VR - Is it really going to be a success? Or, thanks Time for starting a discussion!

The Quest can stream VR content from your PC over WiFi. Virtual Desktop streams VR at 3648x2016 (total resolution), with a latency down around 70ms (which makes most content totally usable.) Bandwidth requirement is something like 20Mbps for full resolution, which most WiFi environments permit.

I’m going to be really interested to hear how the Index compares to the HP Reverb.

I’m happy with how much clearer the Rift S makes cockpit sims – it’s a marked difference from the CV1. But the Reverb is getting really good feedback on the DCS forums, and it’s way cheaper than the Index. (Plus, no base stations to deal with.)

Yah, the reverb looks pretty good, though I’ve heard about some reported quality control problems. For sim experiences, I think it might be the best choice right now. I do a fair bit of room scale and standing stuff, though, so that’s why I opted for the index.

Tested have looked at all of them, I think

There are not many games available for it yet this close to launch. Given its popularity you can bet devs are rushing to port their Rift stuff though!

This is probably the closest there is to a good dungeon crawl:

I got mine recently and it’s a nice piece of kit. The untethered portability combined with the full 6dof touch experience is a bit of a game changer. :)

Couple of specs for Vive Cosmos:

What’s the difference between the Cosmos and the Index…?

Inside-out tracking instead of Lighthouse sensors are a major difference between the two.

Also, the flip up design of the HMD suggests none of the weight of the headset will rest on your face. And there’s no top strap, so they must have figured out how to cantilever it properly.

I’m curious, the promotional material for the Cosmos says “Bring it home or to the office. Play it at a friend’s.” I assume they mean “assuming your office and/or friend has a powerful PC with all the software and drivers necessary to run the HMD.” Unless there will be some sort of standalone capability? Will it be wireless capable?

The controllers look suspiciously similar to the new Oculus Touch controllers.

It sounds like you can hook it up to a phone as well.

An HTC phone, presumably.

The Cosmos is also lower refresh rate. I would expect it to also have lower FoV than the Index, but I don’t think they’ve stated what the FoV is yet.

The new imaginarium command center has arrived! It’s got a 9700K at 5.1 (4.8 when running all 8 cores), an Nvidia 2080, and plenty of SSD storage. Really pleased with the system. I don’t usually do prebuilts, but for a premium of only about $150 over parts, this was a bit of a no-brainer.

Can’t tell from the picture, but it’s also tiny. About 14" high and 4" wide. Despite the compact space, cooling seems good. Haven’t seen the CPU exceed 67C at full load. Fans get a bit high-pitched, but that’ll get dampened once I put it in its final location.

My Index is arriving tomorrow. Over on Reddit, initial reactions seem to boil down to comfortable, great sound, very crisp displays, and mildly better FOV. A few people who are upgrading from a Vive Pro seem a bit ho-hum about it, but honestly that seems a bit of a sideways upgrade to me. Hopefully the transition from an OG Vive will be more impressive.

Have to get Elite and IL2 installed on this beast.

Do you mind linking the site you bought it from? I’ve got a computer desk with space that barely fits a typical mid-size tower and that computer looks perfect for it.

Here you are: CHRONOS Desktop, Best Gaming Desktop | ORIGIN PC

I love that your VR room is the Imaginarium. My son and I call ours the Dreamatorium.

Very pretty! I wonder how it compares to the Corsair One, which is another expensive but pretty prebuilt, hamstrung by a chunk of old mechanical storage. To the configurator!

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-ONE/corsair-one-i140-i160-config/p/CS-9020004-NA

My attempt to match the One with the 9700K/2080 Chronos comes out at $2700, and that’s with a 1TB SSD replacing the secondary HDD in the One. The One was $2800 so the Chronos takes it :)

So wait… You can get a Quest, and stream Steam VR to it? And it works well? Is this viable? That seems like the best of both worlds right there.

I’m wondering the same thing. Can we play Steam VR games with the Quest? Or is it limited to watching VR videos streamed from the PC?

Yes, you can play Steam VR (OpenVR) games on Quest using streaming. Can also play Rift games from Oculus Store, for which you need to run Revive. :)

I’ve not tried it yet but apparently the latest Virtual Desktop update works really well, the dev reduced latency quite a bit. There’s also ALVR which is free/open source.

Note that you do need to run in dev mode and sideload stuff to get it going, it’s not ‘out-of-the-box’. Though Carmack vaguely hinted that something more native might be in the works…

People also reporting that the Shadow streaming service works well too, so you don’t even need a PC. :)