VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

I bought the Virtual Desktop app for my Quest and tried using it to run SteamVR games, but couldn’t get it to work. Tried updating all my drivers and Steam, but nothing worked. Ended up requesting a refund, unfortunately. Might try again in a couple months once it has received a few more patches.

You have to install Steam VR first, then install the Virtual Desktop Streamer for the drivers to work. That might have been the issue.

Well, now I just feel silly. Oh well, I’ll have to try again sometime.

BTW, been super impressed with the Quest so far. Its rare that anything lives up to my expectations nowadays, but the Quest just works so damn well. Really hope that we see more VR game development in the next couple years because of it.

So I returned my Rift S. Partially it was due to the criticisms in my previous post (though none of it was earth shattering and hard stop) but mostly because I think I used up all my VR excitement the last time I owned a Rift. So this time I started playing some of the games I had and one or two new ones and just didn’t have the same excitement (outside of beat saber). After a week I decided to just keep the $400 for now.

I think I’m more interested in the stereoscopic 3d effect than the actual VR aspects, as I was feeling tired of first person style games. Moss is heavily interesting as a differentiator but for now it seems like the exception rather than the norm. Maybe I’ll give it a try again in a few more years when the game scene is more varied.

I sort of feel the same, but I do have Lone Echo to try, Skyrim to finish with, and I kind of wanted to see the No Man’s Sky vr mode too. Maybe I should swap over now, and sell the S on later. Not sure worth the hassle though.

Playing some Trover Saves the Universe and it’s pretty funny. Love how it’s made for VR first but supports pancake play too. Not that I’ve tried it that way. :)

Interesting that you control a character in the game for some platform/combat/puzzling action in third person, from the first-person perspective of another character stuck in a chair. The art design is great too, really vibrant.

I’ve been enjoying it also. I’ve never seen Rick & Morty so this flavor of comedy is all new to me but it’s pretty great. The game sticks you with impossible moral dilemmas and then really turns the screws on you for whichever choice you make. And the tutorial soap opera As the Chair Turns was so funny I started over just to watch it again.

Yeah that tutorial TV thing was genius!

Also love how the characters in-game just constantly comment on what you’re doing, in between their streams of hilarious ad-lib nonsense.

Also the way the dialogue resumes after you interrupt it flows really well.

does this game work without VR controllers, say with an xbox controller?

Oculus shafted me as an early adopter. I paid 550euro for my rift before the hand controllers were a thing. They never offered me those at anything less than a 100 fucking euros. To this day I feel miffed about that. And of course refuse to buy those things, neat though they are.

Heh same, except opposite since I bought them as soon as they became available. :P

Yep the game is designed for an xbox controller since it also supports non-VR play.

It doesn’t use Touch for anything other than sticks and buttons (bar moving the controller around visually in your character’s hands which has no actual gameplay effect).

I’ll take “Good ways to piss off your customers” for $800, Alex:

Why is there no thread for Trover? It’s one of the funniest games I’ve ever seen.

Because you haven’t made it, obviously. We’re all just waiting on you.

Cause it’s not on Quest :(

Cross post from space thread. Anyways now supporting VR.

Give us some impressions, anyone who plays it please. :)

Particularly how well the VR controls work.

What is it? I can’t see Steam images/links from work.

SpaceEngine, the previously-free ‘science-based photorealistic interactive 3D planetarium that models the entire Universe, using procedural generation for uncharted areas’

Oh right, I saw that a couple of days ago. I played with Space Engine years ago.

Universe Sandbox 2 works in VR. You can stand in the middle of the solar system and toss planets around.

While it is understandable why people are pissed about this, it is absolutely not surprising at all. It’s basically the same as someone releasing a game on Switch and then updating it to include a built-in SNES emulator (though Nintendo’s reaction would be much more severe). Besides, you can still side-load ALVR, which is basically the same thing (though not as convenient).