VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

Most games that I’ve played on Rift support that. I always enable it. Hopefully Quest is same!

I was successfully able to install custom songs for BeatSaber using NyanBlade’s utility. It worked flawlessly and I now have a couple of dozen excellent custom songs to play there. (I really like how Gagnam Style makes you do the dance.) On the other hand, it also deleted my progress in the campaign. 😖

And it turns out I was wrong. There’s a way to restore your campaign progress. So maximum win! Yay!

EDIT: And apparently, NyanBlade also has casting to a separate screen and custom blades working in Beat Saber, but is ironing it out before releasing that.

Excellent. Whereabouts do you get songs from?

I recall trying to sift through the piles of user-made rubbish prior to the release of the official editor, is it any easier now to find good stuff?

The most popular songs on Beat Saver are a good place to start:
https://beatsaver.com/index.php/browse/downloads

And the BeastSaber site has a good curated list of playlists. If you click through to the playlist, you can download songs individually by clicking the down arrow icon next to each song.
https://bsaber.com/category/playlists/

Cool, thanks! I like how Beastsaber lets you browse by genre.

This is pretty great, especially on my Rift S. You have a hoverboard, grappling hooks, and hand boosters. You glide along the surface and get massive airtime. Feels amazing, and for some reason I haven’t got any motion sickness from it.

My Rift S came today. Text is definitely a lot clearer on it than the original Rift. Didn’t really notice the resolution bump since I haven’t used the original Rift in a few months but everything seems nice and clear. Only tried Beat Saber so far though, will have to try more games later (I’m particularly looking forward to playing games like Red Stare, which wasn’t really playable with a 2 sensor setup due to needing full 360 rotation).

I’m not terribly happy with the controllers. The rings being above your hand meant I kept smacking the headset accidentally. They feel lighter and more floaty (which might not be a negative but may be more just something I have to get used to). The vibration in them is WAY turned down and it a lot of time it was hard to feel if I hit blocks in BS or not.

Also hate the foam mask and can’t wait for vrcover to come out with one that can have sweat wiped off like I had on my original rift.

I ordered a PU leather VR Cover yesterday, but ship date isn’t until July :(

And, relatedly, I’ve nearly conquered the Beat Saber campaign and after 2 hours of that this evening I am a sweaty, quivering mess. I’ve never played League of Legends in my life, but I’m now number 80 on the global leaderboards for K/DA’s POP/STARS on Hard. (It’s surprising how slow the notes seem after spending an hour trying (and finally succeeding) to get 400k points with 5 or less bad cuts on Rum n Bass Expert.)

20 minutes of Asgard’s Wrath from Oculus Studios.

New trailer for Insomniac’s latest, Stormland:

Insomniac are making two VR games?

Heh, well I suppose it’s a compliment to the Asgard’s Wrath devs if you’re saying it looks good enough to be an Insomniac title!

I’ve now spent much more than an hour on this and have still not conquered it, though I’m so close.

So, it’s been at least 3 years since GPU prices have been reasonable. There are zero VR-capable GPUs available for less than $300. Even cards that cost less than $200 3 years ago are only available for that price used. Is this just the new normal? Prices will just never drop on gaming GPUs ever again? Seems to me this is a major barrier to widespread adoption of VR.

That will happen with things like Quest, which doesn’t need to buy any GPU.

Yeah Quest seems to be really taking off, moreso than any other device to date.

PSVR too.

Sony’s doing well with over 4 million sold but anything where you are tethered to another device that you also need to buy will never be mainstream. And pretty soon you’ll need to buy a PS5. :)

But I guess it depends on your definition of mainstream! 4 million probably isn’t it. I think of it like Wii, where people who don’t traditionally play video games are buying it. We have a long way to go.

The Quest is a big step; fully portable, 6dof, proper hand presence. Carmack lays it out in 2012:

So. I signed up for a trial of Shadow, which is a cloud gaming PC running high-end hardware. The cloud PC part of it works flawlessly. I literally cannot tell I’m running on a remote PC, and I can run all of my games at maximum settings and it’s all smooth as butter. What’s awesome though, is that Virtual Desktop works over the internet, so you can run the Virtual Desktop Streamer application on the Shadow PC and stream directly to your Quest headset; no local PC required. (Just a good WiFi connection.)

And what’s even more awesomer is that the latest version of Virtual Desktop includes a bespoke VR driver for Steam VR, so you can use the Shadow PC to run high-end VR apps and stream them over the internet to your Quest headset. I was swimming around in Subnautica and shooting slingshots in The Lab. There’s a slight lag due to the latency, but it’s barely noticeable. The future is here.