s quite an advancement, and I’m hoping it has more power to have even heavier stuff on it. Reddit seems to have quite a few threads on people side-loading or modding in ways to get the Go to do even more, so I can imagine if they keep advancing the technology, there will be a crossover point for fully contained VR, versus tethered VR to be the norm.

More thoughts on the Go later once we’ve tried it out.

Not a lot more power. The Go is a Snapdragon 821, the Quest is an 835, and there’s no dedicated processing for the inside out tracking, apparently.

Aww, damn. Not good to hear.

Same with me. Because I’ve never had issues with anything, I always just assumed that the VR sickness that others described wouldn’t affect me any more than bobbing heads in FPSs that affect others. But not only did I feel nauseous from VR - it was almost “stronger” than nausea - I wasn’t actually barfing, but man, I felt “wrong” in a pretty violent way. Unfortunately, Skyrim VR gives me that so I’ve limited my playing time. i have heard that it gets mitigated with experience, so hopefully that’ll be the case.

Do either you or @Chaplin get sea sick? Your descriptions roughly sound like what some people got below decks on the ship I served on. Motion without being able to see a horizon or level plane.

Not generally, but I did get nauseous once being on a small boat after a day of snorkeling in rough seas (not sure if it was because of being tossed around while snorkeling or the subsequent boat ride, but it only manifested during the latter). I was certain I was going to be sick, but somehow fought it off and it passed. It was similar to the VR nausea.

I’m so glad that you bought the PSVR and that you had such a positive experience with it!! I’m always hesitant to “evangelize” for particular games or technologies because I worry about what blows me away might not work at all for other people, and I’d hate to have been the one that talked them into wasting money, if you know what I mean. The VR experience is just something special, though.

I really enjoyed your writeup of your first forays with VR. It’s really something else, isn’t it? And it’s something that really has to be experienced firsthand, IMO. You can talk all your want about immersion and the feel of being in the game, but it doesn’t really click until you experience it yourself.

Anyway, I’m really happy about your experience with it. I hope you have plenty of time for gaming available over the upcoming holidays. :)

Is there a good list of the best PSVR games you can play without the move controllers?

Astro Bot, Moss, Wipeout Omega Collection, Static, Rez, Tetris,are all DualShock games and good to great.

Thanks! I have moss and Astro bot thanks to the bundle, and also Rez. Not a huge fan of wipeout, but I’ll check out static. Tetris is absolutely on my list too.

I’m fairly resistant to any kind of motion or movement nausea. While in the Navy, it wasn’t uncommon to see people really affected when they could not see the horizon. There is a disconnect between your brain seeing movement, and what your body feels. While this scenario seems a bit opposite, I’m wondering if it’s the same underlying cause.

Side story: While serving on the ship, our small office area had a hook on the ceiling. When a new person arrived on the ship working in our office, we would make a show out of clipping a metallic ball on it, at the length of some fishing line, which was tied back to the hook. There was also a dot drawn on the floor roughly below where it hung. When underway and hitting the first of rough seas at some point, we would give the newcomers an in-joke by handing them a ruler and having them, “measure the list,” from said contraption. You would not BELIEVE how quickly that could make someone sick. You can’t see any plane, but your body impulsively tries to make a level plane so you could attempt to measure how far the metallic ball had moved from center, again, along a plane your mind is making without being able to see what’s outside.

Try Dramamine for VR?

Oh, and Resident Evil 7 too.

That sucks, I hope it improves for you. I guess keep trying different games for bits at a time and make use of any “comfort features” that games offer.

I don’t think anyone is truly immune. Nothing affected me, but then I tried a pcvr game called adrift where you are adrift in space and the weird movement made me feel sick after playing. I suppose actual astronauts get that feeling and more, so maybe in that game it’s good for immersion!

It does seem that most people get accustomed to VR and overcome the sickness as they adapt to it. The general advice is to start slow and if you feel at all sick then stop immediately and don’t try to push through it. Then build up over time.

There are some people that never seem to adapt to it, but it does seem that most manage to. Which is why fewer and fewer VR games are coming out with teleport controls as the default.

Interestingly, I suffer from pretty terrible car sickness in real life. Even short car journeys of a few minutes can mess me up. But I was running around and circle strafing in Skyrim VR with smooth locomotion and smooth turning from the moment I first put on a VR headset without getting sick at all. Thankfully I seem largely resistant to VR induced nausea.

Oh, and welcome to VR! I always love reading the impressions of people that are picking it up for the first time :)

Try ginger capsules or chews for VR motion sickness. Works great for me (and for motion sickness generally). If you’re prone to issues, take some before starting play. There are candied ginger chews on Amazon which are quite yummy. I’ll chew on a couple for Skyrim, or when bouncing about in my buggy in Elite.

Just don’t try to push through it. If you’re feeling vaguely bad, stop playing. If you try to tough it out, you’ll very likely feel like crap for hours if not days.

To all the newcomers: VR is made for cockpit games. Try a plane or a racing car, or a spaceship if you must. Planes are best tho. Take it from me. Nothing like doing a catapult take-off in an F/A-18C hornet in VR.

Jesus so much this. I had a bad experience with Driveclub and didn’t listen to my body. Was miserable for days and haven’t touched my PSVR since (for multiple reasons, but mostly this).

Glad it was positive to read. I felt after I posted it that I was a bit too evangelical, but darn if it wasn’t a wild ride. Actually, VR last night was probably my strongest positive AND negative experience with video gaming. The experience blew me away, but the physical impact was equally powerful. I definitely plan to dig in with bite sized steps over the holiday weekend!

@Desslock @Skipper Yeah, I’ve never been bothered by FPS head bob and sort of felt bad for those that did. I never understood it. My parents had a boat when I was growing up so not a lick of sea sickness or car sickness to speak of. Something about the VR or Persistance game really messed with me though. I might try the ginger chew gum idea.

I am both thrilled and afraid to try Skyrim. I also have a serious dilemma about Christmas and the temptation to buy up all of my VR toys for myself now rather than waiting.